Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Lent and Easter favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:32 pm 

Hi, folks! I'm curious.... Today I was sitting in my office playing my whistle, relaxing a little bit between sermon writing. This is crazy with an added memorial service on Saturday in addition to the usual Holy Week services. I was just flipping through our hymnal and playing hymns I like to hear how they sound. I'm wondering what are some of your favorite Lent and Easter hymns to play on the whistle and in what key instrument do you like them best?

Peace,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 am 

O Sacred Head- C, Bb (actually in E/D Lydian)
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross- D, C (actually in G/F)
The Old Rugged Cross- Bb
In Christ Alone- D (really in D this time... getcher third octave D up to speed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:24 am 

"When I Survey" I have been enjoying both tunes we use in the UK for this hymn: 'Rockingham' (D) and the very whistle friendly 'O Waly Waly' (G).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:19 am 

with the rest of the folk group, i got to play "were you there" and "Lord, let me walk," and "Jesus walked this lonesome valley" on the harmonica. lent is great for harmonicas. o sacred head on a dixon c whistle.

on easter sunday, i don't know the whole line up but i do know we're doing "how great Thou art" i'll use a harmonica on that one. and we're also doing "ode to joy" what instrument i will be playing on that one, i do not know yet. i get carried away on the guitar and have no self control, and i play faster and faster, the whistle sounds nice but doesn't have the BANG behind it that i like, on the harmonica, i can freak out a little bit and not increase the speed of the song. a lot depends on the other folk group members and whose singing voice is with them.

the other musicians in the folk group are a keyboardist who sings harmonies when she can, the new guitar player who has a most excellent voice but sometimes some songs are new to him and then he just plays the guitar, and my wife, she sings nicely but we're all a bit worried, her vocal range is shrinking.

if you all wouldn't mind praying, our folk group would still like a new musician, i'm praying for a cello, and a couple of singers. the last time you prayed for us, we got the new guitar player. he's now praying that his wife will let him buy a bass. i've never played in a folk group with a bass. if he gets his prayer answered, then we'll have to pray for another guitar player again. i really like having choices on what i can play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:19 pm 

mutepointe wrote:
if you all wouldn't mind praying, our folk group would still like a new musician, i'm praying for a cello, and a couple of singers. the last time you prayed for us, we got the new guitar player. he's now praying that his wife will let him buy a bass. i've never played in a folk group with a bass. if he gets his prayer answered, then we'll have to pray for another guitar player again. i really like having choices on what i can play.

I'm on it :D