Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Christmas 2007
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2597
Page 8 of 12

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:54 am ]
Post subject: 

Judy, if I were to record the whistle and get you a recording, could you add a dulcimer part? I'm feeling it just a bit faster than the one you posted - is there a particular key that works better for you? I'm just thinking out loud here - if you can't or simply would rather not that's perfectly fine. I understand this time of year is a bit nuts for everyone.

I tell you what - give me key that's good and I'll post it and you can do with it as you like ... or not :D !!

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Jim, I'd like to try it. My dulcimers are tuned DAd (the one on the first clip) and A'EA (the baritone used on the second). Seems like most chords are available -- so what whistle would you like to use? Retuning is possible .... if someone gives me a clue. (Might have to ask Ren or Kathy for help --- :oops: ) Music theory is not my strong point -- I just like playing!

Author:  Blackhawk [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:30 am ]
Post subject: 

I can't wait to hear a duet between you two!

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 am ]
Post subject: 

... hmmm.... (wheels turning).... (ouch! ).... :mrgreen:


Edit:

I think D is definitely do-able .....

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Judy, do you use Audacity to record?

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:54 am ]
Post subject: 

Yes, sir -- Audacity is it. But Audacity can take any MP3 to record over, around or through if you use another program. If you have an idea of what you want in the dulcimer part and can sketch it out in standard music notation for me -- would be better to do a dulcimer background and then add your whistle?

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Although it's kinda backwards, I think it'd be easier to do the whistle first. It's going to be much later tonight - about 0800 or so before I can get it done.

I really have no idea about a dulcimer part, or how they're played; I know I really like the mix of picking and strumming, but beyond that I have no clue about how to suggest what to play. That's why I think it would be easier for me to go first, then you feel free to add as you feel moved.

I would like it a bit faster but not substantially - just a bit more motion in the melody - do you agree? Is there something I can do to make it easier for you as I record? I'll use a click for sure, but not record it, and I'll give you some kind of count in at the beginning.

Ready set .... :D

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Go? :shock:

:?

:-k

8-[

[-o<

:thumbsup:

Yeah - the basic tempo you want would help. :) I can hunt out the metronome I've got hiding somewhere. It will take me a couple of days or more to play with it, time allowing here at home. Would probably be easier to go ahead and upload your recording in the TPE folder and let me get it from there. My email gets contrary with larger files occasionally. Dial-up is a pain .... :roll:

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Judy K wrote:
Go? :shock:

:?

:-k

8-[

[-o<

:thumbsup:

Yeah - the basic tempo you want would help. :) I can hunt out the metronome I've got hiding somewhere. It will take me a couple of days or more to play with it, time allowing here at home. Would probably be easier to go ahead and upload your recording in the TPE folder and let me get it from there. My email gets contrary with larger files occasionally. Dial-up is a pain .... :roll:


:thumbsup:

Will do ... I'll let you know when it's available.

Author:  Adrian [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:29 am ]
Post subject: 

Judy K wrote:
Hmmmm .. :-k .. there have been so many great tunes I'm running out of superlatives .... \:D/


Judy, here are a few words to file away in your encouragement folder.

beauteous
tremendous
splendorous
magnificant
bonnie
exquisite
glorious
resplendent
beautiful
awing
excellent
splendid
splendiferous
gorgeous
lovely
awe-inspiring
exceptional
pretty
pulchritudinous
stunning
amazing
astounding
outstanding
splendid
first-class
fabulous
elating
marvelous
breathtaking
elating
exhilarating
dazzling
incredible
thrilling
superb
superordinate
outrageous
stunning
perfect
electrifying
gorgeous
flawless
charming
adorable
fantastic
terrific
tremendous
outstanding
wonderful
wondrous
smashing
corking
proficient
extraordinary
fantastic
flawless

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
pulchritudinous


I like that one!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :laughing: =D> =D> =D>

Author:  Shan [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Judy, here are a few words to file away in your encouragement folder.


What a splendiferous list! I would have said it was "corking", just because that sounds neat, but never having heard that term before, I'd rather see someone who knows it use it in a sentence before I attempt it.

I must confess - in my mind, I hear someone with a British accent saying it, along with the words "ripping" and "smashing". Maybe it's a sign I've just been reading too many books by British humorists lately.

