Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Monastery
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 pm 

Yesterday we visited this monastery. It is set on a lake 12 miles from our house and we can see the lake from our balcony.

This is the monastery from the walkway.

From the monastery there is another walkway to a church even further out on the lake. It is very peaceful there.

Post subject: Re: Monastery
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:41 pm 

Very nice, Adrian. I love your photography. You need to put a book together of all your pictures and market it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm 

like the calmness .... is it on an island or is it connected to land on the other side? Looks to be the front and back view of the island or am I wrong and the light had changed? Is this a Greek Orth... Monastery?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

These are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! Exceptional even by the standards of what we've come to expect from you, Adrian. IMO, the walkway adds a great deal to the photographability (is that even a word?) of this monastery. Great, great pictures.

If you ever published a coffee table book, I would most certainly want to have a copy. Might even get a coffee table to put it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:43 am 

book me in for a copy as well..your photos are really great.............if you do publish though you could include just ONE photo of Jims...as he tells me you are his mentor and tutor.on second thoughts you had better not.the old geezer would expect free copies for him,his family and friends if you did. :laughing:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:50 am 

Revles wrote:
book me in for a copy as well..your photos are really great.............if you do publish though you could include just ONE photo of Jims...as he tells me you are his mentor and tutor.on second thoughts you had better not.the old geezer would expect free copies for him,his family and friends if you did. :laughing:

Ah Les ... you started out so well on this one ..... :roll: ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Great pictures Adrian, as usual. You're a very talented guy, in a lot of ways. Thanks for sharing with us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 am 

You guys are very kind and great encouragers! Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:11 am 

Nice pics, Adrian. I like the skies. I'm a sky-gal. :D

Lyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Ah ... a new desktop background for me! Love the colors in these, Adrian. :sunny2:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:11 am 

Where are the monks? Wouldn't they give you persmission to snap them?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:05 am 

fancypiper wrote:
Where are the monks? Wouldn't they give you persmission to snap them?

We did see one monk but he just glowered at us. You have to understand that Greek Orthodox priests and monks can be quite hostile to non-Orthodox people. To them we are unsaved, hated by God, cursed and contaminate them if they have anything to do with us. Not all Orthodox in the world are like this but in Greece it often is their attitude. I have only met two Orthodox monks who have been friendly to us in the last seven years and even one of those told us, when he discovered that we went to protestant churches, that we were heretics who believed nothing and who would go to hell.

The strategy to convert non-Orthodox here is to make their lives a misery so that they will convert to avoid the stigma of being treated as a heretic and an outcast. It works and many immigrants convert as a result and even I feel tempted sometimes. In the US I expect Protestants use the opposite strategy of being nice, kind and accepting so that non believers feel welcomed. Both strategies bear results.

Anyway, that explains why we did not ask monks if we could take photographs of them.

I'm not finger pointing as Protestants here are just as bad. There are only a few thousand Protestants here but most of them regard the Orthodox as unsaved heretics as well. ](*,)

Greeks have to learn that there will be neither Orthodox or Protestants in heaven. Neither camp has a monopoly on the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am 

In the US ..... there is no stigma at being unsaved .. or unchurched ... or anything because they outnumber the saved ..big time. Of course .... we do have our vocal ones ... but not many of the lost will listen .... to busy doing their own thing ...

those that are in a mainline denomination often spend most of their time fighting each other over something or other ... seems to be the national past time....

Having said that .. I know that there are churches who are doing the work ... and meeting the needs .. and they represent many different denominations. There is a remnant still and hopefully it is growing.

We also have Budist temples going up as well as mosques ... so I guess if you add in the satan worship and New Age ... you have a fairly good idea of the situation.