Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Music Software
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am 

You all have inspired me to learn some new things. I would like to be able to produce a track of accompaniment for a whistle solo. Now I am sure that for all of you this is a piece of cake but not for me. Is there software that will allow me to write the melody line on the staff and then the program will produce an accompaniment midi using selectable instruments? I notice many of you use various programs. Please let me know what you use and how much it sells for, what it can do, and how easy it is for an old dog to learn new tricks. :D

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

check into Finale Notepad. It is free but not sure what output options it has. I use full blown Finale and it will output like you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'm using a free version of Noteworthy Compser. I just write out want I want, select the instrument I want to be the voice for it, and then record it in Audacity while it's playing in Noteworthy.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:03 pm 

You can find all sorts of audio programs, both audio recording/editing and midi programs, at the Shareware Music Machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Ron, the program I use is Finale's Song Writer (~$50). Finale Notepad is free, but doesn't have the "band-in-a-box" harmonizing function. (At least, my Finale Notepad 2003 doesn't.) With Song Writer, I write a melody line and the chords, then use "band-in-a-box" to provide a harmony -- adjusting it where I don't like what it plays. You do have to provide an 'empty' instrument line for the harmony to fit in. Then, no matter what instrument I listed originally, I can change the midi sound to another instrument, then create an audio file to import to Audacity.

It's fun! You have to try it! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:02 am 

I use Finale PrintMusic which is the next level up from SongWriter. This is also super. It allows me to write music by playing a wind or brass instrument into a mic. Also allows music to just be scanned in. Natually it has all the gizmos of the Notepad and SongWriter. We are very pleased with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:57 am 
Site Admin

Oh ... Finale's PrintMusic sounds nice .... looks like an upgrade may be in my future .... ;)

I can play on a midi keyboard and have the music printed, but not an instrument into a microphone. What a great feature!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:22 am 

You guys are great. I tried the Noteworthy composer. It certainly is easy to input notes and play them. I put in All Hail and added some simple harmony. I played it with a church organ voice and it sounded great. The Songwriter sounds interesting. Of course if I buy any of these it reduces my WhOA fund quite a bit.

After finding the Walton's C on Monday I am not sure if I will ever buy a high end whistle again. There are plenty of cheapies that are very nice traditional sounding whistles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:18 pm 

I've made midis with Anvil Studio (free) and converted them to nice sounding wavs with Timidity(free, difficult to find and setup, large download), then converted the wavs to mp3s and added reverb/ fade with Audacity(free).

I could try to play along with one and combine. That would be interesting. Maybe some background chords would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Kris, tell me more about Anvil. I was just looking at their website and over a tutorial posted there. It looks like Anvil might be easier for someone who isn't used to writing music, using the 'click-and-drag' notes for everything, including drums. I don't know how to write the drum score in SongWriter, but Anvil seems (at first glance) to solve that.

It seems like it could be fun to play with! :D

.... like I need another time-wasting, musical toy ... :roll:. .. why, YES! I DO! -- :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:36 pm 

I am having so much fun. I have written up All Hail and can play it back at different tempos. At 90 bpm I can play along with the midi. I will increase tempo a bit before I record something to save. That Print Music is starting to look good. This is great I have something else I don't have time for. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:17 am 
Site Admin

It's addictive, isn't it? :D

I downloaded Anvil. It's totally different from SongWriter. Drove my sister nuts with it for an hour with .."Listen to this! Wait, I changed something -- Now listen! ..." :lol:

Guess Noteworthy Composer will be next, just to see what it has to offer ... This stuff is as bad as whistles. Is there a Musical Composition Software Obsessive Acquisition Disorder -- and would it be called McSoad? :roll:

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Is there a Musical Composition Software Obsessive Acquisition Disorder -- and would it be called McSoad?

You need some serious help.

:laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:13 am 

KittyR wrote:
Judy K wrote:
Is there a Musical Composition Software Obsessive Acquisition Disorder -- and would it be called McSoad?

In so many ways ... in so many ways! :thumbsup: :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:49 am 
Site Admin

given that I have tried virtually every piece of recording software in existance for the last ten years... I would say yes it can get a bit obsessive trying to find just that right one hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Judy K wrote:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
You two just got me a seriously weird look from my husband. I'm literally snickering into my computer screen.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, Jim...in so many ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/help.gif[/img]

... somehow, I don't feel all alone in my obsessions ..... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:27 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
After finding the Walton's C on Monday I am not sure if I will ever buy a high end whistle again. There are plenty of cheapies that are very nice traditional sounding whistles.

Ron
I assume you did the blutack tweak, which makes the Walton even nicer. Now try putting that mouthpiece on a Gen nickel C. I think you'll be amazed. Mine is as nice as any high end C that I own.

The other great thing about Waltons is that after extensive testing the Walton proved to be the best whistle for playing outdoors when there was a wind.

Glad you found the software you needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:30 am 

No Adrian I did nothing at all to the Waltons. It is exactly the way it came out of the box. I did the blutack thing to some whistles and then removed it because it killed some of the complexity. I have a Feadog that I can't say I tweaked it but it split down the center of the ramp. I put it back together with super glue and tape and it sounds great. Some of my whistles have blutack some do not. I have modified a few extensively sometimes changing the sound. I am careful about selecting a whistle. The one place I buy them I can play before buying. I go through a few and usually find one I love the sound of. Ocassionally I find one that is exceptiomal. If I can't play the whistle I look down the windway and look for one that the bottom of the ramp is close to the bottom of the windway. That is usually a good whistle. If it sounds good to you and you can play it it is a good whistle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:42 pm 

I am in Milford Ohio at the moment. I went to the Microcenter a few miles away and bought Finale Print Music. Now when I get home I can start learning to use it. My granddaughter is getting married on Friday here and we will have a reception on Saturday. We will probably return home on Monday or Tuesday. This sounds like a great program to play around with. I noticed the Notator part of it that allows me to play my whistle into the mic and it will enter the notes on the staff. This might yield some interesting results both in the actual notes and in the timing.

I will let you know next week.