Author:  jrc [ Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok Judy - there you go, it's in the folder.

I gave you a '3+1' count in and a chime on the first beat of each measure. I used a click to record at 102 beats a minute, so it should be steady enough for you to play with without a click.

Your turn - have fun!!!!

jrc

Author:  Judy K [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Got it ... that's a bonnie piece! (Thanks for the list, Adrian!)

Now ... where is the 'sweating bullets' smiley?

;)

Author:  Adrian [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 am ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
Quote:
pulchritudinous


I like that one!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :laughing: =D> =D> =D>


Why not indeed. Although it is more often used of people I have seen it used of objects so why not 'a pulchritudinous performance'? :D Everyone know what it means.

Author:  jrc [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 am ]
Post subject: 

Judy K wrote:
Got it ... that's a bonnie piece! (Thanks for the list, Adrian!)

Now ... where is the 'sweating bullets' smiley?

;)


No worries - I excited to see what you do with it.

Author:  khl [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here's another tune for the album:

Right-click to download
O Holy Night

This is not me playing, but the whistle used is the whistle that will be given away later this month. The whistle player wishes to be anonymous for a little bit longer, though eventually I'll let you know who it is. Let's just say I have contacts all over the world. ;)

Author:  Adrian [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Here are two from Judy:

The Cherry Tree Carol

Hyfrydol



These are beautiful. I don't know what else to say. Wow!

Author:  jrc [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:08 am ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
Ok Judy - there you go, it's in the folder.

I gave you a '3+1' count in and a chime on the first beat of each measure. I used a click to record at 102 beats a minute, so it should be steady enough for you to play with without a click.

Your turn - have fun!!!!

jrc



If anyone else would like to have a go at recording another part - dulcimer, guitar, whistle, kazoo, bouzouki - please do. Feel free to use it as you like.

Author:  khl [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

The tune I posted yesterday is played by none other than PWA's own Connie:

Here's the link again to Connie's version of O Holy Night:
O Holy Night

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
jrc wrote:
Ok Judy - there you go, it's in the folder.

I gave you a '3+1' count in and a chime on the first beat of each measure. I used a click to record at 102 beats a minute, so it should be steady enough for you to play with without a click.

Your turn - have fun!!!!

jrc



If anyone else would like to have a go at recording another part - dulcimer, guitar, whistle, kazoo, bouzouki - please do. Feel free to use it as you like.


Count me in. Can I be next? :mrgreen: ;)

Author:  jrc [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
jrc wrote:
jrc wrote:
Ok Judy - there you go, it's in the folder.

I gave you a '3+1' count in and a chime on the first beat of each measure. I used a click to record at 102 beats a minute, so it should be steady enough for you to play with without a click.

Your turn - have fun!!!!

jrc



If anyone else would like to have a go at recording another part - dulcimer, guitar, whistle, kazoo, bouzouki - please do. Feel free to use it as you like.


Count me in. Can I be next? :mrgreen: ;)


Cool! Let 'er rip.

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
jrc wrote:
jrc wrote:
Ok Judy - there you go, it's in the folder.

I gave you a '3+1' count in and a chime on the first beat of each measure. I used a click to record at 102 beats a minute, so it should be steady enough for you to play with without a click.

Your turn - have fun!!!!

jrc



If anyone else would like to have a go at recording another part - dulcimer, guitar, whistle, kazoo, bouzouki - please do. Feel free to use it as you like.


Count me in. Can I be next? :mrgreen: ;)


Cool! Let 'er rip.


OK, I'll kick in some bass and organ. I'll let Judy kick in the dulcimer and whatever else she may have in mind. ;)

Here is the chord pattern I plan to use (1 chord per 3-beat measure):

First and second 8-measure blocks: D, Bm, Em, A, D, Bm, A, D

Third 8-measure block: D, Bm, Em, A, D, Bm, Em, A

Last 8-measure block: D, A, D, A, D, G, A, D

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

OK, it's back in the folder with bass and organ added.

The link is HERE

Author:  jrc [ Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
OK, it's back in the folder with bass and organ added.

The link is HERE


Cool!!! That's a good start - Judy, are you there? Anyone else?

thanks Ren - you really fattened up the song. Nicely done.

Page 8 of 12 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/