Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Lake
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm 

This is a lake opposite to the one on the monastery photos. For some reason we have not been here before even though it is so close to home. We will visit more often now and take more pictures. This was taken with Susan's camera.

Post subject: Re: Lake
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:00 pm 

Actually we did not intend to stop there for a quick picture but we passed this spot on the way to a village where they practice an ancient festival.

In some villages on the 8th January there is a completer role reversal. All the men have to stay at home and do work that the women normally do e.g. washing, ironing, cleaning, looking after the children. The women take over the cafes that are usually men only domains. In the evening the women meet in the town halls to dance, play music and have fun. Even at the police stations the women police take over.

Any man caught on the street can be beaten with brooms and have water or flour thrown at them.

We'll get some pictures next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm 

Did you get wet taking the picture?

Think that is the best I have seen you put up IMHO .. everything ... was working for you that day. =D> =D> =D> :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

BEAU-tiful!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 pm 

Very nice, Adrian!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 pm 

I love this shot, Adrian. Did you lay on the ground to take it?

Lyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:18 am 

Thanks for you kind words. I did stand on stones in the water but I did not lie down as I used a camera with a flip out screen which is great for low level shots as well as hold-over-your-head ones. If I was rich i would buy Connie one of these as i am a great fan of her fotos and she likes low-level water shots as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 am 

Adrian,

I have the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-F707 (Digital Still Camera). It has that feature also, but instead of the LCD screen flipping out, you just rotate the body. It's a great feature! Sony doesn't even make this model anymore. We got this camera last March, pre-owned. It also has MPEGMOVIE EX, so you can do video, but I haven't used this feature yet. It has 10X Digital Zoom; a timer; Macro; you can do night shots; it can be fully automatic or fully manual. The pop-up flash sits on the lens, so the lens is a tiny bit bigger than the camera itself. The only drawback is that it's a little on the large side. You can't just stick this one in your pocket, but I love it!

Lyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:14 pm 

lovely shot.clever stuff Adrian as you have got real depth and perspective here.love it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 pm 

Revles wrote:
lovely shot.clever stuff Adrian as you have got real depth and perspective here.love it

Thanks Les. Sorry to hear your camera was nicked. Will you get another one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:57 pm 

Lyn D wrote:
Adrian,

I have the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-F707 (Digital Still Camera). It has that feature also, but instead of the LCD screen flipping out, you just rotate the body. It's a great feature! Sony doesn't even make this model anymore. We got this camera last March, pre-owned. It also has MPEGMOVIE EX, so you can do video, but I haven't used this feature yet. It has 10X Digital Zoom; a timer; Macro; you can do night shots; it can be fully automatic or fully manual. The pop-up flash sits on the lens, so the lens is a tiny bit bigger than the camera itself. The only drawback is that it's a little on the large side. You can't just stick this one in your pocket, but I love it!

Lyn

Sounds terrific. I have not played with a Sony Cybershot but from what I have seen of pictures of them they are wonderful cameras.

Flip out screens are great. Good child, animal and plant portraits all need to be taken from a low eye-level perspective and flip out screens are a great way of doing this. Photos taken from a very low perspective are often very dramatic and again flip-out screens mean you don't have to lie on the floor or take endless random shots. Also at a concert often the best shots are taken backwards capturing people's expressions and once again flip-out screens are the best way of composing the shot. I think I will always have at least one camera with a flip out screen.

I hope you carry your camera everywhere and try to take at least one good shot every day. :thumbsup: