Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Christmas 2007
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2597
Page 4 of 12

Author:  ConnieS [ Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
I contributed six dulcimer tunes for the Christmas 2007 Album. They are:

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
Cantiga 48
Coventry Carol
In the Bleak Midwinter
We Three Kings of Orient Are
Do You Hear What I Hear?

I'm not sure if Connie got the PM on this one. :?:


Connie is out at a music practice.


It was a foot-stompin' practice. I'm posting some music on Fellowship board. :D

Author:  jrc [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian/Susan - that's a beautiful tone - I'm guessing it's the alto Dream Flute as well? Really round, fat sound. What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...

Ren - you've been a busy guy!! Good tunes, as usual. And you can really crank 'em out! How many first takes are posted?

There's tons of good playing and recording here - you guys are on a mission! Well done all! It's treat to take some time and just check them out.

jrc

Author:  Adrian [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...
jrc


The bass is new and it will take Susan a while to master it. She doesn't have a huge lungs, though that is not a good excuse as she should do more breathing exercises and she should also learn to play with FULL lungs. But she has improved very much considering the few years she has been playing.

Author:  ConnieS [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...
jrc


The bass is new and it will take Susan a while to master it. She doesn't have a huge lungs, though that is not a good excuse as she should do more breathing exercises and she should also learn to play with FULL lungs. But she has improved very much considering the few years she has been playing.


Lungs can grow, as every preacher's kid knows. During particularly dull services my sister and I used to have contests to see who could hold breath the longest. I started out at about 30 seconds or so, and was up to two minutes by the time I outgrew the game.

The worst part of the competition was not trying to hold out those last two seconds. It was trying to catch your breath without making too much noise.

Author:  jrc [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...
jrc


The bass is new and it will take Susan a while to master it. She doesn't have a huge lungs, though that is not a good excuse as she should do more breathing exercises and she should also learn to play with FULL lungs. But she has improved very much considering the few years she has been playing.


I just re-read what I wrote and maybe I wasn't clear, so what I was trying to say was that she had no problems with the bass - I thought it sounded really smooth. Maybe that's the way you read it - I hope so, but I just wanted to be clear. I liked it very much.

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Three more from Susan and Adrian:

Right-click to download
O Come O come Emmanuel

Right-click to download
Good King Wenceslas

Right-click to download
Hark the herald

Author:  Adrian [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...
jrc


The bass is new and it will take Susan a while to master it. She doesn't have a huge lungs, though that is not a good excuse as she should do more breathing exercises and she should also learn to play with FULL lungs. But she has improved very much considering the few years she has been playing.


I just re-read what I wrote and maybe I wasn't clear, so what I was trying to say was that she had no problems with the bass - I thought it sounded really smooth. Maybe that's the way you read it - I hope so, but I just wanted to be clear. I liked it very much.


My glasses were not clear. :oops: I can see through them clearly now :thumbsup:

The bass does take quite a lot of air and Susan will have to work hard on breathing exercises to increase lung capacity and improve breath control, as will I.

Author:  jrc [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
What about the wind requirements for the alto and especially the bass? It would seem Susan has little problems with longer phrases ...
jrc


The bass is new and it will take Susan a while to master it. She doesn't have a huge lungs, though that is not a good excuse as she should do more breathing exercises and she should also learn to play with FULL lungs. But she has improved very much considering the few years she has been playing.


I just re-read what I wrote and maybe I wasn't clear, so what I was trying to say was that she had no problems with the bass - I thought it sounded really smooth. Maybe that's the way you read it - I hope so, but I just wanted to be clear. I liked it very much.


My glasses were not clear. :oops: I can see through them clearly now :thumbsup:

The bass does take quite a lot of air and Susan will have to work hard on breathing exercises to increase lung capacity and improve breath control, as will I.


Check your pm, please sir. :D

Author:  Blackhawk [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
I just uploaded 'Patapan' a French 17th cent. carol. Here are the words with an English translation at the bottom. Note mention of whistles and flutes.

Edited to say: SUSAN played this tune, I merely followed orders and uploaded it in her absence.

Patapan

Guillô, prends ton tambourin,
Toi, prends ta flûte, Robin
Au son de ces instruments
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
Au son de ces instruments
Je dirai Noël, gaiement.

C'était la mode autrefois
De louer le Roi des rois
Au son de ces instruments
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
Au son de ces instruments
Il nous en faut faire autant.

L'homme et Dieu sont plus d'accord
Que la flûte et le tambour
Au son de ces instruments
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
Au son de ces instruments
Chantons, dansons, sautons-en!

Bernard de la Monnoye (1641-1728)
Old Burgundy dialect


Willie, take your little drum
Robin, take your flute and come
When we hear the tune you play
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
When we hear the tune you play
How can anyone be glum?

When the men of olden days
Gave the King of Kings their praise
They had pipes on which to play
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
They had drums on which to play
Full of joy on Christmas Day

God and man this day become
Joined as one with flute and drum
Let the happy tune play on
Tu-re-lu-re-lu, pat-a-pat-a-pan
Flute and drum play together
As we sing on Christmas day
Is this the same as "All ye in this house" as above, or is this a different song that somehow hasn't gotten posted on this thread yet? I just don't want to miss anything.

Author:  Judy K [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

They aren't the same song, D. I found Patapan in the main ftp folder, not the Christmas 2007 folder.

Right-click to download
Patapan - Susan

Author:  Blackhawk [ Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Judy K wrote:
They aren't the same song, D. I found Patapan in the main ftp folder, not the Christmas 2007 folder.

Ah, thanks, Judy! I don't know what I'd do without you!

Author:  jrc [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:33 am ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:


These are really nice, especially Hark the Herald Angels. Very well done.

Peace

jrc

Author:  Adrian [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:30 am ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
ConnieS wrote:


These are really nice, especially Hark the Herald Angels. Very well done.

Peace

jrc


You are very kind. If you only knew how rushed they were. We did them the morning Susan went to the UK. No more duets from us now until after 17 December when she comes back to Greece.

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just found out "Do You Hear What I Hear" isn't PD. :oops:

It has been removed from the folder and replaced with "Go, Tell It On the Mountain".

Author:  jrc [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
Just found out "Do You Hear What I Hear" isn't PD. :oops:

It has been removed from the folder and replaced with "Go, Tell It On the Mountain".


*walking away sadly, hanging head, dragging tail*

Glad I got to hear it~ :D!

Author:  jrc [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Are you sure?:

Quote:
Go Tell It on the Mountain" is an African-American spiritual dating back to at least 1865 that has been sung and recorded by many gospel and secular performers. It is considered a Christmas carol because its original lyric celebrates the Nativity: "Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere; go tell it on the mountain, that Jesus Christ is born."

In 1963, Peter Yarrow, Noel "Paul" Stookey, and Mary Travers, along with their musical director, Milt Okun, adapted and rewrote Go Tell It on the Mountain as Tell It on the Mountain, their lyrics referring specifically to Exodus and employing the line "Let my people go," but implicitly referring to the Civil Rights struggle of the early '60s. The song was recorded by Yarrow, Stookey and Travers on their Peter, Paul and Mary album In the Wind and was also a moderate hit single for them. Civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer used this rewritten version of the song as an anthem during the mid-1960s.

Author:  Walden [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

jrc wrote:
Are you sure?

Go Tell It On the Mountain is safe. The well-known Christmas arrangement fell into the public domain a number of years ago.

Author:  jrc [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Walden wrote:
jrc wrote:
Are you sure?

Go Tell It On the Mountain is safe. The well-known Christmas arrangement fell into the public domain a number of years ago.


*wagging tail excitedly*

What he said!

Author:  Adrian [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Here is another from Keith

Right-click to download
Personent Hodie

Author:  Adrian [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 am ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Here is another from Keith

"Personent Hodie" - khl


WOW! :shock:

Author:  Judy K [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 am ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Here is another from Keith

"Personent Hodie" - khl


WOW! :shock:


Ditto!

.... hmmm ... Keith? I think you've nailed mixing tracks. =D>

Author:  jrc [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:46 am ]
Post subject: 

That's off the hook good!!!

I think that's my favorite recording here so far - OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!

Really nice arrangement, beautifully played - I can't say enough how much I like that.

Way to go Keith!

jrc

Author:  khl [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Adrian, Judy, and Jim:

Thanks for your comments on this. I like this tune very much and remember hearing it sung as a processional for a choir concert. I tried to capture some of the different aspects, including high and low voices (with the choir male and female voices) and how it builds.

"Personent Hodie" - khl

I use my Delrin Abell D for the first verse, Reyburn low D for the second, then the Abell and Reyburn for the third, with the last high part played on a Hudson Wind high D. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
Adrian, Judy, and Jim:

Thanks for your comments on this. I like this tune very much and remember hearing it sung as a processional for a choir concert. I tried to capture some of the different aspects, including high and low voices (with the choir male and female voices) and how it builds.

"Personent Hodie" - khl

I use my Delrin Abell D for the first verse, Reyburn low D for the second, then the Abell and Reyburn for the third, with the last high part played on a Hudson Wind high D. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
As well you should be, Keith. That's gorgeous!

Author:  Adrian [ Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Keith

Your playing is fine but the arrangment and mixing of tracks is OUTSTANDING. You have a real gift in these areas.

I hope we will hear a lot more clips from you like this as it is was medicine for my soul.



I was thinking Abell wood D but interesting to learn that it is Delrin. It has a very woody sound and fooled me.

Page 4 of 12 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/