Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Holy Week CD
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1644
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:46 am ]
Post subject:  Holy Week CD

The folder for Holy Week CD is in the upload folder. I've already put in a couple of scores and midis to help you start learning tunes. These are both resurrection hymns.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _today.pdf
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... y_midi.mp3


http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _today.pdf
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... y_midi.mp3

Go ahead and post what you want, but PM me when you do so I can post a link to your tune. :D

And it's perfectly okay to have multiple versions of one song.

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Well, it looks like we've got ourselves a CD single. Ren Tin 10 has kindly donated the first tune, Jesus Christ is Risen Today.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ntin10.mp3

Quote:
This track is the result of cobbling together three different keyboard recordings of the tune. For the first verse, I went for a "primitive" sound on the piano. For the second verse, I went for a more "funky" sound on the portable organ. Then to wrap it up, I went for a "grandiose" sound on the church organ.

I hope you like it. 8)


Thanks, Ren. Anybody care to create a flip side?

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Hey, that's nice! I usually prefer jazzed, but on this one your high church organ was my favorite. :D

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:58 am ]
Post subject: 

That's kind of ironic, because I normally prefer primitive to grandiose, and the church-organ track is actually my least favorite of the three, but I was trying to put a little something in it for everybody. ;)

Author:  shadoes [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:59 am ]
Post subject: 

I have been so busy lately haven;t had much time for anything. heh

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
That's kind of ironic, because I normally prefer primitive to grandiose, and the church-organ track is actually my least favorite of the three, but I was trying to put a little something in it for everybody. ;)


The organ track makes me think I ought to be quiet and stop swinging my legs or my mom might smack the back of my head. :D

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
That's kind of ironic, because I normally prefer primitive to grandiose, and the church-organ track is actually my least favorite of the three, but I was trying to put a little something in it for everybody. ;)


The organ track makes me think I ought to be quiet and stop swinging my legs or my mom might smack the back of my head. :D


My dad preferred flicking the top of my head to smacking the back of it, so maybe that's why I prefer the primitive. Or maybe it's just a guy thing. :mrgreen:

I used the exact same fingering for all three tracks, so this is an illustration in how simply slipping a different instrument under your fingers can change the whole complexion of the tune. 8)

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

My dad couldn't reach my head. He was in the pulpit.

Author:  shadoes [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

man if that had been my dad I would have heard "SINNERS BE STILL!" a lot :)

Author:  KittyR [ Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
My dad couldn't reach my head. He was in the pulpit.

Well THAT explains a lot! :mrgreen:

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:17 am ]
Post subject: 

:o HEY!!!!!

Well, it probably does, actually.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:41 am ]
Post subject: 

Ren Tin 10 provides the flip side!!!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ntin10.mp3

Quote:
This is my second contribution to the Holy Week album, a mountain dulcimer duet with myself.

The tune is one of the most used in the hymn tradition: Hyfrydol.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

I love that tune. The dulcimers make it especially nice.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Our next Holy Week song is from khl, "O Sacred Head Now Wounded."

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ed_khl.mp3

He writes:

Quote:
I've left my track of "Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded" played on and O'Brien. Reverb added. It isn't perfect, but it's about all I have time to do right now and I wanted to contribute.

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yay! :mrgreen:

The empty-hall reverb really adds to the emotion of it. Very nice! 8)

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 am ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Our next Holy Week song is from khl, "O Sacred Head Now Wounded."

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ed_khl.mp3

He writes:

Quote:
I've left my track of "Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded" played on and O'Brien. Reverb added. It isn't perfect, but it's about all I have time to do right now and I wanted to contribute.
Nice, Keith! Do you have the dots for this? I had never heard of it until this board, sometime last year.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:53 am ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Ren Tin 10 provides the flip side!!!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ntin10.mp3

Quote:
This is my second contribution to the Holy Week album, a mountain dulcimer duet with myself.

The tune is one of the most used in the hymn tradition: Hyfrydol.
Interesting! I have never heard this before. Man, the things I learn on PWA!

Author:  khl [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

(Thanks Blackhawk and R T 10 for the comments. I like the tune very much and when I had tried it throught and then heard it with the 'empty hall' reverb, it seemed just about what I wanted to convey.)
Quote:
Nice, Keith! Do you have the dots for this? I had never heard of it until this board, sometime last year.

I'm actually, as of this morning, on the mainland. I will look for this online and see if I can find the notes. Bach uses the tune throughout his Saint Matthew Passion.

Found it here: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh286.sht
Also here (from my Church's website) with a different text and title and in a D whistle friendly key:
http://www.lds.org/cm/catalogsearchseqr ... 0#nullLink
Click on Hymn #197 "Oh Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown"

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks, Keith!

Author:  Blackhawk [ Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Is it too late for me to post a song for this, seeing as how Easter is already over? Yesterday we ran a video of the song "In Christ Alone," and I realized that can be considered an Easter song. At some point I'm sure I recorded it somewhere and can post it, I think. If it's not too late.

Author:  khl [ Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Blackhawk wrote:
Is it too late for me to post a song for this, seeing as how Easter is already over? Yesterday we ran a video of the song "In Christ Alone," and I realized that can be considered an Easter song. At some point I'm sure I recorded it somewhere and can post it, I think. If it's not too late.

I don't think it would hurt to post it. Looks like folks simply got too busy to record for this.

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

How about including some Pentecost songs? That's coming up soon.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Is it too late for me to post a song for this, seeing as how Easter is already over? Yesterday we ran a video of the song "In Christ Alone," and I realized that can be considered an Easter song. At some point I'm sure I recorded it somewhere and can post it, I think. If it's not too late.

I don't think it would hurt to post it. Looks like folks simply got too busy to record for this.
Connie reminded me via PM that In Christ Alone is a copywrited song. I hadn't even thought of that. Ah well! I'm looking for an excuse to post a song on the new olive wood whistle Tommy made me. :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/