Post subject: Re: Christmas presents!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:25 am 
Site Admin

A penguin!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:15 am 

Walden wrote:
A penguin!

:roll: No, a keyboard and a huge book of 1,000 folk tunes. Susan's penguin goes everywhere with her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

It's a Yamaha! Nice.

The penguin is nice, too.

Post subject: what
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:28 pm 

Can you tell me the name of the folk tune book?

The keyboard looks nice, but, WHAT IS THAT Whistle? in her mouth? :shock: Geez! I've never seen anything so big! :-k Who makes that?

Lyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

And while you're at it, I'm interested in details on the make and model of your new Yamaha keyboard. :D

Post subject: Re: what
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:56 am 

Lyn D wrote:

The keyboard looks nice, but, WHAT IS THAT Whistle? in her mouth? :shock: Geez! I've never seen anything so big! :-k Who makes that?

Lyn

The tune book is "The Folksong Fake Book". Read more about it HERE

The woodwind instrument is a Mollenhauer Dreamflute. It is based largely on the renaissance recorder and so is more flutelike in tone than the baroque recorder. She has played larger ones.

The Yamaha keyboard must be about their most basic one but we find it to be an excellent entry level instrument. It is a million times easier than a guitar to play and Susan can already play some choruses and hymns convincingly well.

Susan says it is a YPT-200.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:03 am 

Adrian wrote:
Lyn D wrote:

Lyn

Adrian, is it useful for whistles, or do most of the tunes go below D?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:57 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Lyn D wrote:

Lyn

Adrian, is it useful for whistles, or do most of the tunes go below D?

I think the majority are whistle friendly. Any others you can just PM me and I can transpose them for you in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
The Yamaha keyboard must be about their most basic one but we find it to be an excellent entry level instrument. It is a million times easier than a guitar to play and Susan can already play some choruses and hymns convincingly well. Susan says it is a YPT-200.

I got an entry level Yamaha a couple of years ago and was amazed by the integrity of the basic piano sound. The pipe organ is nice, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:42 pm 

Wow, I would be happy with a box full of those books on the shelves! :laughing:

I thought I had a lot of books...

Carolyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Ha! We're all looking at the keyboard... Carolyn's looking at the bookshelves!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:51 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Ha! We're all looking at the keyboard... Carolyn's looking at the bookshelves!

Aaron had his eyes fixed on the penguin!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:17 pm 

I like penguins myself (I run the Linux OS) and I got some cards and small statues for Christmas, but the stuffed "Tux" has my mouth drooling..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:10 pm 

fancypiper wrote:
I like penguins myself (I run the Linux OS) and I got some cards and small statues for Christmas, but the stuffed "Tux" has my mouth drooling..

Yes, Piper, I got the feeling you and Susan shared a common love of penguins from another of your posts. They are amazing birds. I did not know that the penguin was the symbol of Linux though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:11 pm 

Adrian or Susan,

In the "Folksong Fake Book" does it give the music for the entire song? I was going to get one a while back, but I got the impression that, for ex. they told you the chords, but you had to figure out where to play them. Could you show me a page so I can see how it's arranged? Thanks

Lyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:02 pm 

Lyn D wrote:
Adrian or Susan,

In the "Folksong Fake Book" does it give the music for the entire song? I was going to get one a while back, but I got the impression that, for ex. they told you the chords, but you had to figure out where to play them. Could you show me a page so I can see how it's arranged? Thanks

Lyn

A 'fake book' is a collection of 'lead sheets'. A lead sheet consists of the melody line written in conventional music notation plus the chords. You will not have a problem knowing where to play chords with lead sheets and fake books.

'Chord sheets' do not have a written melody and they can be a bit rough and ready. 'Score' used to mean music written in full for a piano (both hands) but these days is sometimes used to refer to just the melody line written in normal music notation.

Here in an example of a lead sheet
http://worshipresources.parachutemusic. ... Sheet2.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 pm 

So, do you LOVE your bass? I played my Dreamflutes for Christmas Eve at my In-Law's church, and played the bass on Silent Night. I couldn't believe the richness and resonance it added as I was playing harmony with the congregation singing. WOW. :sunny2:

I've played the others on a number of gigs since I got them, but that was the first public appearance of the bass. And it certainly won't be the last!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:04 pm 

Cal wrote:
So, do you LOVE your bass? I played my Dreamflutes for Christmas Eve at my In-Law's church, and played the bass on Silent Night. I couldn't believe the richness and resonance it added as I was playing harmony with the congregation singing. WOW. :sunny2:

I've played the others on a number of gigs since I got them, but that was the first public appearance of the bass. And it certainly won't be the last!!! :D

Susan plays her bass about 20 minutes a day. She is still getting used to the finger stretch. She also plays her sopranino and soprano every day but the lion's share of her practice time is on the modern alto which she loves passionately!

I really enjoy the sound of her bass and her Aulos tenor. They both have such a rich, mellow sound.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 am 

OOOOooohhhh..........I love rich and mellow! :love: Which Aulos tenor recorder does Susan have? My Yamaha alto still did not come in yet. I hope it comes today.?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 am 

Yeah! My Yamaha Alto recorder is here! Boy, this is going to take a lot more work than with my soprano recorder, with, not only becoming accustomed to Baroque fingering, but also, the fingering of a new key. :roll: To me, the notes on the soprano are pretty much like on the D whistle. I'm babysitting, so I really can't play it right now. I'll give it a whorl after she leaves at 2:30.

Lyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 am 

Cal, I have to say that I find the bass hard work. It's not an easy instrument for me. I find it hard to play the notes, it takes a lot of breath and it's very heavy. My hands and wrists hurt after playing it for just a short time. Having said that, it's very satisfying when I get good notes out of it. It has a lovely rich tone. I'm glad you are enjoying your Dream flutes so much and that you got to play the bass in public.

I think Adrian made a typo when he said that I play the soprano and sopranino every day. He should have written soprano and tenor. I played the sopranino for the first time in months yesterday and my ears had had enough after a couple of tunes. It's very high.

Lyn, I hope you enjoy your alto. I think that as recorders get bigger they have a richer sound. It's very easy to play the alto, much easier than the soprano, and it's much easier to read music for the F instrument. I'm prejudiced because I began by playing the alto and have since taught myself to play the C fingering, which I still struggle with for the top notes. I also get confused sometimes and start playing the wrong fingering in the middle of a song. That means it's easier to play by heart or by ear when changing instruments. Do let us know how you find the alto when you've had the chance to try it out.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to Adrian to answer the question about which tenor I have. I know it's a 'white spot' and it has one of the best tones I've heard on a tenor. Plastic tenors can be better than wooden ones, not true for the smaller recorders in our experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 pm 

Lyn D wrote:
OOOOooohhhh..........I love rich and mellow! :love: Which Aulos tenor recorder does Susan have? My Yamaha alto still did not come in yet. I hope it comes today.?!

The tenor Susan plays and the one we have found to be the nicest plastic is the Aulos 511w. We have others of course including the Yamaha and this one wins our vote every time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm 

Well, I've played my new Yamaha alto recorder a bit and it is way harder than the soprano recorder. :? I realized I got the wrong recorder. :shock: You know how the low D whistle is the same as the high D, well I wanted the lower recorder that was the same as the soprano recorder. I don't know what I was thinking.....I should have gotten the tenor. :roll: It would have been C, like the soprano, right?

Adrian,

I found the Aulos tenor 511B, but I can't find the 511W. Do you know what the different letters stand for? The 511B has the 2 keys for the C and C#. Do the keys give you an advantage over the tenor with no keys? Does it make the reach easier, or make the sound better? or? You only press the keys if you want to play the C or C#, just as you would cover the holes for those notes, right?

Have either of you played the Aulos tenor without the keys (211B)? How does it compare, in sound, to the keyed one?

I had brought my cheap soprano rec. to choir practice last week, and it was really cold out.
Well, the other day I discovered a line on it and thought it had rubbed on something, causing the line. Well, it's a CRACK, right through all six holes on the front, and today, I discovered a 3" crack on the back! Geez, I'm not doing well in the recorder department.

I had asked about the Purcell recorder, because I won one on eBay and it'll be here this coming Monday. I'm glad I have one coming, I just hope it sounds good. If I decide to get the tenor, I think I'll have to sell the alto to help fund it. I found one at http://www.wwbw.com for
$69.50. Is this a good price?

Sorry, for all the questions. I've never played the recorder before this week or an instrument with keys before. Thanks in advance.

Lyn