Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: How do I record myself playing?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:18 pm 

Hi all.

I downloaded Audacity the other day. It seems like they assume that everyone downloading it already knows how to use it. :?

I have never recorded using a computer so I don't know what I need to do or where to start. :oops:

I have a clip on instrument microphone from Finale. I plugged it into the mic port in my computer but nuttin' happened.

If someone could give me dummed down step by step instructions, that would be great. I find all kinds of stuff online about customizing the settings..but I need to record a track first! even if it sounds crappy. customizing can come later.

The sooner I learn, the sooner you can all hear me play....well, once I learn how to post a sound clip on here too ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, let's see. First of all, open the program and take a look at the little set of icons a bit to the left there. You'll see a rewind, play, record (the red dot is record), two blue squares for pause, a yellow square for stop, and a fast forward. That's what you'll use to record, just like a cassette deck. Just under and to the right of that set of icons you'll see a little white box where you can drop down a menu. In that drop down menu, be sure you've got microphone checked off. I had trouble with that one at first. Then make sure you're ready, click the red record dot, and start playing. It will create a track, and you should be able to watch the wave forms your music is making. If you're not seeing it, then check a couple of things. Is your level too low? You can reset that by sliding the slider that's right next to the microphone menu. Click to the right to make it louder. The other thing is make sure it's microphone you've got checked, and your microphone is plugged in to the mic input on your computer.

After it's all recorded, just click stop and then play and you should be able to hear yourself.

Hope that'll help.

OH!!!! Does your computer have a sound card? If you've listened to anything on it before, the answer is yes. But without a sound card there's nothing to record onto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Kim, here's a link to Whistle This! and it's instructions on how to record. It took me 3 or 4 readings through, but it helped. After finally making and tweaking a recording, you need to convert it to an MP3. The link for the program (LAME MP3 Encoder) to do that is also at Whistle This.

Feel free to send me a PM with any question. I'm not very far ahead of you on this recording scheme -- easy to remember just what made the :idea: light up.... 8)

Check out a lot of the posts here on the Praise Exchange. A lot of hints for Audacity are posted among the threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Kim, here's a link to Whistle This! and it's instructions on how to record. It took me 3 or 4 readings through, but it helped. After finally making and tweaking a recording, you need to convert it to an MP3. The link for the program (LAME MP3 Encoder) to do that is also at Whistle This.

Feel free to send me a PM with any question. I'm not very far ahead of you on this recording scheme -- easy to remember just what made the :idea: light up.... 8)

Check out a lot of the posts here on the Praise Exchange. A lot of hints for Audacity are posted among the threads.

I might add here that if you can get the song into WAV format which is what audacity outputs you can upload it and I can convert it before I put it out. But not till I get my desktop home :)

I have done that already for a couple and even boosted the signal on one track to make it actually hearable.

Bottom line is if you can't get it converted to mp3 one of us around here can help I am sure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:26 am 

I downloaded Audacity a couple of wks. ago. Took me a while to get my microphone to work. You would think plugging it into the pink microphone jack would do the trick...I have one on top of the cpu for easy access, and another in the back...neither one worked. I have a bunch of other jacks in the back of the cpu down towards the bottom, where my speakers are plugged in. I kept trying slots until I found one that worked. Not sure what that's about.

I did manage to make a recording, it sounded pretty good. I didn't know how to edit out the noise so the previous link someone posted helped. Now I need to learn how to put reverb in my recording.

I just tried sliding various effect bars around and boy was that a disaster haha. I'm not sure what each of those settings do so I'm not sure what to change.

Haven't downloaded the mp3 program yet.

Going out of town on retreat for a few days so I'll have to wait until I get back.

Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this recording thing and I don't have any experience with converting WAV files to mp3s etc. I still don't know how to get a piece from Finale onto CD.