Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Re: Christmas presents!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:48 am 

I think the Aulos 511B is the plain brown one and the 511W is the same model but with the beautiful rosewood finish (the one we have).

Yes I have owned a 211B. It is plain brown and made mainly as a budget instrument for younger players with a shorter finger reach. It is much inferior in sound and playability to the 511. The two keys are for C and C# and allow for a greater length to the instrument to give it a richer more mellow sound.

It is very unusual to hear of a split body in a recorder unless a dog has bitten it. The head is usually the part the splits as a result from the hoop stress caused by the over playing and over drying process.

I know nothing about Purcell recorders. Lisa is the main expert on recorders here and perhaps she knows about them. Reputable makes to look for include: Ariel, Aulos, Aura, Carmena, Cook, Coolsma, Cranmore, Dolmetsch, Earlham, Hopf, Kent, Kobliczek, Kung, Moeck, Mollenhauer, Paetzold, Roessler, Takeyama, Yamaha, Zamir, Zamra, Zen-on.

Lyn D wrote:
Well, I've played my new Yamaha alto recorder a bit and it is way harder than the soprano recorder. :? I realized I got the wrong recorder. :shock: You know how the low D whistle is the same as the high D, well I wanted the lower recorder that was the same as the soprano recorder. I don't know what I was thinking.....I should have gotten the tenor. :roll: It would have been C, like the soprano, right?

Adrian,

I found the Aulos tenor 511B, but I can't find the 511W. Do you know what the different letters stand for? The 511B has the 2 keys for the C and C#. Do the keys give you an advantage over the tenor with no keys? Does it make the reach easier, or make the sound better? or? You only press the keys if you want to play the C or C#, just as you would cover the holes for those notes, right?

Have either of you played the Aulos tenor without the keys (211B)? How does it compare, in sound, to the keyed one?

I had brought my cheap soprano rec. to choir practice last week, and it was really cold out.
Well, the other day I discovered a line on it and thought it had rubbed on something, causing the line. Well, it's a CRACK, right through all six holes on the front, and today, I discovered a 3" crack on the back! Geez, I'm not doing well in the recorder department.

I had asked about the Purcell recorder, because I won one on eBay and it'll be here this coming Monday. I'm glad I have one coming, I just hope it sounds good. If I decide to get the tenor, I think I'll have to sell the alto to help fund it. I found one at http://www.wwbw.com for
$69.50. Is this a good price?

Sorry, for all the questions. I've never played the recorder before this week or an instrument with keys before. Thanks in advance.

Lyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:18 am 

Lyn, The tenor recorder is indeed a C instrument, so in the same key as the soprano. However, if you find the alto hard to play, the tenor is much harder. It's bigger and so there is more of a stretch. The bass is much harder still!

The only plastic tenor recorder we can recommend is the Aulos 511. (There may of course be others with a good tone and response but we have not tried them.) We also own a Yamaha tenor without keys (stored in England and bought before the Aulos) and it is MUCH inferior in tone. In fact when I was in England I hardly played it because the tone is so poor and the higher notes do not respond well. We paid over $200 for the Aulos 511, so $69.50 for the same model would be a very good price. I would not recommend the Yamaha tenor and Adrian has played the Aulos keyless tenor and cannot recommend it. I think you would be disappointed with the sound of either of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 pm 

Hi Susan and Adrian,

Thank you for taking the time. On the alto, it's not the physical playing I found hard, I have no trouble with that. It's being in a different key. To me, the soprano recorder is like the D whistle. If I don't count the right pinky hole on the soprano recorder, the notes are in the same place as the D whistle. Or with the right pinky, C, it's just like my Silkstone D+......D whistle with a C natural added below the D.

If I get a tenor recorder, it will be an Aulos 511B - I can't find the 511W. Do the 511B and the 511W both sound the same?

Lyn

Post subject: Re: what
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:12 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Adrian wrote:
The Yamaha keyboard must be about their most basic one but we find it to be an excellent entry level instrument. It is a million times easier than a guitar to play and Susan can already play some choruses and hymns convincingly well. Susan says it is a YPT-200.

I got an entry level Yamaha a couple of years ago and was amazed by the integrity of the basic piano sound. The pipe organ is nice, too.

Yamaha is highly regarded as far as their piano sound goes. I treated myself to their PSR E313 as an early Christmas present and the "Portable Grand" piano sound is outstanding. I've had (over the years) several keyboards - starting with a Farfisa MiniCombo back in '68/'69, a Kurzweil in '98, and a Roland SP 60 (I think it was) up until last June. I'm quite satisfied and impressed with my Yamaha. Susan's present is a smart choice!

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yamaha is my preference as well. I have an s90 and we use an S90ES at church. The samples are easily the best IMO, and the action is outstanding. They play beautifully. I have a KX88 that is an OLD war horse that still plays OK, even after 15 years of use 5-7 nights a week.

Love the Yammies!!!

jrc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am 

Lyn, Adrian says that the 511B and 511W should both sound the same. As regards playing the alto, if you're just playing for your own enjoyment play it as if it's a C instrument. I do that sometimes if the written key takes some of the notes too high. Of course you can't do that if you're trying to play with others.

If you got a gift of money, another nice tenor recorder is the Dream flute. It's wooden. I was able to try one in a shop. The plastic one above is comparable in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:38 pm 

Hi Susan and Adrian,

Just wanted to let you know that my Purcell soprano recorder arrived on Monday. Between babysitting our 4 mo. old granddaughter, and my husband (who is doing real good, but being bad in that he's starting to do too much) being home all the time, I don't get the chance to play as much as I like. Plus, I have to play it in, and I'm having trouble stopping myself. All I have to do is think "CRACK" and I do stop. I don't know what a real good recorder sounds like, but I think this one sounds pretty descent.

Lyn D wrote:
If I get a tenor recorder, it will be an Aulos 511B.

Also, on Monday, I ordered my Aulos tenor 511B (they didn't have a W). The estimated date of arrival is Friday. I may not keep the Yamaha alto, because there are whistles that I wanted in other keys, and I went and bought the recorders. So, instead of getting Susato whistles, I might try (take a deep breath) Gens. in brass. I like clear sound, not breathy. Are the Gens. breathy or airy? I want an Eb and a Bb, and maybe down the road, an E and a B. This way, I'll have all the keys I need, with a D, C, E, and B whistles.

Lyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 am 

Congratulations on getting your new soprano. It must be wooden if you're afraid of it cracking. You shouldn't play a wooden one for more than about 20 minutes per day for the first month and then I think a maximum playing time of an hour or so is recommended. Hard woods will take more playing. I'm glad you like the sound.

Do let us know when you get your tenor. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As for Generation whistles, Adrian says they can be a little breathy. Not so cheap but lower cost than Susatos, are the Syn whistles, which Adrian says have a pure tone. Perhaps Blackhawk might be able to lend you one. I'm not sure which keys they're available in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 am 

I just looked up Syn whistles and I don't understand Adrian saying they were low cost. They were very expensive. Sorry. He did mention buying Generation whistles and then getting Mack mounthpieces.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 am 

Susan,

Thank you. Yes, my new Purcell recorder is wooden, but I don't know what kind.

I was just looking up Syn whistles, also, and wondering the same thing. Adrian? They were cheap when they first came out. It was either $30. or $40. for the fipple and $5. for each body! I've decided what I'm going to do. I have a Susato Kildare s-series C whistle, so I will just get the Eb and Bb bodies when I'm ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 pm 

Lyn D wrote:
Susan,

Thank you. Yes, my new Purcell recorder is wooden, but I don't know what kind.

I was just looking up Syn whistles, also, and wondering the same thing. Adrian? They were cheap when they first came out. It was either $30. or $40. for the fipple and $5. for each body! I've decided what I'm going to do. I have a Susato Kildare s-series C whistle, so I will just get the Eb and Bb bodies when I'm ready.

The Susatos are great IMO. The Bb is super (the B is even nicer). The Eb is not available in the S-series as far as I know but you can get it in the VSB series. I have one and it is my favourite Eb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:47 pm 

Hi Adrian,

It's the E that only comes in the v-series, but the Eb comes in both the v and the s series. Just to be sure, I checked the Susato web site before I replied. :)

Last edited by Lyn D on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:47 am 

Lyn D wrote:
Hi Adrian,

It' the E that only comes in the v-series, but the Eb comes in both the v and the s series. Just to be sure, I checked the Susato web site before I replied. :)

Aha! I think that's a new product then so I'd better order one. Wow, I bet it's LOUD. Thanks for the info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just looked at the Susato site and there are several new models that I don't have yet. Also there are some models I have that they don't seem to sell any more like the S series 'A'