Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: MP3 bitrate / file size discussion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
How or where do you change the bitrate of your recording?

Ah, Grasshopper............. snatch the pebble from my hand......

Depends on how you're creating the file.

For Audacity users:

1. If you HAVE installed the plug-in so that you may export files as MP3, then go to File -> Preferences and click the File Formats tab. (Ctrl+P will get you to the Preferences.)

Down in "MP3 Export Setup" you can set the bitrate of exported files. You can experiment with the bitrate a little to get the smallest file size with acceptable quality. Export two or three different versions of a song with differing bitrates and listen to the difference between them.
  2. If you HAVE NOT installed the MP3 plug-in, you can still export the song as a .WAV file (or .OGG if you prefer that format) and use some other software to convert it to MP3, selecting the bitrate at the time of conversion. I downloaded dB PowerAmp Converter back when it was still a free program but I think it's $15 these days.

Here's BlackHawk's original file at a 128k bitrate:
http://praisewhistlers.org/clips/factor ... ckhawk.mp3

Here's the same song at 54k bitrate:
http://praisewhistlers.org/clips/factor ... wk_54k.mp3

The lower bitrate file is half the size of the original, yet there is no real discernable difference in the playback quality.

A more complicated recording, as in more tracks and instruments, etc., will have a more noticable difference in the quality at a lower bitrate - because there is more information to encode.

That's all for today - Quiz tomorrow. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

You're kidding! dB PowerAmp costs money? That's a bummer.

We can't post Oggs here, can we? I mean, I guess we could, but everybody can't play them, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure as many people would be able to play OGG files, or figure out how to install something that would. MP3's do not retain as much quality as OGG files, but I think they're still more universal right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 pm 

In Adobe Audition (nee Cool Edit), you can save your MP3 files under several CBR (constant bitrate) options, or as VBR (variable bitrate). I usually use 128k CBR because some music sites have trouble with VBR.

If your track is relatively uncomplicated, and space is at a premium, VBR is the way to go.

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:16 am 
Site Admin

... reaching for pebble ... darn! I missed! [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/ninja2.gif[/img]

But I did find the right spot on Audacity to change the bitrate -- Thank you, O Learned One. Who invented all of this stuff? And didn't they consider some of the more clueless people could become real pests to 'those in the know'? ;)

OGG??! Isn't that where Dorothy meets the Tin Man, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion? ... not asking --don't wanna know ...

A couple of more questions ... you might want to start new threads with or not ...

Since we've all recorded at different volumes, is there an easy way to get everyone's MP3s to about equal volume before making a CD? I've adjusted the volume on a couple of mine using "Amplify" in Audacity, even lowered the volume on someone else's. Any way to know you have a 'standard' volume on it all? Listening on the WMP didn't quite get it. I thought I had fixed them all ... until I burned the CD. :roll:

I have made one CD and played it in my car. That led to a friend ... "Oh, that's sooooo nice. Did you make me a copy?" How does everyone feel about that? "Legally", as unprotected files, there is not a problem (maybe? :? ). I'm more concerned with personal preferences of my friends here. Plus, some of you might have your arrangements under copyright. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 am 

College has stolen my time, so I havn't been posting clips, but if I do, then I have absolutely no problem with people sharing it, learning from it, transposing it down 4 keys in audacity, copying or mimicking it, poking fun at it, writing it on a CD and burning it, playing it in the garden to keep the crows away from the melons, deleting it from their hard drive, including it with something commercial, using it for business purposes, taking it on a world tour and telling everybody who the cool dude is who played it, meditating by it, singing along to it, or... what did I leave out?... Oh, yes, the kitchen sink! :roll:

None of my clips are copyright or copyrighted arrangements or what not. Public Domain and beyond. Have fun, y'all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Since we've all recorded at different volumes, is there an easy way to get everyone's MP3s to about equal volume before making a CD?

Possibly. What program are you using to burn the CD, and does it have a "normalize" option? (I wish certain people came with a normalize option, but that's another thread.) That would be an easy way. The hard way is to adjust the volume of each individual track yourself before burning.

Shadoes or some other techno-geek here might have a better answer for you.

As far as copying and distributing TPE recordings, my contract will be in the mail to you today.

:laughing:

Actually, I suspect that all who contribute to the Praise Exchange would be happy for their music to be shared with anyone, but it's a good question for the gang. How do you guys feel?

I'm not a professional songwriter or recording artist, so as Kristos says, have fun. I would be miffed if someone took my work and put their name on it, but I'm not going to sue anybody over it. I'm sure I would feel differently if this was my livelihood.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:53 am 

Anything I post here is up for grabs. I can't imagine anyone wanting a copy of it though. Kitty do you have a file size you are shooting for? I believe I can play almost any file type. When I am making CDs for my car I usually use WMA because I can get twice the tunes on a CD. My car CD player will play MP3s or WMA as well as regular CDs. I can make one CD that will play for several days without repeating. I often have a tune in several formats on the harddrive.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Admin

RonKiley wrote:
Kitty do you have a file size you are shooting for?

No, I don't have an ideal file size, I just try to keep my clips here within reach of those on dial-up. Poor things. :-({|=

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Legally you should be fine as long as NO profit is made.

Personally if someone wants to hear it...go for it. But then I am still always suprised when someone likes my music.

As for burning mp3s I normally just leave my encoder set to default which is cd quality. Will check the exact settings if and when I ever actually get my system back(sigh)

As for normalizing across multiple tracks to equal out the volume of songs recorded using different programs... hmmm will have to look into that one. Guess one could always load the mp3 into your own prefered program and normalize the volume that way before buring but you risk some signal loss do to multiple compression on the rewrite to mp3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
As far as copying and distributing TPE recordings, my contract will be in the mail to you today. :laughing:

Let me guess ... all payments to be rendered in chocolate? :mrgreen:

KittyR wrote:
Possibly. What program are you using to burn the CD, and does it have a "normalize" option? (I wish certain people came with a normalize option, but that's another thread.) That would be an easy way. The hard way is to adjust the volume of each individual track yourself before burning.

I'm using HP's Record Now by Sonic; but only because my WMP is sulking and has decided not to burn CDs for some persnickety reason. It says there is a normalize function -- haven't found exactly where it's hidden yet. But, now I know to look for it.

KittyR wrote:
(I wish certain people came with a normalize option, but that's another thread.)

Oh yeah ... that would warrant it's own thread .... :laughing:

shadoes wrote:
Guess one could always load the mp3 into your own prefered program and normalize the volume that way before buring but you risk some signal loss do to multiple compression on the rewrite to mp3.

Most of the files need amplified instead of compressed, or so it seems to me. I've used Audacity's "Amplify" or "Normalize" so far on the ones I have changed. The one I wanted quieter, I think I used a minus db in "amplify". Does that sound right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

The mp3 conversion process is the compression. not the amplification. So if you take an mp3 load it into your recording program..add some effects like equalization then output the result to the mp3 file you have in effect compresses it twice and will at some point start to see some loss in quality. but if all you are doing is boosting the gain or running anormalizer it shouldn't be noticeable. Depends a lot on the quality of the original mp3 track in the first place too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:21 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
Anything I post here is up for grabs.

Likewise. :mrgreen:

Also, I may start saving in both 128k CBR and VBR format, then posting whichever is the smallest.

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit