Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Song 5 - All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=845
Page 2 of 4

Author:  Judy K [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:28 am ]
Post subject: 

If you have to suffer insomnia, might as well put it to good use. :D

Author:  KittyR [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Very nice, Connie! I like the harpsichord, it gives the arrangement a dignified, classical music feeling. And then the drum track comes along with a playful sort of feeling. To me, anyway.

I find myself wishing there was a stronger ending... like a timpani roll and full bass or something. Would you mind putting that in for me? :laughing:

Nah, with all the editing you did, I know it was a lot of work. Isn't it fun to tinker with stuff like this? (And doesn't it just suck the hours right out of your day?)

Kitty

Author:  ConnieS [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

You got THAT right!! I mean about the time warp you get into. AND about the fun.

Yeah, in the rough mix the bass was a lot stronger, and there's a drum roll in there all right, but when I put it on CD and played it on my boombox, the whole percussion track seemed TOO strong. So I backed it off. That was a mistake. What comes out in a pure mix is different from what you hear on little computer speakers or a cheap set of headphones. Judy found out what a big difference good headphones makes.

Okay...I'll dig up the original mix and try that on.

I really hope you find time for your mix, Kitty. No competition...no way!! Kitty's been doing this a lot longer than I have, so I look forward to hearing another mix and learning a bit more...whether it's this song or the next.


Hey, and you know, don't erase your accompaniment tracks once you lay your whistle on top. You can use that stuff to accompany yourself in church!!

Author:  KittyR [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
What comes out in a pure mix is different from what you hear on little computer speakers or a cheap set of headphones.

My computer speakers are about as tall as my PC, and I also have a sub-woofer. :) So I'm probably mixing a little light on the bass myself.


ConnieS wrote:
Hey, and you know, don't erase your accompaniment tracks once you lay your whistle on top. You can use that stuff to accompany yourself in church!!

As a matter of fact, I sent a mix of one song - minus the voice track - to a friend whose wife sang in church using my backing. I'd be happy to send any mixes without a whistle track to anyone who wanted to play around with them.

Kitty

Author:  ConnieS [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

KittyR wrote:
I'd be happy to send any mixes without a whistle track to anyone who wanted to play around with them.

Kitty


:shock: You're kiddin'! That's a most generous offer.

I'll make the same offer if anybody feels anything was usable.

Author:  KittyR [ Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey guys, Connie has updated her track...

"I remixed with a bigger ending. Plus I found a way to clean up the percussion track so you can hear more of the cool toys I put in it. :mrgreen: "

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... onnies.mp3

Yeah.... I like the drums and other stuff being more out front. Makes it sound more deliberate than like an afterthought.

Author:  RonKiley [ Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I like that Connie. It must have cost a fortune to hire that orhestra to back you. :D

I especially like the variations you have made. Very nice. I can see that music software is in my near future.

Author:  ConnieS [ Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

RonKiley wrote:
It must have cost a fortune to hire that orhestra to back you. :D


The software is nice. It never quits the job due to "artistic differences." :laughing: And never asks for a raise. Although it can be a bit stubborn until you get it figured out.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
RonKiley wrote:
It must have cost a fortune to hire that orhestra to back you. :D


The software is nice. It never quits the job due to "artistic differences." :laughing: And never asks for a raise. Although it can be a bit stubborn until you get it figured out.

Now that is nice ... next stop Carnige Hall .... then it is on the road again! :D

Author:  KittyR [ Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  RonKiley

Our next clip is from RonKiley:

    "It is my ancient Feadog held together with super glue and tape. It has a blue tack tweak."
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nKiley.mp3

Author:  Adrian [ Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: RonKiley

KittyR wrote:
Our next clip is from RonKiley:

    "It is my ancient Feadog held together with super glue and tape. It has a blue tack tweak."
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nKiley.mp3



Nice one Ron. I love the beautiful sound of simple whistle.

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RonKiley

Adrian wrote:
KittyR wrote:
Our next clip is from RonKiley:

    "It is my ancient Feadog held together with super glue and tape. It has a blue tack tweak."
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nKiley.mp3



Nice one Ron. I love the beautiful sound of simple whistle.


I'll second this! :D

Author:  eternalbro [ Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:24 am ]
Post subject: 

:thumbsup: =D> I like them all.

Author:  Judy K [ Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Image Aye, matey .. me, too!

This statement brought to you on "talk like a pirate day".

Author:  ConnieS [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wow, Ron! You get some nice sound out of that Feadog. :mrgreen:

Author:  ConnieS [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brassblower

KittyR wrote:
He writes: Instruments used: Clarke Original D whistle, Kerry Low D whistle, organ.


I just realized I never commented on Brassblower's All Hail the Power. I really like that Clarke Original in there. I never would have thought to put it with a Kerry Low D AND an organ. I would have thought they would have overpowered the Clarke Orig, but it held its own. Good call, puttin' that little Clarke in there with the big dawgs.:mrgreen: They all made a very nice compination.

Author:  RonKiley [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

I also liked brassblowers use of the Clarke. I am not a big fan of the Clarke original. I don't particularly like airy sounding whistles. This Clarke doesn't sound that airy. Have you reduced the windway or changed the blade position any?

Author:  Ren-Tin-10 [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you liked it. 8)

ConnieS wrote:
KittyR wrote:
He writes: Instruments used: Clarke Original D whistle, Kerry Low D whistle, organ.


I just realized I never commented on Brassblower's All Hail the Power. I really like that Clarke Original in there. I never would have thought to put it with a Kerry Low D AND an organ. I would have thought they would have overpowered the Clarke Orig, but it held its own. Good call, puttin' that little Clarke in there with the big dawgs.:mrgreen: They all made a very nice compination.


Actually, the organ was turned down quite low, and the mic on the Kerry was closer to the top hole than it was to the windway. ;)

RonKiley wrote:
I also liked brassblowers use of the Clarke. I am not a big fan of the Clarke original. I don't particularly like airy sounding whistles. This Clarke doesn't sound that airy. Have you reduced the windway or changed the blade position any?


Yes, I did make some tweaks, but rather than being made to the whistle, they were made to the recording. I placed the mic under the whistle rather than above it, and EQ'd out the low end to deal with the breathiness. ;)

(Edited because I can't tpye).

Author:  shadoes [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

yikes we are a bit past the time for the next song. I am still without a real computer and most of my software. So any ideas anyone?

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
yikes we are a bit past the time for the next song. I am still without a real computer and most of my software. So any ideas anyone?
I've been thinking that all day but didn't want anyone to feel pressured. But since you ask.... :mrgreen:

I'm up for a new one! :party:

Author:  ConnieS [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

How about Be Thou My Vision? Or Power in the Blood?

Be Thou My Vision is up at "Whistle and Squeak."

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Or Rock of Ages?

Author:  shadoes [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Be Though My vision would be good. It is slower and fairly easy to play but I think quite pretty. I have done a medley of Bethou and Sweet hour of prayer.

Author:  Adrian [ Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

ConnieS wrote:
Wow, Ron! You get some nice sound out of that Feadog. :mrgreen:


Did Tommy tweak it? It does sound nice.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:07 am ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
Be Though My vision would be good. It is slower and fairly easy to play but I think quite pretty. I have done a medley of Bethou and Sweet hour of prayer.
Yeah, Be Thou would be cool. :)

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/