Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: EARS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 pm 

My ears hurt!! I think this is the first time that has happened in many years of playing. I have just spent an hour practising the latest tune on whistlethis.com "The ships are sailing". Part B is the most difficult bit and so I focused on that and it is mostly at the top of the second octave. Now my ears are ringing.

BE CAREFUL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Yow! Yup, be careful. It'll probably go away, but you don't want permanent tinnitis.

After years of headphones I have low-level permanent tinnitis. I'm not a picky person, so it's not enough to bother me, but it's a reminder NOT to make it worse.

Adrian, do you have access to noise-muting earplugs over there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:52 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Yow! Yup, be careful. It'll probably go away, but you don't want permanent tinnitis.

After years of headphones I have low-level permanent tinnitis. I'm not a picky person, so it's not enough to bother me, but it's a reminder NOT to make it worse.

Adrian, do you have access to noise-muting earplugs over there?

A doctor told me that if your ears ever hurt from noise then always some of the damage will be permanent at the frequency of the offending noise even if most of the hearing returns to normal. Not a nice thought.

I have foam earplugs but they make the sound so muffled that I don't like wearing them. Maybe I'll stop practising high pitched reels.

I was using a C Burke in the hope I would not have a problem.

Would one of Mack's super-quiet whistles help?

I'm not very keen on muting whistles because of the loss of the tone quality, but maybe I need to rethink this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

One of Mack's whistles would probably work.

My Burke has a pretty strident tone. Even though it's narrow bore, I still wouldn't spend lots of time in the upper register with that one.

Clark originals are pretty quiet, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:16 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
One of Mack's whistles would probably work.

My Burke has a pretty strident tone. Even though it's narrow bore, I still wouldn't spend lots of time in the upper register with that one.

Clark originals are pretty quiet, too.

Thanks

I don't really like playing Clarks now even the thumb tweaked ones, though they are delightful to listen to. I had a phase when I enjoyed them back in the '70s when there wasn't much else around.

Probably I'll invest in one of Mack's sub-sonic whistles next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

I was thinking about getting some of these:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html

They're a bit pricey, but they supposedly lower the volume without distorting the sound.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:58 pm 

This might be just what I need! Thanks kitty.

My ears still hurt. Big mistake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:46 pm 

Hey Guys, listen to someone whose been tampering with this for many months!

You may remember that I had trouble with this quite a while ago.

Here is what I have found:
I was probably having trouble with the decibels ever since I started playing whistles, but didn't know enough about the sound to discern it.
The tinniness of certain notes finally woke me up, after I tried to master a song with high As and Bs on a D whistle, and kept hitting the same phrase again and again. MISTAKE!!

I also found that when I used earplugs, I sometimes played LOUDER to make up for them--too loud! You still have to watch your volume.

Also I found that for me, playing too LONG at one sitting can damage my ears even with earplugs! You have to know when to give your ears a rest.

Don't bother trying to buy quiet whistles. They ALL go too loud in the upper range. (The Hoover is a possible exception--but then you're stuck with just that whistle!)

The earplug one of you suggested, the ER-20 Hi-Fi Earplugs from the Ear Plug Store, under musicians earplugs, are the BEST! You hear all the frequencies, they protect your eardrums, and you can put them all the way in or partially in, depending on where your hearing is.

Other excellent ones are the Hoch's Noise Brakers, on the same site, but you have to be careful to get them all the way in, and if they kink going into your ear canal they aren't doing the job. Get them straight in.

Your ears are precious...protect them! Once you get used to wearing earplugs they don't bother you at all--you listen THROUGH the earplugs! They're well worth it, and much cheaper than spending money looking for "quiet" whistles.

Then, when you need to play wihout plugs once in a while, like in St Anne's Cathedral for instance, it's not a problem!

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:48 pm 

Those plugs do work - have had a pair for many years now, but use custom-molded ones with sound attenuation filters made by the same company - http://www.etymotic.com/default.aspx

While they do evenly attenuate the sound over the audible spectrum, there is a difference in how you hear the sound. Well worth it, though, to save your hearing. I also have some tinnitus, although it's tolerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Those plugs look like a good idea. Jim, do they mold to your ear? I have these small ears. Earbuds like the iPod sells just pop out. I'm afraid those might pop out as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:49 am 

Connie,

The plugs which sell for ~$10.00 have ridges on them which tend to hold them in place. The ones I'm using now have the plug parts made from molds which were taken in much the same way a mold would be made for hearing aids by an audiologist; they are then sent out to a laboratory to have the plugs made. The sound attenuation part fits into a small hole in the plug. This variety is much more expensive - I would guess more than $100 per pair - but still a lot cheaper than hearing aids!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 am 

Susan is going to try to find some in the UK before coming back to Greece on Thursday.

