Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the comments, Adrian.

Kristos -- give it a try singing. I might have played it too fast for singing, but you can still give it a shot. Or simply sing it at your own pace.

Connie: I think another combination of the two tunes would work really well. I wonder if some sort of arrangement could be made where you're playing both at once -- maybe one slowly and the other running around it. I sort of wish I'd put harmony with the third verse, or at least slowed it down just a bit. Thanks for noticing the timing there -- it felt like it would be fun and interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
I wonder if some sort of arrangement could be made where you're playing both at once -- maybe one slowly and the other running around it.

Shhhhh.....you're giving away my secret! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:48 am 

Connie

It would be fun to hear it on your 'Ali Baba' whistle if you have a moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Okay here we go.. this did not come out quite the way I wanted but in the end it is okay.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... hadoes.mp3

For the curious the background is a PAD out of Wusikstation and the cello is out of Rhino 2. The whistle is my Obrien Maple with some reverb added. All recorded using the new Tracktion 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Theres a LOT to like in that piece!

I like the movie soundtrack feel it has. It really sets a mood. Whistlenut likes to paint scenes in his mind based on music, and I'm learning to do the same thing. That one gives me the picture of a Celtic warrior coming up over a gnarly hill, on the first leg of a quest.

OR...this could go in a movie about Martin Luther, in a big cathedral pondering the system he was about to change. Maybe a shot of him kneeling, shot from behind, panning out to way over his head...he's still in the shot but now you see how big the church is and how small he feels.

I don't know whether you did this or not, but it sounds like you varied the levels of pennywhistle reverb at one point, which I also liked.

Very ethereal. Very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

if I did it wasn't on purpose :) Probably has to do with the caried levels of my playing. That whistle is one track all the repeats are played and not looped. The variation in play level might have something to do with it. :)

Glad you liked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:54 pm 

Shadoes

Very nice. Loved the arrangement. At least five minuets too short!

Nice cuts and turns. It's great how a few simple ornaments can add so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

thanks :) those are bascially the only ornaments I ca do passingly well. and the occasional trill and cran :) but some of the other whistle ornaments just continue to escape my fingers. rolls mostly hehe.

Well originally I wanted it to be longer. I have gotten into the long cinematic feel stuff so I would expect more of the same from me in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I like the movie soundtrack feel it has

Yeah! that's what I was thinking as I was listening to it.

Very, very nice job Shadoes. The way you weave melody through the pads is way cool -

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Underwater documentary about whale calves being born. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:10 am 

ConnieS wrote:
jrc....your arrangements are always pretty close to professional quality, and this is no exception.

That is way beyond professional in my judgement. Whistle playing simply doesn't get better than this. I'm not sure that I have ever heard a whistle track that has touched me so deeply. You're performance on this clip is up there on a level with Tony Hinnigan IMO.

The first thing I said to Susan was that it was far too short. You made the whistle and piano compliment each other wonderfully. I'd buy a CD (or 10 for Christmas) of meditative whistle and piano like that if the tracks were of a similar formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
jrc....your arrangements are always pretty close to professional quality, and this is no exception.

That is way beyond professional in my judgement.

Yeah, I would agree. The only reason I held back on that comment was the equipment used to record a crystal clear product at the big studios.

The mixing and the talent are all there. I would agree with Adrian. I'd pay money to hear more of what you're producing here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

That is way beyond professional in my judgement. Whistle playing simply doesn't get better than this. I'm not sure that I have ever heard a whistle track that has touched me so deeply. You're performance on this clip is up there on a level with Tony Hinnigan IMO.

The first thing I said to Susan was that it was far too short. You made the whistle and piano compliment each other wonderfully. I'd buy a CD (or 10 for Christmas) of meditative whistle and piano like that if the tracks were of a similar formula.

:shock: Wow - I'm really blessed you enjoyed it so much Adrian. Thanks for your kind words.

I like a lot of different textures and sounds, but there is something about just whistle and piano that really speaks to me. I dunno...

But thanks I again - I am truly humbled.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
Adrian wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

That is way beyond professional in my judgement.

Yeah, I would agree. The only reason I held back on that comment was the equipment used to record a crystal clear product at the big studios.

The mixing and the talent are all there. I would agree with Adrian. I'd pay money to hear more of what you're producing here. :D

Connie - you were writing at the same time I was.

Thanks to both of you - it's a real confirmation I'm on the right track.

Blessings

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Oh, and if we haven't overwhelmed you already, you have the "indefinable something" we all go for with our whistling projects. One can hear your heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yup - I'm swimmin' :D

You guys are too much.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Adrian asked me to tootle the tune on the Ahava Rabba, so I took some time off from laptop production to record something.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... onnies.mp3

A bit lackluster. It's probably not the right tune for the scale. I tried the alternate tune, and that's a different story altogether. :D

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... onnies.mp3

That has some prospects if I could figure out how to get Finale to produce some Jewish, Eastern European or Middle Eastern sounds (besides the cliched sitar).

I think I'm switching to a Middle Eastern version of the hymn, so someone may want to try layering the two tunes on top of one another. I've switched away from that project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 am 
Site Admin

You know there are a couple of free or inexpensive recording packages out there that support VST instruments and there are i think a couple free VSTs that simulate eastern type instruments. might look into that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:33 pm 

Connie:
The Ahava Rabba whistle certainly changes it a bit. Interesting. I agree with you that the second melody is better suited to this and is intriguing.

I still hope you or someone will do a version with the two tunes blended together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

that's a cool whistle - does it play like a regular whistle, or do you have to finger it differently. Nice sound, and well played :thumbsup: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:06 am 

Ooooo Connie, your Ali Baba whistle is the bees knees! It worked like a charm with both tunes. Love it love it love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:25 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
that's a cool whistle - does it play like a regular whistle, or do you have to finger it differently. Nice sound, and well played :thumbsup: !

Daniel Binghamon (sp?) makes them. They're fingered like whistles, look like whistles, but watch out! The notes are out of this culture!! Very exotic to mix the whistle sound with the Ahava Rabba scale.

I let a Lebanese Christian whistle student take it home to show his parents. His mother absolutely FLIPPED over it!

Thanks Adrian. I love it too. You should consider getting one, especially now that you have a couple of empty spaces in your lineup. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:02 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Thanks Adrian. I love it too. You should consider getting one, especially now that you have a couple of empty spaces in your lineup. :mrgreen:

I have been tempted several times but I play this scale on a regular D whistle in the keys of D and F# quite often and i fear it would make me lazy in playing in this scale. I enjoy the challenge of fast half fingering.

Key of D: D, Eb, F#, G, A, Bb, C, D
Key of F#: F#, G, A#, B, C, D, E#, F# I play the Havila Nagila in this key on a D whistle at least once a day. I suppose it is a doddle to play on your Ali Baba whistle.

Have you tried its modes? THAT would be a good reason for buying one.

Susan, where are you? (She has the bank card). You can keep the Susatos if...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Kristos uploaded this:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ristos.mp3

He says:

Quote:
This is both tunes played together on my Burke DBSBT- a few notes have been changed to maintain harmony ;) . Also, I played a harmony on my Alba A whistle. If anybody would like the score, I have it in finale notepad format and I'll probably try to make a pdf too. (It'd be my first.) Please ignore the pops. I ordered a linux version hoping it'll help with that, and a lot more problems these computers keep giving me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds really ethereal, Kristos. I like it. The alternative tune really dominates, and the original plays a nice undertone.

Very interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next