Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Song 8 - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1048
Page 2 of 3

Author:  shadoes [ Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

here is KHL's track. twice thru with a Harper C

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... tf_khl.mp3

Author:  Judy K [ Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
What I usually do is zoom in really close, then drag one of the tracks slightly away from the starting point. If you drag it just a tiny bit, the result will be a "fatter" sound. If you drag it a little more, it sounds like you're in a large, empty auditorium. If you drag it even a little more than that, parts of your track will disappear. :shock:


:idea: Aha! That I know how to do! Thank ye, sir! :mrgreen:

Author:  shadoes [ Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here is Blackhawk's on his Gen Bb

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ckhawk.mp3

Author:  khl [ Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Blackhawk, the Generation Bb is a good choice for this one and I like the way you express yourself in this tune.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice job Blackhawk ... like the sound of the Bb ... bet you won't even see this until you get back.

Author:  shadoes [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Here is Kitty's track as she said recorded 20 years ago.


http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... kittyr.mp3

Author:  KittyR [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Disclaimer: Since this is on a 20-year-old cassette tape, it sounds really wobbly. If I can find a player that will play it better, I'll upload it again.

I'm doing all the tracks. The whistle was a no-name simple piece of rolled up tin my husband (then financé) picked up for me. I knew nothing about whistles or Irish music back then, just thought it would sound good on the recording, and it happened to be in the right key.

I was just a young'un back then. :)

Author:  Jim Wright [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:18 am ]
Post subject: 

That was very nice ... all blended well together ... what whistle were you using?

Author:  KittyR [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Jim, you and I were posting at the same time so you didn't see my disclaimer. See the post just above yours.

Kitty

Author:  RonKiley [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:09 am ]
Post subject: 

That was super Kitty. You have been doing this a long time. 20 years ago I had owned a whistle for 3 or 4 years but only played it maybe 10 minutes. In that 10 minutes I did not become a great player so I hung it up for 20 years.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:39 am ]
Post subject: 

RonKiley wrote:
That was super Kitty. You have been doing this a long time. 20 years ago I had owned a whistle for 3 or 4 years but only played it maybe 10 minutes. In that 10 minutes I did not become a great player so I hung it up for 20 years.

That's ok ... u finally took it down .. dusted it off and started playing .. and I am glad you did .. enjoy your clips. Guess they can teach us old dogs a new trick ever now and then .... given enough time! :D

Author:  KittyR [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:08 am ]
Post subject: 

RonKiley wrote:
You have been doing this a long time.

I have been recording a long time, but I didn't play the whistle any more after that until LisaD got me interested in them again just a couple years ago.

So you and me both let a lot of whistle time slip by! Glad we both made it back. :)

Author:  khl [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:25 am ]
Post subject: 

KittyR wrote:
I'm doing all the tracks. The whistle was a no-name simple piece of rolled up tin my husband (then financé) picked up for me. I knew nothing about whistles or Irish music back then, just thought it would sound good on the recording, and it happened to be in the right key.


Does your husband remember where he bought this (even the general area/state)? My guess is, given what was and wasn't available then, that this might be a Cooperman. Did it have a block of wood with it, similar to a Clarke or a Shaw?

Author:  KittyR [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:52 am ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Does your husband remember where he bought this (even the general area/state)? My guess is, given what was and wasn't available then, that this might be a Cooperman. Did it have a block of wood with it, similar to a Clarke or a Shaw?


Yes, if I remember correctly, the plug was wood and I think it was held in by a small nail, although not positive. I believe it was tapered as well.

We lived in Northern Virginia at the time so he must have picked it up at a folk music store - or I'm thinking he saw it at a fair or something, but I can't remember now. It came with a little book of tunes and fingering chart. Haven't seen it for about 18 years but it could still be around here somewhere. :shock: :D

Kitty

Author:  khl [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

KittyR wrote:
khl wrote:
Does your husband remember where he bought this (even the general area/state)? My guess is, given what was and wasn't available then, that this might be a Cooperman. Did it have a block of wood with it, similar to a Clarke or a Shaw?


Yes, if I remember correctly, the plug was wood and I think it was held in by a small nail, although not positive. I believe it was tapered as well.

We lived in Northern Virginia at the time so he must have picked it up at a folk music store - or I'm thinking he saw it at a fair or something, but I can't remember now. It came with a little book of tunes and fingering chart. Haven't seen it for about 18 years but it could still be around here somewhere. :shock: :D

Kitty


This is the same kind of whistle I had to start with four years ago (though I only used it a couple months and it rusted here in Hawaii -- gave up whistling until a year and a half ago). My wife, who grew up in Virginia, bought the whistle at Williamsburg -- part of the whole tourist/educational aspect of the place. She'd kept it, but never really used it. The tune book should be a kind of orange/rust color.

I've heard folks call them Williamsburg whistles or Cooperman (I think).

Author:  RonKiley [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Black Hawk I tried to play along with you on my Gen Nickel Bb. I have said Bb is not a whistle I get along with real well. However I was able to play right along with you. I hadn't thought about doing this until now. I thought since it was a Bb I would give it a try. This is good practice for playing with other people. I enjoyed it. I think I will go back and play along with everybody. :D :D

Author:  KittyR [ Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

RonKiley wrote:
I think I will go back and play along with everybody. :D :D

There is now a link to the compilation page in The Praise Exchange section on the main forum index - just like the links to the Jukebox and Praise Clips pages, although only a text link. This will make it easier for you to go back and play through all the songs posted so far.

(I need to update it with the latest still)

Kitty

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:03 am ]
Post subject: 

HEre are a couple more.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... t_khl2.mp3


http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nalbro.mp3

Author:  khl [ Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:26 am ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:


The first of these is mine. I already posted one clip, but last night I got to playing this on the Resonance Low D and did four verses, each in different moods or attitudes. So, I thought I'd send it on.

Author:  khl [ Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:26 am ]
Post subject: 

This one looks to be Ron's:
shadoes wrote:


Ron, what whistle are you using? I like the sound and the way you've interpreted this.

Author:  RonKiley [ Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

That is a very nice sounding low D Keith. I like the four versions. Yes Ron what whistle is that? I like the version as well.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kitty,
I like what you were doing twenty years ago. You must have had access to some pretty expensive equipment back then. It wasn't as easy as it is now. Unless you were splicing reel-to-reel at a radio station or something. Did you do your voice processing back then, or did you process it to post it now? If back then, what did you use? Where I worked we had a Yamaha SPX-90 that would produce reverb like that. Our stuff could come out a bit tinny if you weren't careful.

Also, twenty years doesn't seem to have aged your voice at all. :D

And finally--you were ornamenting an instrument you'd just picked up!!!!!! I heard a cut here and there! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that nice piece.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes, Ron. We all want to know. What kind of whistle? It has lovely tone. And your rolls are VERY nice.

Author:  KittyR [ Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Did you do your voice processing back then, or did you process it to post it now? If back then, what did you use?

It was all done back then; that's just a cassette copy of the mix-down. I worked at a church that did television production, and we had a very small studio for "sweetening" the audio. I was single at the time and could go up there in the evenings and play around with all the gadgets to my heart's content. You should hear some of my answering machine messages from back then. :)

It was recorded on 1-inch reel-to-reel with 8 tracks, and mastered on a 2-track. I have no idea what the reverb unit was.


ConnieS wrote:
you were ornamenting an instrument you'd just picked up!!!!!! I heard a cut here and there!

I was just tyring to make it "Irish-y" and thought it sounded right. Had no idea what I was doing.

You're such an encourager, Connie. Thanks! :)

Kitty

Author:  eternalbro [ Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi everybody,

That's a c whistle, from 'The Whistle Smith' in Maine. I just got it, and I love it. I got a low d also, and a low g auto flute, that is kind of a cross between a flute, and a whistle.

Thanks for the comments, and for all your clips to listen to. I don't get to spend much time on line, so I'm not here often, but I really enjoy the fellowship when I can get here.

God Bless, Ron

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/