I played my softest whistle for 10 mins today but a ringing noise started in my ears so I stopped. I think I'd better lay off whistles for a while at least till I get some ear plugs.

I never thought it could happen to me!!!!

BE WARNED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:09 am 

For the last few years, I simply don't play without earplugs. At all. Ever.

OK, well, if it's my Syn C, and the tune is all below the second octave xxxxoo. Other than that, I wear the industrial strength yellow ones, made for use around heavy machinery. I've gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me at all, although it did take some getting used to. It was either get used to it, or give up playing. I tried many, many times to play without earplugs, but it was definitely damaging my hearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:38 am 

There are other conditions that can cause noise in the ear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:54 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
For the last few years, I simply don't play without earplugs. At all. Ever.

Why didn't you tell me? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:59 pm 

ER-20 is what I use and they work. I'm tempted to purchase a set of sound reduction heaphones made by the firearms industry. They automatically stop anything above 85 decibels, but leave less amplitude alone. So you could still hear a whisper, but the loud noises are cut down to 85 decibels. You can spend lots of cash on these. Up to $300 for a set of "Wolf Ears". Caldwell makes a set for about $40 that several people in the law enforcement profession that I know use. They work very well. I'll do a review on them using whistle if I decide to splurge.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:03 pm 

KittyR wrote:
I was thinking about getting some of these:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html

They're a bit pricey, but they supposedly lower the volume without distorting the sound.

Kitty

they work like a charm, I don't leave home without them
and hey $11 is not pricey when it comes to protecting your ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:55 am 

Adrian, there have been items on earplugs here before. I can't speak for Blackhawk, but we probably don't talk more about them because most people wouldn't consider them until they actually feel they've hurt their ears. I wouldn't have. Play MUSIC...with EARPLUGS that stop SOUND? Ridiculous!
But not so ridiculous when your favorite whistle starts sounding like a wasp in a tin can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 pm 

kelly wrote:
Adrian, there have been items on earplugs here before. I can't speak for Blackhawk, but we probably don't talk more about them because most people wouldn't consider them until they actually feel they've hurt their ears. I wouldn't have. Play MUSIC...with EARPLUGS that stop SOUND? Ridiculous!
But not so ridiculous when your favorite whistle starts sounding like a wasp in a tin can!

:lol: :lol:

Three days later and my ears are still not right. I found some ear plugs but I need to send off for the ones Kitty recomended.

It's frightening how easily damaged the ears are. I think it was because I played high for so long (about an hour that day). Normally if i'm playing jazz on my whistle I will play up to third octave A, which is the highest any of my whistles can be persuaded to go, but I don't stay that high for more than a few notes hence no noticible damage untlil this week. I will always carry ear plugs with me now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 am 

Adrian, the earplugs Kitty recommended are excellent. I use others, but always come back to these after a short time.
And, sad to say, you might as well relax, because it takes ears a LONG time to come back. I damaged my ears with the high A and B on a D whistle, and that was many months ago. But now the high A no longer sounds tinny to me, and I know that in time the high B will follow. I am not ashamed to pray for healing here. But like drunks praying for their livers, we have to take the steps to take care of what God gave us. I only play without earplugs now when I am asked to play by someone and there's no time to put them in. And then I stay away from high As and Bs anyway, because people don't like them.
I find, also, that playing my Bb Burke is much easier on my ears, even with earplugs, than playing a high D.

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Reviving an old topic. I received a nice gift certificate, and spent it on better headphones than I would normally buy on myself. I got a pair of Phillips noise reducing headphones. They don't completely block noise like the Bose headphones probably do. But I figured noise-blocking headphones are something a mom should probably have from time to time.

Surprise, surprise--they block the worst of high whistling!! They pull out the high frequency part of the sound, and leave what's left at a pretty safe level.

It's a good thing, because I'm working on this high whistle piece for Sunday. I can practice safely all I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:09 am 

Bravo, Connie!
I thought about headphones, but they can tend to press the bows of my glasses into my ears. But then, the earplugs press the inside of my EARS into my ears...
By the way, after many, MANY months, my ears have almost totally RECOVERED from when I abused them trying to learn a tune with sustained high As and Bs. Praise God, I was praying!
This does not mean, however, that I will abandon ear plug/headphones during practice hour. That would be a dumb move. It DOES mean, however, that I can play a tune or two impromptu without screwing the things into my ears! Praise God!
Take heart, Adrian!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:10 am 

...and, thank you ALL so much for all of YOUR prayers!

Love in Jesus,
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Hey, Kelly, I'm GLAD your ears are better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:56 am 

Thanks, Connie. It's such a relief not to "plug in" for a single song. And if others see you, it looks like you can't stand your own music!!