Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: KABOOM!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

guys I had a computer meltdown here last night. We had a storm and apparently we took a lightnight hit to the front yard. very nice perfect circle of black about 18 inches across in my front yard so either it was lightning or the aliens that make the crop circles got confused for a moment :)

Anyway desktop got shipped back to gateway today and will be gone anywhere from 2 -4 weeks.

I am in the process of geting my laptop set up to keep the clips uploading but I have no finale software to do my arranging on here on the laptop. So TPE might slow to a crawl tillI get my desktop back.

I apologize. I should have the clips currently waiting to be uploaded up soon. Part of my problem is I cannot spend long periods of time on the laptop. Regular keyboard(IE non natural) kill my post Carpel tunnel wrists.

So I ask that you be patient. sigh... what really blew was I had to diagnose the problem for the technician. I did most of the work at the service center before they finally agreed to send it back to gateway. sheesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm 

Personally, I think it was the aliens. They're against us, you know, and I hear they don't lilke music. 8-[

The work you do on the praise exchange is genuinely appreciated and we'll all wait patiently for everything to get back to normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 pm 

Oh man, that's a major drag, Ed. Having a downed computer is hard to handle. But we have made a good start here on this forum, so let's count our blessings, and we'll be patient until you get things back to normal. And don't push yourself on the uncomfortable keyboard. We can wait til you get the good one back. Nothing here is worth you re-injuring yourself. Here's to a fast turnaround. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Well THAT'S a major bummer... I sympathize with you, especially the part about having to diagnose the problem for the service tech. :roll:

But as the others have said, there's no deadline to meet so don't be troubled by the wait.

I'm glad no one was actually in the yard when the aliens zapped your lawn. That could have been rather unpleasant. Image

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

yea we noticed the spot this evening. it is almost a perfect circle. hehe will have to see if I can get a picture of it if I can locate my camera. gotta find the box it is hiding out in hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that was close, shadoes! I've lost 4 surge protectors to lightning so far this year, but that was (Thank You, Lord!) the only damage. Several years ago, before we had computers spread over the house, lightning hit an outside electric line and followed it into the house. Killed 3 stereos, a freezer, a TV and 3 phones. Nasty stuff!

I have Finale Song Writer. If you want, send me a PM on what song you had in mind for the next one. Between us, we might manage to get it posted before your main computer comes back home .....

.... and yet, the break might give us sluggards (meaning me) who haven't sent clips on the last two songs a chance to catch up .... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:09 am 

Buy the parts, plug them together, install Linux and you don't need tech support...

I like to have 3 working boxen, jic of lightning or failure of some other kind.

Keep lots of replacement fans, I find they fail more than other stuff in computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:42 am 

Lightning hit my grandpa's house a long time ago, when dad was living in it, and he said that it made the walls black, blew the TV out, and woke him up (surprise, surprise :shock: ).

As far as aliens- don't be so rude- go out and meet'em next time! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:04 am 
Site Admin

had I known they were out there I wouls have served them tea :) sneaky little buggers heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Image We come to play music ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 am 

Judy K wrote:

Image We come to play music ...

Ah ha ... did you finally post a picture of yourself ? :thumbsup: :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:36 am 

When I was a partner in a Radio and TV sales and service business, we had a call about a lightning strike.

The lightning had struck the corner of his A-frame house. It had knocked about half of the plastic covers off of the electrical outlets, knocked out his TV, stereo, antenna preamp, and several other appliances.

He had been sleeping on the couch at the time and it knocked him off the couch and he woke up lying in the floor!

Thank God, I am glad I haven't had a strike that close. They did cut down some old trees here that had some damage from a wind storm last year. I had worried about the lightning hitting them (I had a pin oak tree in front of my apartment). Now, I get a little sun in the afternoon.

I might better replace my surge suppressors as well as I lost the power supply to my M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card a few weeks ago. It was plugged into a strip that supposedly has a surge suppressor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Well I finally have my system back and working. Only problem is gateway was so kind as to reformat teh harddrive thus getting rid of everything on and reinstall the OS. So bascially the machine is just like to came home the first night<sigh> working on getting everything reinstalled but it is slow going heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that's a real bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:35 am 

I recommend two hard drives when running Windows. One hard drive to hold the operating system, the other to hold the data you wish to save.

That way, you can have important data recalled, even though you have to re-install software by hand (another + for Linux!).

I have MOST things installed to a seperate drive. But not all. When one runs out of space on the second drive one does what one has to. Really this is not the first time I have been thru a system loss. It just takes time to get things going again.

On the bright side all the essentials are reinstalled including as of about ten minutes ago finale.

Oh and if ALL my games and other software would run on Linux I would use it. But until that happens I will stick with Windows :) At one point my computer (a 486sx25) had Win95, win311 for workgroups, OS2 Warp, and Linux all installed on it via Os2Warp's wonderful boot manager. Warp was a quality OS but it failed simply due to lack of advertising. Cause on OS2 I could run every windows program I had. At least at the time hehe. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I recommend two hard drives when running Windows. One hard drive to hold the operating system, the other to hold the data you wish to save.

That way, you can have important data recalled, even though you have to re-install software by hand (another + for Linux!).

I have MOST things installed to a seperate drive. But not all. When one runs out of space on the second drive one does what one has to. Really this is not the first time I have been thru a system loss. It just takes time to get things going again.

On the bright side all the essentials are reinstalled including as of about ten minutes ago finale.

Oh and if ALL my games and other software would run on Linux I would use it. But until that happens I will stick with Windows :) At one point my computer (a 486sx25) had Win95, win311 for workgroups, OS2 Warp, and Linux all installed on it via Os2Warp's wonderful boot manager. Warp was a quality OS but it failed simply due to lack of advertising. Cause on OS2 I could run every windows program I had. At least at the time hehe. :shock: