Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Fire!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:12 am 

There have been lots of reports of fires in Greece because of the hot, dry summer, but there has just been one outside our block of flats. We live on the fourth floor (fifth to Americans) and about an hour ago I suddenly saw lots of thick dark smoke. I thought someone was having a barbecue! Then I looked from the balcony and saw that there was a serious fire on some wasteland the other side of the railway lines. I phoned Adrian and he told me I was safe and to take some photos. I took lots of photos but can't upload them.

Someone had phoned the fire brigade but a volunteer took a powder fire extinguisher and sprayed it on some of the flames causing them to flare up. Once the firemen came they hosed the flames with water and this dealt quite quickly with the problem, but then there were flames in another area and they had to move the fire engine to deal with those. There are a couple of factory buildings on the far side of the wasteland and the facing wall of one of those was badly scorched. Praise God that there appears to have been no serious damaage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:15 am 

Three fire engines came in the end and they are still hosing the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:21 am 

Wow! I'll be praying God keeps you and your friends safe.

Post subject: Re: Fire!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Susan wrote:
I phoned Adrian and he told me I was safe and to take some photos.

LOL! Remind me never to call Adrian during a disaster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:18 am 

But Adrian was right Kitty, I was safe. I was very impressed with the firemen as they stayed for a long time to make sure everything was safe before they left. They hosed down machinery at the factory and the buildings. Thank you for your prayers.

Post subject: Re: Fire!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:22 am 

KittyR wrote:
Susan wrote:
I phoned Adrian and he told me I was safe and to take some photos.

LOL! Remind me never to call Adrian during a disaster!

Adrian had his priorities right .. he assured Susan that she was safe and then ... and only then ... told her to take pictures. Makes perfect sense to me. :D

Glad you are ok Susan .... and glad you are posting more ..... enjoy seeing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Glad that you are safe, Susan!

Don't think I could have stood calmly by and snapped pictures .... fire is a major fear of mine. Our home was totally destroyed by fire in 1972 -- then my granddad was killed in a house fire in 1983. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry fires have had such a bad impact on your life, Judy. :(

Susan, I'm glad you're safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, if I remember correctly, Kathy lost a house in a fire as well. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:09 pm 

Susan, I'm so glad that you are safe. It's a scary thing to go through. I will pray for you to have rain in Greece at the same time that I am praying that we get rain here soon too. We haven't had any fires here because of the drought, but the pastures aren't growing for us and we are soon going to have to figure out how else to feed the cows.

We did lose our house to a fire in 1991. Mercifully nobody was killed or injured but we could have easily lost our 2 kids who were asleep when it started while Lon and I were in the barn milking. It was a very scary thing that will always be a stress maker in my life. I get nervous when I see smoke somewhere now.

Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 am 

Kathy and Judy, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It must have been horrendous. Here everything is back to normal, with just the scorched earth left as evidence of what happened. Adrian knew exactly where the fire was when I called him and that's why he knew I was safe.

Thank you for your prayers for rain. The villagers are worried about their crops because there has been so little rain. Please do keep your prayers specific though because we DON'T want more rain in the UK. Many people have had their homes flooded over the past few days and are without drinking water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Admin

a couple years before we got married my wife's apartment burned down. THis is when I discovered she can be a master of understatement. She was working nights so thankfully wasn't home when it happened. Fire was started by the kids next door. It was an accident but still. Anyway she calls me early in the morning tells there is has been a fire and her apartment has some water damage. When I get over there the roof.... is IN THE FLOOR!!! Her apartment is almost completely destroyed. I was like 'sweetie.. when your roof is on the floor.. this is more than a little water damage...' That has to have been biggest mess I have ever seen. hehe that day cost me a surgery to as in the process of cleaning up I tore the cartiledge in my knee when it got caught in some of the roof while trying to move stuff out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 am 

Shadoes

I'm glad your wife wasn't hurt. It must have been traumatic, although she obviously coped very well. Sorry to hear about your injury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Susan: Yes, I heard about the flooding in the UK. It's terrible, from the reports, and could get worse.

Shadoes: Torn cartilage HURTS!! How'd the surgery turn out? I'm carrying on a fight with my Dr. regarding ankle surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:39 am 
Site Admin

That particular one went pretty well. heh that incident was actually the start of a series of surgeries over the next several years that finally broke earlier this year with my hernia operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:46 pm 

Susan I am glad you weren't injured or suffered any loss. Fire is a terrible thing. One of my friends went out to burn some brush on his property, a rather common thing to do. Somehow he was trapped and died in the fire. I saw him on Friday and got the news of his death on Monday.
As for the flooding in the UK it looks very bad but I am also seeing scenes just as bad in Texas. Ididn't see Jim post today. I hope all is OK. He is probably fine and is out helping those who aren't.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:33 pm 

Hey Ron .... yep am ok here ... we were drying out but noticed that a large cell is to the North and West of moving SSE. Guess we will have to wait and see what it decides to do. Thanks for thinking of me ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

RonKiley wrote:
Susan I am glad you weren't injured or suffered any loss. Fire is a terrible thing. One of my friends went out to burn some brush on his property, a rather common thing to do. Somehow he was trapped and died in the fire. I saw him on Friday and got the news of his death on Monday.

Ron, I'm really sorry about your friend. Was that this PAST weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that's what I was wondering....... I thought oh my goodness, did this just happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:00 am 

I'm late to this as I have been too busy to get to an internet cafe till now.

If you turn on the TV here you will think that the whole country is on fire. There have been 5000 fires in the last two months and some of those have been huge forest fires. The whole country is affected by the smoke.

A number have been killed by fire and smoke.

Yesterday a water bomber used to quench fires crashed killing both pilots. Safety is not a high priority here, according to a pilot at our church.

I knew Susan would be safe as there was no scrub closer than 30 yards and no high trees near us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:38 am 

It was last spring when my friend was killed. But every time I see something about fire I think of how quickly things can occur.

Jim knew you would be OK. However I saw the scenes from Hondo and thought of your area. I know Hondo is west of you but it seems that all I see on the weather map is rain in Texas. I think yesterday they said that Dallas was 16.75 inches over normal for the month. That is crazy. We can't get enough rain to prime a pump.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Wow ... sorry about your friend, Ron. That's the thing about fire -- it can change directions so quickly.

Fires, rain ... unusual climate conditions. Hmmm ... believe it says something about such things happening in The Book ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 am 

Ron, I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about your friend. There was a horrible accident here a few weeks ago when a couple were driving a car and got surrounded by fire and died. We have to trust in God.

Glad you're okay Jim. The people here say they want rain when I tell them it's raining hard in the UK. I keep trying to explain that they don't want THAT much rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am 

Susan wrote:
Ron, I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about your friend. There was a horrible accident here a few weeks ago when a couple were driving a car and got surrounded by fire and died. We have to trust in God.

Glad you're okay Jim. The people here say they want rain when I tell them it's raining hard in the UK. I keep trying to explain that they don't want THAT much rain.

We are starting to pray .. Lord don't let it rain today. We won't pray "Lord please don't let it rain" .... this time last year we were in the middle of a dry spell and they are no fun either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 am 

The fires continue. Last night we were holding a youth outreach in town while helecopters bombed local fires with water.

Three more died last night as fires destroyed several villages.

I think this has been the worst summer in Europe for a long time as every country seems to be experiencing a disaster of one kind or another.