It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Equalization (EQ) in Audacity
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Tell me more about equalization.

[This is just a discussion starter. If anyone else has more tips or different techniques please share them as well.]

Hey Judy,

First you highlight the part or section you want to apply EQ to.

Then open the EQ box and you'll see this:

Ignore all those predefined curves, they're worthless. Just look at the top section. It shows a graph of the Equalization curve which you're going to apply to your highlighted section.

Along the bottom is a map of the frequency range - in other words, the low end of the sound (bass) is on the left, the midrange is in the middle and the highs (treble) are on the right.

Along the the left side is a scale of how much you're going to increase or decease each frequency. It's a flat line right now because you've not made any adjustments yet.

So let's say we're going to boost the low frequencies a little. You take your mouse and you click somewhere on the left side of the line to make an edit point. Then you raise it up. That adjusts the entire line - all frequencies the same. Which means you just raised the volume level of all frequencies. But we only want to raise the bass, not everything. So click again just to the right of where your first edit point was to create another edit point, then lower everything else back down again. You would end up with something like this:

That shows that I will raise the level of all frequencies below about 100Hz by about 10 decibels.

You can put as many edit points on your line as you like. You can adjust a very broad range of frequencies or a very narrow one.

The reason it's called a curve is because usually you adjust the EQ in a curve for a more subtle effect. But if a more obvious effect is what you desire, then there's nothing wrong with that.

For what I suggested to you to have a whistle cut through the mix a little, I would start by trying something like this:

Then click Preview to see how it sounds, and just play with the curve until you find the effect you're looking for. As you can see, I've started out by boosting the upper mid-range and lower high-end.

Clear as mud? :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:02 am 
Site Admin

Cool, Kitty! You've provided windshield wipers for the mud. I may not have a totally clear picture, yet ... but I'm getting a glimpse. :mrgreen:

Those 'pre-loaded' curves were all I really saw -- didn't realize the blue line was something I could play with. You all ( you, Connie, Shadoes) are doing a great job teaching Audacity 101 to all of us 'beginners'.

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:10 am 

Judy K wrote:
Cool, Kitty! You've provided windshield wipers for the mud. I may not have a totally clear picture, yet ... but I'm getting a glimpse. :mrgreen:

Those 'pre-loaded' curves were all I really saw -- didn't realize the blue line was something I could play with. You all ( you, Connie, Shadoes) are doing a great job teaching Audacity 101 to all of us 'beginners'.

:thumbsup:

Hear, hear! Thanks to all of you for taking the time to explain all this stuff to us. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Kitty, what range would the flute fall into on the equalization scale? I really created "mud" on a try at the 3 different tunes for All Hail the Power. Did the 3 OK, then added the first in again ... that's when I overdid the EQ and made muffled mud ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Yes, "Muffled Mud" is a setting too many sound engineers seem to use. :laughing:

Unfortunately, my dear, it's Trial and Error to get the sound you want. Are you wanting the flute to stand out a little more from the accompaniment? Backing off the volume of the accompanying tracks in the mix will help a little with that.

As far as EQ, try listening to just the flute track alone and boosting what you would guess are the frequencies you want to hear more of - upper mid-range and highs. Then listen to it with the full mix and see what you think. Compare you EQ'd sound to the original sound to see if you're moving it in the right direction.

Then bang your head on the table and start all over. :mrgreen:

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:29 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Then bang your head on the table and start all over. :mrgreen:

I have that part down pat! :lol: