Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: For those using Audacitiy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Installed Audacity today because I had been asked some questions about it. Mainly to play around with the reverb settings a bit. If you are so inclined try these settings in the gverb that comes with the program

Roomsize 52
reverb time 7.57
damping 0.08
Inputbandwidth 0.51
dry signal 0.0
early reflection -40.25
tail level -17.5

To get the effects to actually work you have to highlight(left click and drag) the audio section you want to effect. Play around with the various settings until you find something you like. But for those having difficulty there is a starting point.

I am certainly not an audactiy expert but feel free to shoot me any more questions and we can see if we can figure it out.

Here is what those settings sound like on my Obrien Maple

http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/amhran_audacity_Obrien.mp3

the reverb settings I use in Mixcraft sound like this

http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/amhran_obrien_liteVerb.mp3

I tried to match that as close as I could. With a little tweaking I am sure it could become an exact match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:08 pm 

Ed, I downloaded Audacity and it works well, to a point, but I can't adjust ANY settings. What am I missing? Is it because I'm using the free version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

nope you have to follow what I said exactly. for the effects and stuff to work you have to highlight the audio by left clicking(hold) and draging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:28 pm 

You have to open the file and then go to "edit" and "select all" and then you can click on "effects" and then "Gverb" and change your settings. Then try it. If you don't like the sounds go to" edit" and click "undo" .. and then "edit" .. and "select all" again .. and "effects" and "GVErb" and try some other setting. keep trying until you get one you like. If I am repeating anything someone else has already covered I am sorry .. just saw BHs message.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 pm 

shadoes wrote:
nope you have to follow what I said exactly. for the effects and stuff to work you have to highlight the audio by left clicking(hold) and draging.
I have no problem with that part, Ed, but everything I record is at such low volume, and I'm trying to find a way of recording at normal volume so you don't have to boost it when you get it. Also I'd like to add some effects, but they are faded (faint?) and can't be clicked on. I can see where all the effects should be, but I can't access them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Blackhawk, to make your recording louder you might try "amplify" under the "Effects" heading. But before anything will change you have to highlight the recording. The place to use the settings shadoe lists is under "Gverb" in the "Effects" list, like Jim mentioned. But it took me several tries before finding out I had to highlight what I wanted to change ... :?

Now, I'm trying to figure out a metronome track or somehow to mix two tracks together and have them actually match up. How do you guys have time to figure out all this stuff? :(

Good luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:34 am 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
shadoes wrote:
I have no problem with that part, Ed, but everything I record is at such low volume, and I'm trying to find a way of recording at normal volume so you don't have to boost it when you get it. Also I'd like to add some effects, but they are faded (faint?) and can't be clicked on. I can see where all the effects should be, but I can't access them.

the reason you cannot access them is you do not have your audio section highlighted. You have to highlight the audio you want to put the effect on then the items under the menu will become usable. I just highlighted the entire thing that way the effect is applied to the whole selection.

For recording at higher volumes see if there is somewhere you can turn up your mic gain/volume. If not then you will just have to boost the signal after. Audacity has a normalize effect that should help with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Admin

If you like searching through help files to find what you meed, Audacity has an area here for topics:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/

If you don't like help files, they also have their own forum where you can ask questions.
http://audacityteam.org/forum/

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm 

KittyR wrote:
If you like searching through help files to find what you meed, Audacity has an area here for topics:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/

If you don't like help files, they also have their own forum where you can ask questions.
http://audacityteam.org/forum/

Kitty

Thanks, Kitty, I should be able to find some info there that will help me figure this out.