Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Sneak Preview
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2070
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Jim Wright [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well my feet are tapping .. but where is the music to be found and are you sure that Josh wants all of this publicity???? :roll:

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Holdjer horses, there, Texan!

The music will come out Wednesday, on schedule. If you want to try to pick it out beforehand, have at it.

Took me a minute to get that Josh comment. :roll: :lol: I reckon Josh'll let us borrow his song for a couple of weeks.

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jim, if you really want to get a head start, try this link:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folksw/014632.HTM

It's slightly different than the way I have it written out, but not much.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wow ... this has more repeat notes than I have ever tried to play! Myrna ......... heeeeelp!

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have an alternative tune prepared, with fewer repeats. But since the rhythm of this song is so strong, it would probably be okay to play the recorder "tah" way more than you would in Irish Trad.

Plus, most of the repeats are in the verses. If you just want to work on the chorus, that's the most familiar part of the song anyway.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey ... this is a fun one. I figure I might be able to play it in about 6 months or less but I may have bruses ... Myrna is tough! :shock: :D

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tell her to quit smackin' ya with a ruler when you hit a wrong note. :lol:

Author:  Jim Wright [ Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Tell her to quit smackin' ya with a ruler when you hit a wrong note. :lol:


Have you met her? :shock: :D

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:44 am ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Jim, if you really want to get a head start, try this link:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folksw/014632.HTM

It's slightly different than the way I have it written out, but not much.


This is an amazingly hard song to find any other free resource for. :shock:

Normally I can find several versions of the song of choice online in an hour or so. Not this one .... strange, very strange. It's not even in my Hymn Fake Book.

... whodathunkit? :?

Author:  Jim Wright [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:38 am ]
Post subject: 

try looking under spirituals .... and be specific if you have to .. and use Negro spirituals.

Don't know if much there .. might also go with Dixie land jazz

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

KittyR wrote:
She enjoys tormenting you guys, you know. :lol:


This is true. This thread was a blast! The song will be up in the morning (Lord willing), three versions ranging from easiest to hardest, with midis for Shadoes (:D )of each version.

BTW, if y'all can manage the hardest, it should be a rip-roaring good time. :mrgreen:

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Judy K wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Jim, if you really want to get a head start, try this link:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folksw/014632.HTM

It's slightly different than the way I have it written out, but not much.


This is an amazingly hard song to find any other free resource for. :shock:

Normally I can find several versions of the song of choice online in an hour or so. Not this one .... strange, very strange. It's not even in my Hymn Fake Book.

... whodathunkit? :?



Judy, you might also try searching under "Joshua Fit..." AND "Joshua Fought..."

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jim Wright wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Tell her to quit smackin' ya with a ruler when you hit a wrong note. :lol:


Have you met her? :shock: :D


I think she might have taught a ballet class I took years ago. :shock:

Author:  khl [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

For the information of those interested (primarily me): Because I was the first to guess both tunes correctly, I am going to give myself, and therefore be the recipient of, a whistle. Self, here is a pre-owned (or is it currently owned?) whistle. :)

(Amazing how one can be amused by such small things.)

Author:  Blackhawk [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
For the information of those interested (primarily me): Because I was the first to guess both tunes correctly, I am going to give myself, and therefore be the recipient of, a whistle. Self, here is a pre-owned (or is it currently owned?) whistle. :)

(Amazing how one can be amused by such small things.)
Well, don't keep us in suspense, Keith. Which whistle did you award yourself?? :mrgreen: Inquring minds want to know!

Author:  Jim Wright [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Keith has been in the islands tooooo long .. BH .... this is worse than talking to himself!!!! :D

Author:  khl [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jim Wright wrote:
Keith has been in the islands tooooo long .. BH .... this is worse than talking to himself!!!! :D

Keith told me to tell you that you too might be one sandwich short of a picnic. ;)

Blackhawk wrote:
Well, don't keep us in suspense, Keith. Which whistle did you award yourself?? :mrgreen: Inquring minds want to know!

I awarded myself my Water Weasel A. I'm actually going to be playing this tonight. Once a year, for a whole week, our local congregation (those who can) camp at the beach. This is a huge event for the local folks (and the kids absolutely love it -- very wholesome and memory-creating times), and tonight we are having the final luau. I'm going to play a handful of tunes there and I'll use the WW for a few of them. It should be fun, but wish me luck anyway. (I may actually look for someone who can play ukulele or guitar -- there will be plenty and lots with real talent.)

Author:  Jim Wright [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
Keith has been in the islands tooooo long .. BH .... this is worse than talking to himself!!!! :D

Keith told me to tell you that you too might be one sandwich short of a picnic. ;)

Possibly ... :-k :D

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/