Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

What Hymnals do you use/have?
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2076
Page 1 of 1

Author:  khl [ Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  What Hymnals do you use/have?

I think it might be interesting to know (given the discussion on TPE about what hymns we know or don't know):

1. What's the main hymnal/s you use in your congregation/church/gatherings?



2. What others do you have that you like or might recommend?

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

We use The Hymnal For Worship and Celebration. I also have two version of the Baptist Hymnal, an old Broadman Hymnal, and on called The Modern Hymnal(Copywrite 1926 hehe)

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Hymnals do you use/have?

khl wrote:
I think it might be interesting to know (given the discussion on TPE about what hymns we know or don't know):

1. What's the main hymnal/s you use in your congregation/church/gatherings?
We don't use one at all. The words are projected up onto a movie type of screen for us to read as we sing. There are no hymals of any kind anywhere in our church.

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

We use Sing to the Lord (Church of the Nazarene Hymnal). Highly recommended. 8)

Another good one is the aforementioned Broadman Hymnal. 8)

Author:  Jim Wright [ Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

We use projection for our songs as well .... but my wife picks out the music and and has two shelves or more of hymn books, song books, praise music books and etc. Some go back to the 1800s when I was a lad. :D

Author:  Adrian [ Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Jim Wright wrote:
We use projection for our songs as well .... but my wife picks out the music and and has two shelves or more of hymn books, song books, praise music books and etc. Some go back to the 1800s when I was a lad. :D


List please and a photo of the two shelves. :D

Author:  jrc [ Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Hymnals do you use/have?

Blackhawk wrote:
khl wrote:
I think it might be interesting to know (given the discussion on TPE about what hymns we know or don't know):

1. What's the main hymnal/s you use in your congregation/church/gatherings?
We don't use one at all. The words are projected up onto a movie type of screen for us to read as we sing. There are no hymals of any kind anywhere in our church.


Ditto ... no hymnals for us.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 am ]
Post subject: 

Over the weekend I visited my dad, who's 85 years old. He attends a Baptist church in a small community north of Sacramento. We went to church with him and they were using the overhead projector for most of their songs, but there were Baptist Hymnals, 1975 version, in the pews. Just when I thought they were there for show, they used them for the last song of the service. So...there is at least one church who still uses hymnals in California.

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 am ]
Post subject: 

I for one hate to see hymnals go. I teach kids to read music, and when they ask why they'll need to know that, I say everybody should be able to read it for the hymnal. I once had an industry insider tell me that eventually there will be fewer and fewer new hymnals published. :cry:

Author:  khl [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:04 am ]
Post subject: 

Blackhawk wrote:
Over the weekend I visited my dad, who's 85 years old. He attends a Baptist church in a small community north of Sacramento. We went to church with him and they were using the overhead projector for most of their songs, but there were Baptist Hymnals, 1975 version, in the pews. Just when I thought they were there for show, they used them for the last song of the service. So...there is at least one church who still uses hymnals in California.

Roman Catholics still have hymn-books. These have lots of hymns, but no parts -- just melody line. (I'm not Catholic, of course, but I've been to mass a few times.) You can often find these at thrift stores, used book stores, etc. They're not bad for whistlers because they'll have just what you need with the melody.

(I still need to make a list of the short stack of hymnbooks I've got. More later.)

Author:  shadoes [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:03 am ]
Post subject: 

Blackhawk wrote:
Over the weekend I visited my dad, who's 85 years old. He attends a Baptist church in a small community north of Sacramento. We went to church with him and they were using the overhead projector for most of their songs, but there were Baptist Hymnals, 1975 version, in the pews. Just when I thought they were there for show, they used them for the last song of the service. So...there is at least one church who still uses hymnals in California.


My cousins church is like that. When I was filling in for thier music minister for a few Sunday's I think thier hymnals saw more work than in a long time previous hehe

Author:  ConnieS [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:57 am ]
Post subject: 

Usually when we do a hymnal number we have the words on the screen, so people can choose just that if they want.

Author:  jrc [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you use hymnals and overheads, is that a 'blended' service :P ?

ba-Domp-bump!

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Roman Catholics still have hymn-books. These have lots of hymns, but no parts -- just melody line. (I'm not Catholic, of course, but I've been to mass a few times.) You can often find these at thrift stores, used book stores, etc. They're not bad for whistlers because they'll have just what you need with the melody.


I'm thinking of starting a little project, mostly for my own benefit as an organist, in which I write down the page numbers of all the songs sung from the hymnal each Sunday morning, then transcribing them into a Lead Sheet (chords and melody) for later use. After a year or so, I should have practically every song we sing transcribed and be able to play them on keyboards, guitar and whistle, at least the ones in less than 5 flats. :mrgreen:

jrc wrote:
If you use hymnals and overheads, is that a 'blended' service :P ?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  maryc [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

We use projection .. indeed, we sometimes project both the words AND the melody line! (but it is a bit of work scanning the score and the cleaning it up for projections).

But most of our material comes out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive edition.

Author:  nissa_loves_cats [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Roman Catholics still have hymn-books. These have lots of hymns, but no parts -- just melody line.


In my parish we have a combined mass book/hymn book that comes out each year. So each year there are a few hundred paperback hymn books discarded to make way for the new. I'm planning to ask my pastor if there are any old ones left and can I have one.

Most of the hymns we sing are suitable for non-Catholics. Some are originally Protestant, and some of the Catholic ones are also sung at my mom's Presbyterian church.

I also have a collection of old Lutheran hymnals from my pre-Catholic phase (Missouri Synod plus others), one old German language Gospel hymn book from about 100 years ago, an Adoru Kantante hymnal in Esperanto, and a Christian Science hymnal. (I'm catholic as well as Catholic in my musical tastes.)

Author:  khl [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Nissa,

Welcome to PWA.

If you aren't able to get one of the old missal/hymnals, check your local thrift store, where I'll bet you can get them for hardly anything. I really like those I have, especially for playing whistle -- plenty of hymns and just the melody line. Works fine.

The Esperanto hymnal sounds intriguing.

Author:  Walden [ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:29 am ]
Post subject: 

The most common hymnals in the churches I've attended were Church Hymnal (1951, Tennessee Music & Printing Co.), Songs We Sing Complete (1954, Jacob Filbert), and the Assemblies of God denominational hymnals Melodies of Praise (1957), Hymns of Glorious Praise (1969), and Sing His Praise (1991).

As for what hymnbooks I have at home, I haven't got a shelf full, but probably the better part of a row on one of my bookshelves is assorted hymnbooks.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/