Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Totally off-topic - pet project
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

My daughter has a bearded dragon named Dot. She was tiny when we first got her but - as all things do - she's getting bigger. So we decided to build her a permanent habitat.

Here are some pics!

First, I picked up a dresser at the DAV Thrift Store for $20. We figured this would be a lot easier than trying to build something ourselves since we're not great carpenters.

I threw away all the drawers and took off the framework. Jeannie painted it (not quite finished with that) and by then it was too cold to work outside so I brought it in to wire up the heat and UV fixtures.

I bought a regular 36" fluorescent fixture from the hardware store, and ordered a reptile UVB tube online. I found the heat bulb fixture at the thrift store for 99 cents. I wired up both to regular household extension cords that I clipped the ends off of. Ran them out the top back corner and plugged them into a controller I picked up for $5.00 at the thrift store. You can see it underneath the dresser here.

It's 6 feet long!

I found 2 adjustable plastic vents on the bargain shelf at Ace Hardware and put 1 in each end.

Here you see Jeannie sticking down the floor. These are vinyl (I think) tiles from Home Depot. 99 cents each.
Image[/b]

Construction Party:

I used the box to visualize where the Sand Box and steps would go:

We used pre-mixed white sanded tile grout and adhesive, into which we squirted children's paint.

Base coat color applied to styrofoam shapes:

The steps with color layers applied:

Here's the free-standing platform. Hard to tell in this photo but I took a mailing box and glued stick "columns" and some styrofoam shapes to it.

"Hey, what are you guys doing?!" We had to keep her off the floor because we were afraid she'd try to eat the styrofoam scraps.

Old habitat on top of new habitat. You can see the platform I was holding up in the other photo, now almost done.

Ok, well then we got involved in sculpting the walls and forgot to take any pictures.

We glued styrofoam scraps onto panels of the stuff and covered it all with the grout/color. We attached theses panels to the dresser with heavy-duty velcro. I wanted everything to be removeable for cleaning or modifications.

Jeannie is attaching bits of plastic plants here and there.

Dot LOVES digging in her sand box. The temp here hangs out between 95 and 105 F, depending on how the vents are adjusted and the overall room temp.

The shelf sections are all glued together and attached to the panels. We squirted glue on long deck screws and ran them in through the back, and made big "washers" out of cardboard squares so the screws wouldn't pull through. The big shelf also has bottom supports which you can just see in this photo.

"My new favorite hangout."

The paper on the floor there is because she seemed a little freaked out when we first put her in, so we put the paper down because that's what was on the floor in her old habitat. She slept there on that sheet the first night, but now is comfortable sleeping on the stick. That's her new favorite nap place.

I made tracks for the sliding plexiglas out of balsa wood and glued them into place. I broke one of the sheets while trying to drill a finger-hole. #-o But it still works.

I have hung her hammock in the corner above the stick since taking this photo, and she seems to like that too.

Still to do:
  • Add 1 or 2 more climbing logs.
  • Even out the edges of pieces and close up holes so the crickets can't hide.
  • Hang a piece of black material in front of the UVB light so we don't have to look at it.
  • Still trying to decide whether or not to do something with the sand box. I don't know; pink kind of works. :)
  • Finish painting the outside.
  • Replace the broken plexiglas someday.

We had fun!

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hey! This is so cool. How big is that dragon going to get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

They can be anywhere from 16 to 24 inches, head to tail, when full grown.

They're fairly placid and friendly creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:52 am 

KittyR wrote:
They can be anywhere from 16 to 24 inches, head to tail, when full grown.

They're fairly placid and friendly creatures.

Looks like you all had alot of fun building this home for this wonderful creature... ;) Have a blessed day:)

May the road rise to meet you... may the wind be always at your back... May the sun shine warm upon your face... May the rain fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may the LORD hold you in the palm of His hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 am 

Wow, good job, Kitty! That looks very professionally done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:25 pm 

Wow ... what a cool project ... and seems you got the "other" kids involved as well! :D