Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: NEW "I Wonder As I Wander" and More!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:37 pm 

EDIT: I posted a new version of "I Wonder as I Wander" this morning. The first one has been removed and also the one that I tried to up-load lastnight and only half of it loaded because I timed out, so it is removed also. The one up is the finished version. Sorry for anyone having to re-download it. The weird noise you hear is either the bowed psaltery or my oooing in the background. ;) Some people liken the psaltery to a cat fight

Old Post: :arrow: My first attempt :D
I think that I added I Wonder As I Wander to the Christmas folder. Would someone please check to see if it is there? I am not sure if I did what I was suppose to do to send it off. It went somewhere :shock: :lol: I hope it was to the right place.

I played it using my new dulcimer Ribbons tuned to DAD and my Alba Q1. Watch out for the high B note near the end!!! It's pretty wicked. also, when I recorded this, I was so excited about finally recording something, I forgot to check my tuning on my dulcimer and I think it is slightly flat. :oops: If anyone has perfect pitch, I apologize before hand. ;)

Thanks also for everyone's help with recording and mixing.
I still have a whole bunch of questions about it though. :roll:

Kathy :)

Last edited by Kathy on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's there, Kathy. Sounds nice. I'm so glad you're recording now. More, please!!!! When you get time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:22 pm 

Thank you Connie.

I think it's kind of plain/simple playing, but for a first, I guess it will pass.

I am working on an hammered dulcimer and whistle piece now. I hope to have it done tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

It's not long enough! :(

Very nice, Kathy! :thumbsup:

8)

:|

8-[

Is the next one ready yet?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:08 pm 

My favorite Christmas Carol of all time!

"Some Children See Him" is now up too.

When I was a kid, my parents had a 33 1/3 LP of Tennessee Ernie Ford singing this song. I think I wore out the record from listening to it so much. I am playing this by ear from memory. It just makes me sigh to remember all of the childhood memories I have when I hear it. :love:
It was written by Alfred Burt.

I start out playing it on my hammered dulcimer using the ebony side of my hammers then I switch to the leather covered side and later I add my Q1 and then my Alba Low D. I can hear in the one spot where I ran out of air at the end of a phrase on the low d :lol: Anyway, here it is without doing anything but removing the noise. I need to learn how to mix in stuff with out having to wait for the thing to play to the spot before I start playing/recording along with it. Here are the Lyrics

Some Children see Him
Some Children see Him lily white,
the Baby Jesus born this night.
Some Children see Him lily white,
with tresses soft and fair.
Some Children see Him bronzed and brown,
the Lord of heav’n to earth some down;
Some Children see Him bronzed and brown,
with dark and heavy hair.

Some Children see Him almond eyed,
this Saviour whom we kneel beside,
Some Children see him almond eyed,
with skin of yellow hue.
Some Children see him dark as they,
sweet Mary’s Son to whom we pray;
Some Children see Him dark as they,
and ah! They love Him too!

The Children in each different place
will see the Baby Jesus’ face
Like theirs, but bright with heav’nly grace,
and filled with holy light.
O lay aside each earthly thing,
and with thy heart as offering,
Come worship now the Infant King,
’tis love that’s born tonight!

Now, I'm off to try another one. Is it ok if I do one with just hammered dulcimer? I want to try "O Holy Night" and don't know if the key I play it in on the HD is compatible with any of my whistles. It should be the key of D that I play it in, I think. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:03 pm 

Kathy

That is beautiful! :D But Judy is right that it is not long enough. I was just floating away in your song and had to come back down to earth too quickly. PLEASE PLEASE record a version that is at least twice as long for my PWA Christmas CD. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:47 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Kathy

That is beautiful! :D But Judy is right that it is not long enough. I was just floating away in your song and had to come back down to earth too quickly. PLEASE PLEASE record a version that is at least twice as long for my PWA Christmas CD. Thanks.

Thank you Adrian,

I will re-record it and I will be sure to play it longer. I will also be sure to tune my dulcimer first. :oops:

I did make "Some Children" longer. It's long enough that if anyone wants to sing along after intro with it they can sing all of the verses. I hope that its not so long that people can't download it. After I posted it, I had to wait forever to see if it went in. Then when I listened to it, I wished I had the knowledge to lower the volume of the whistles a little. Oh well, I had fun making it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:32 am 
Site Admin

Kathy, a cute trick in Audacity is the "repeat" function in "effects". I took your original "I Wonder As I Wander" and added 2 repeats to get a version that is now 2:13 instead of the 47 seconds. That way you don't have to re-record.

.... now off to listen to the next one ... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Okay ... now I remember the song! I love Tennessee Ernie, and the song, too -- and the sound of your hammered dulcimer. It's so neat how you get a harp sound with the ebony side of the hammer and a piano sound with the leather side. Very, very cool!

Now I want a hammered dulcimer! Arrrgh! Hmmm, Santa -- I've been really good this year ..... 8-[
Santa: :-k [-(
Judy: ](*,)

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:14 am 

Judy K wrote:
[Now I want a hammered dulcimer! Arrrgh! Hmmm, Santa -- I've been really good this year ..... 8-[
Santa: :-k [-(
Judy: ](*,)
;)

For those who believe this .... I have a fairly long bridge that I am willing to sell rather cheap! \:D/ \:D/ :thumbsup: :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:46 am 

Judy K wrote:
Kathy, a cute trick in Audacity is the "repeat" function in "effects". I took your original "I Wonder As I Wander" and added 2 repeats to get a version that is now 2:13 instead of the 47 seconds. That way you don't have to re-record.

.... now off to listen to the next one ... 8)

The only trouble is that the fine tuned musical ear can hear this as perfect repeats which is a lot better than nothing but not quite the same as listening to slight differences played in a second verse. Judy, you yourself go quite a long way to change the sound on second verses do you not? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
Judy, you yourself go quite a long way to change the sound on second verses do you not? ;)

I guess you could say that -- but I'm hoping the change covers up bad playing and the lack of time to fix the recording, and maybe I'll get one version "right". Kathy's was good the first time around. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, I remember that LP!!! We had that one! And we wore it out, too! Can't wait to get to work tomorrow to download it on dsl.

Thanks, Kathy.

And BTW, Judy, you ain't got nuthin' to worry about. You got some mighty fine talent, and I'd listen to a whole CD of your CB flute and pennywhistlin' any day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 pm 

I am so glad that others remember this song too, What great memories. If I ever get time to tune my Bowed Psaltery, I might give it a go on it too. So many instruments and so many songs to play!

I am having so much fun, and well, frustration too. I finally got "O Holy Night" recorded 3 times through with only a couple of places where I had to delete a few tiny mess-ups, and there are only a couple of little mistakes, but now it sounds so much the same the whole way through, even though I change from soft hammers to hard. I would like to add some whistle, but that is gonna take a little time to get that spot where it goes from a half holed G to an F I seem to have some trouble doing that. :roll: I'll keep at it, but I am anxious to get it posted.

I also want to redo "I Wonder" too, Maybe with some BP added in.

Humm, QuickBooks or Playing Music????? :-k