It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Recording Tracks in Audacity
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

[NOTE: This new thread was split from another topic.]

ConnieS wrote:
Third harmony (tenor) was on the Susato A Blackhawk gave me. That was the hard part. I couldn't wrap my mind around transposing to the A whistle, so I recorded it one phrase at a time, practicing each phrase over and over and then recording it as a little tiny stand-alone file. Then I patched it all together. It felt a little like cheating, but that's what the big dogs in Nashville do. Hope that's okay. I really did the whole top melody line all at once. It's just the tenor that gave me trouble.

Connie, how do you do that -- patching everything together? I'm a total newbie at this recording stuff. How can you take bits & pieces, put it all together and get such smooth sound?

Post subject: Re: ConnieS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Connie, how do you do that -- patching everything together? I'm a total newbie at this recording stuff. How can you take bits & pieces, put it all together and get such smooth sound?

I just learned a phrase, and then record the next track, waiting quietly and nervously until the phrase got there and play it. You can do multiple tracks--I don't know how many, my computer starts locking up at seven or eight. That way I could record the phrase over and over until it sounded good. Each phrase is now a stand-alone file and can be left where it is or moved to somewhere else on its track, or even copied and pasted into another project. Then after I put the three verses together (I made each verse into a track and moved each file around on the track), then I made it all an mp3.

Okay, here's how to do the final render. First, make your verses. Make each one its own mp3 somewhere. Then download it into Audacity by clicking "Project," and "Import Audio." As you import each one, it will make its own track on your project, and they'll be all playing at the same time. Next, look to the upper left on your Audacity screen and find the arrow pointing two ways. That's your mover tool. When that's activated, you can mouse on the event on a track and move it to anywhere you want it. Get it roughly where you want it. Then it's just a matter of counting beats and patiently moving it in little increments until it's where you want it. It's fun!

I told Kitty I spent way too much time on this project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

There is in fact a bit of an art if you will to doing what she describes hehe. :mrgreen: I cannot count the hours I have spent trying to get a punched in phrase to sit in the right spot timing wise hehe. Mainly you just have to keep fiddling with it till you get it in the right spot. hehe another one of those things that there is no magic bullet for other than lots of practice at it :)

and as Connie has found out the number of tracks you can do depends on the power of your machine. heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
There is in fact a bit of an art if you will to doing what she describes hehe. :mrgreen: I cannot count the hours I have spent trying to get a punched in phrase to sit in the right spot timing wise hehe. Mainly you just have to keep fiddling with it till you get it in the right spot. hehe another one of those things that there is no magic bullet for other than lots of practice at it :)

and as Connie has found out the number of tracks you can do depends on the power of your machine. heh

As Shadoes aptly expresses here (HEHE!!), it's FUN!!!!!! Then when you get all that stuff together, ACID and Cakewalk are a whole 'nuther level of addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:29 am 
Site Admin

AH! It was the art of moving tracks around that was totally eluding me. Now there is at least a little light at the end of the tunnel. (It was just the "Thar be dragons ahead" sign on the tunnel entrance that worried me ... ;) )

Thanks!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 am 

Judy K wrote:
(It was just the "Thar be dragons ahead" sign on the tunnel entrance that worried me ... ;) )
Yeah, that one always gets to me, too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
Judy K wrote:
(It was just the "Thar be dragons ahead" sign on the tunnel entrance that worried me ... ;) )
Yeah, that one always gets to me, too. :D

not me I love dragons :) And they love me.. especially with ketchup!