Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Song Number two - Jesus Paid It All
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Okay folks. Tomorrow will be two weeks from the first song. Hard to beleive. That was a quick two weeks and the turn out was amazing(pardon the pun) for the first song on the Praise Exchange. Lets keep the tracks rollin!

Next up.. Jesus Paid It All.. music now in new and improved PDF form!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/JesusPaidItAll.pdf

and for those who might not know the melody

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/jesuspaiditall.mp3

Lets get those tracks rolling in :) And for those who of you who might feel intimidated or nervous about sharing. Do it anyway :) hehehe

Seriously, please share with us your style of worship play. Or even as some in the last thread ...your experiments.

If this is not one of your fav hymns I encourage you to give it a whirl to. Lots of tunes to come and surely at some point we will hit a favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

been messing with this for a couple days. Wanted to add some keyboard but the more i listened to this basic track the more I liked it. Check itout.. Reyburn low D and ...wait for it... digireedoo

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... hadoes.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Big update this morning. About to run late for work so gotta make this quick. Here are Khl,Eternal Bro, and Jim's files

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/Jesuspaiditall__khl.mp3

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/Jesuspaiditall_eternalbro.mp3

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/jesuspaiditall1_jimw.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Hopefully the players in question will tell us what whistles and such these were done with :) :)

These are all three nice tracks. Yes Jim even you :) hehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:46 am 

I used my Hoover d praise whistle again. ( just can't seem to get away from it) :mrgreen:

About half the clips I record, sound like 'Snap Krackle and Pop' are living in my computer, and they've started a quartet, with my fridge. :x

I was thinking about purchasing a microphone, (since the one I use is built into the monitor of this dinosaur I call a computer.)

I don't know if that would help, or if it's something internal.

Any ideas? ( please remember, I'm about 99.9% computer illiterate. :oops: )

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Admin

A microphone would help alot. For whistle I actually use the microphone on my gaming headset. The headset was about 100 dollars. You can get decent mics though for around that and even less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Well now... four very nicely done renditions this morning!

shadoes - cool digiridoo... where did you get it? I've always liked that sound but I don't think there's enough oxygen in Colorado for me to try playing one. :laughing:

khl - makes me think of lightness of heart in thanks for the message of the song. Where are you recording since you're not at home right now?

eternalbro - You're doing great for a computer illiterate. :) I didn't hear any crackling in this one, but maybe sometimes there is some static electricity interfering. You could try spraying some Static Guard on a cloth and wiping down your computer, monitor, table top - and just spray some on the floor around your recording area.

Yes a mic would improve the recording, especially a uni-directional mic. Your monitor mic is probably omni-directional so it picks up everything in all directions.

However, you needn't spend the money for the Praise Exchange. I just want to hear your music; the background noise doesn't bother me. Nice use of ornamentation in a few spots. I would encourage you to try it a little slower so you can experiment with a little more ornamentation here and there, but just my opinion.

And Jim - way to go! You figured it out. Your rendition made me think of a morning call to worship from up on a mountain overlooking the village. :mrgreen: And I don't know why you've been whining about your playing ability - you did a nice job.

Here's a small tip for those of you with noisy environments: Audacity has a fade-in/fade-out effect you can employ on the beginning and end of your tracks. That way the background noise won't come in or cut out so abruptly - makes it slightly less jarring for the listener.

Thanks guys!
Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:26 am 

Yes, I would get a different microphone. Right next to the monitor is probably the worst possible location for a microphone.

If the situation still doesn't improve, try to find out where the Rice Krispy guys are coming from. You might try recording with the monitor turned off. If that doesn't work, it's probably your sound card.

Hopefully this helps.

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 am 
Site Admin

I picked up my digi a few years ago at our local RenFair. And to be honest :) I faked the track...well sort of. To play the digi you need to be able to circular breath. A technique I have yet to get working :) So I take a DEEEEEEP breath and play for as long as I can one one breath then just loop that around using a cross fade. So that as one section fades the next section comes up giving you the continuous drone it is supposed to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:50 am 

I played this on a Generation F whistle and a Mack Hoover Whitecap (and a bandaid around the whistle so the whitecap designed for Gen D would fit).

KittyR wrote:
khl - makes me think of lightness of heart in thanks for the message of the song. Where are you recording since you're not at home right now?

Thanks, I wanted to pick a tempo and a whistle that would be folksy, bright, and cheery. I recorded this in our rented apartment here in Provo using Audacity and a Logitech microphone ($30 at Radioshack).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:02 pm 

I used the Judy C ( my favorite whistle .. bar none) and Audacity. Am in a room with lots of electric noise. Maybe will figure out how to remove it but right now am just happy to be able to get a clip up.

Kitty ... will try and not "whine" .. but with the quality of clips I have heard and the problems I have had trying to record ... I was intimidated. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
with the quality of clips I have heard and the problems I have had trying to record ... I was intimidated. :shock:

Well good for you for stepping up to the mic in spite of a little intimidation! I'm enjoying it.

I found it was fun to go back through everyone's contributions of Amazing Grace and listen to them all in a row. I think I'll do that for all the PE tunes. :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:29 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
I used the Judy C ( my favorite whistle .. bar none) and Audacity. Am in a room with lots of electric noise. Maybe will figure out how to remove it but right now am just happy to be able to get a clip up.
:

:thumbsup: Glad you posted. It is intimidating for folks like you and me who aren't pros at this, but it gets to be fun. I'm also finding that I'm learning lots about playing by recording and listening to what I've played. And then I learn lots by seeing how others interpret the same piece.

Judy makes fine whistles. It's interesting to see how many rank the few whistles she's made as among their top favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:

Kitty ... will try and not "whine" .. but with the quality of clips I have heard and the problems I have had trying to record ... I was intimidated. :shock:

trust me even those of us who have recorded and posted before get nervous and sometimes intimidated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:16 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

trust me even those of us who have recorded and posted before get nervous and sometimes intimidated :)

I don't know ....last time I was ask by someone to "trust me" he was trying to sell me a car ... and I didn't :-k :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
last time I was ask by someone to "trust me" he was trying to sell me a car ... and I didn't :-k :laughing:

Well now... seems you're smarter than you look. :mrgreen:

But hey, we're getting off-topic so we should probably get back to the song now. Image :angel2:

Kitty :joker:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:19 am 

It will take me a while. This is a new one to me. I do not learn new tunes that quickly. Something about old dogs, etc. I may make it by the week end. We shall see.

BTW the mic I used is a Labtec Computer Mic I bought on Clearance for one dollar. I use Audacity software and the computer is one I put together myself.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:31 am 
Site Admin

hehe I have to remember that not all of us have been singing these hymns all our lives. But I am trying to at least have the first few throw no suprises at us melody wise. Some of the ones I want to post will have to wait. For example Blessed Assurance has two problem areas. One a G# which is surmountable by a little practice(of which I still need more) but the other is the silly C below the low D in the melody twice.

Jesus Paid it all is a great tune, the lyrics are

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”

Refrain --

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

------

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim,
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.

Refrain

And now complete in Him
My robe His righteousness,
Close sheltered ’neath His side,
I am divinely blest.

Refrain

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.

Refrain

When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
Shall rend the vaulted skies.

Refrain

And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down
All down at Jesus’ feet.

Refrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:26 am 

I just tryed 'Blessed Assurance', and I couldn't even figure out where to start. :roll:

How about 'Jesus Loves Me'? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:28 am 

shadoes wrote:
Blessed Assurance has two problem areas. One a G# which is surmountable by a little practice(of which I still need more) but the other is the silly C below the low D in the melody twice.

If you transcribe it into the key of G, the G# will turn into a C# and the lower C# will turn into an F#, both accessible with no special effort.

Of course, if you still want to play it in D, you can either play an "A" whistle or a soprano recorder, or you can have someone else partially cover the end of the whistle for that one note. ;)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 am 
Site Admin

brassblower wrote:
shadoes wrote:
Blessed Assurance has two problem areas. One a G# which is surmountable by a little practice(of which I still need more) but the other is the silly C below the low D in the melody twice.

If you transcribe it into the key of G, the G# will turn into a C# and the lower C# will turn into an F#, both accessible with no special effort.

Of course, if you still want to play it in D, you can either play an "A" whistle or a soprano recorder, or you can have someone else partially cover the end of the whistle for that one note. ;)

I hadn't fiddled with transcribing it yet :) Just playing it in the written key I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:32 am 

AHA!!! When I read the lyrics it all comes back to me. Long ago in early youth I sang this hymn. I remember now. That will probably help a lot. I find I can learn a tune easier if I can sing the words.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:21 am 

eternalbro wrote:

Major pentatonic scale...4/4 time...electric guitar...reverb...know what I'm thinking? :idea:

SURF'S UP! 8)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 am 
Site Admin

brassblower wrote:
eternalbro wrote:

Major pentatonic scale...4/4 time...electric guitar...reverb...know what I'm thinking? :idea:

SURF'S UP! 8)

hmm surf music Jesus Loves Me.. that would rock :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Here is a second rendition from Eternal Bro

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/JesusPaidItAll2_eternalbro.mp3