Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 pm 

OK, I have uploaded two songs. One is O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus on a Gen Bb and the other is The Lord is My Shepherd on a WW Bb. I know there's still work to be done, but I see progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
OK, I have uploaded two songs. One is O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus on a Gen Bb and the other is The Lord is My Shepherd on a WW Bb. I know there's still work to be done, but I see progress.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Can't wait to hear them! I'll have to listen later - RATS!!!!

Way to go Darvis!!

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:23 pm 

Blackhawk,

I don't think you've converted these to MP3 yet. They look like they're still in Audacity programing. Couldn't listen to them.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:17 pm 

khl wrote:
Blackhawk,

I don't think you've converted these to MP3 yet. They look like they're still in Audacity programing. Couldn't listen to them.

Keith
OOPS!! Thanks, Keith! I'll fix them right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

I can't connect to the ftp folder today for some reason. I'll try to get links later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm 

OK, now they are there in MP3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Couldn't wait ... had a pre-listen listen at work .. low volume.

SOUNDS GREAT!!! Nice job Darvis!!! The sound was cool, the tunes flowed nicely from what I could tell...

I'm excited to get home where I can really listen.

A++!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:00 pm 

Very nice Darvis esp the "deep". Why are you concerned about your timing? This clip is one of your best. =D>

The Gen Bb is one of the world's best whistles IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:22 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Very nice Darvis esp the "deep". Why are you concerned about your timing? This clip is one of your best. =D>
Well, this IS my first posting using a click track. I think if we go back to my first post of this song, we'll see the timing was off at some point, somewhere. But this one shouldn't be off, since I used the click track. This is a great new tool for me.

Quote:
The Gen Bb is one of the world's best whistles IMHO.
I heartily agree. I think actually it's the best value for the money in all of whistle-dom, even including Syn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yup ... very nice.

I like the Generation too. You phrasing/breathing was fine to my ears on Deep; I don't know the other well enough to comment.

Congrats again - good stuff indeed!

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:43 pm 

Thank you, Jim. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:15 am 

Blackhawk - you did a really nice job on both of these songs. Nothing to be embarrassed about here, so you don't need to be shy about posting your efforts. Always seeking to do better is a good thing-- as is appreciating where God has already brought your playing. This was brought home to me last night as I was feeling a little ham-handed in my first attempts at playing a low whistle. My non-whistler husband walked in and picked up the low D and made a rough pass at the first phrase of Amazing Grace. I was kind of blown away by how well he was doing -- esp. since he can "hear" the next note that needs to be played, and hasn't even learned how to form those notes on the whistle. Anyway, he handed the whistle back to me and said that he now had a new appreciation for what *I* could do on a whistle! All that to say, maybe you're not where you want to be yet (who is?), but you're in a good place right now. Personally, I take great comfort in the verse that tells us to make a JOYFUL NOISE unto the Lord, rejoicing that it doesn't tell us to make a harmonious melody or a melodious harmony or something intimidating like that! :)

I also appreciated hearing the differences between the Generation Bb and the WW Bb. LOVE the WW! But will most likely get a Generation instead. :)

BTW - can anyone explain how to make the click track "click" while you're recording? I can't seem to make Audacity play and record at the same time. I think I could probably benefit from this technique.

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:14 am 

Shan wrote:
Blackhawk - you did a really nice job on both of these songs. Nothing to be embarrassed about here, so you don't need to be shy about posting your efforts. Always seeking to do better is a good thing-- as is appreciating where God has already brought your playing. This was brought home to me last night as I was feeling a little ham-handed in my first attempts at playing a low whistle. My non-whistler husband walked in and picked up the low D and made a rough pass at the first phrase of Amazing Grace. I was kind of blown away by how well he was doing -- esp. since he can "hear" the next note that needs to be played, and hasn't even learned how to form those notes on the whistle. Anyway, he handed the whistle back to me and said that he now had a new appreciation for what *I* could do on a whistle! All that to say, maybe you're not where you want to be yet (who is?), but you're in a good place right now. Personally, I take great comfort in the verse that tells us to make a JOYFUL NOISE unto the Lord, rejoicing that it doesn't tell us to make a harmonious melody or a melodious harmony or something intimidating like that! :)
Thank you for your kind words, Shan. :)

Quote:
I also appreciated hearing the differences between the Generation Bb and the WW Bb. LOVE the WW! But will most likely get a Generation instead. :)
Gen Bb is very good, but if you want a used WW (and since the maker died a few years ago, that's the only kind), Doc Jones has one for sale on his site:
http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/products.php?pw=1
As you can hear, they are really, really nice.

Quote:
BTW - can anyone explain how to make the click track "click" while you're recording? I can't seem to make Audacity play and record at the same time. I think I could probably benefit from this technique.
What I did was to go to
http://www.metronomeonline.com/ and click on the speed I want, plug in some earbuds so it won't be audible on my recording, then play along to the beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Does audactiy have a click option? I don't use it and have never played with it a lot so don't know. Used to have it here at work but think I uninstalled it heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

In Audacity under "Generate" it lists click track. You can set the beats per minute, the beats per measure and the number of measures to be played. I haven't used it myself but looks like it would work fairly well, using the earphones so you don't accidentally record the beat on your main track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:45 pm 

Thank you Judy.