Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Spyware scanners?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:38 pm 

Okay, so I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with whistleing, but, I'm looking for a gould, user friendly spyware scanner that will do a good job of getting rid of stuff. I've tried Spybot and Spyware Terminator with unsatisfactory results in the user friendly area. I see AVG has something to offer in that area. What do you all use? Is it free? Can you recommend any gould free products? Is AVG a gould option? Thanks a lot, guys! Hopefully I didn't just overwhelm you!

Post subject: Re: Spyware scanners?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:50 pm 

I use SpyBot, AVG, Avast, PopUp Stopper, Comodo Firewall. and Windows Defender. All of these are free and I seldom have any problems. There are new versions of SpyBot and AVG. I had Norton security suite on my Vista Laptop but it slowed the system to almost stop. So I got rid of it and used the others. Comodo does not work on Vista yet but they are working on it.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:50 pm 

Do they all do an equally good job? Would I only need to use one to adequitly protect me? I tried AVG once, but they claimed that after 30 days of use had passed, I'd no longer be able to update it automaticly. Is that true? Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:05 pm 

I use all of them because no one program catches everything. I used a very expensive spyware program, I ran it and it said I was OK. I then ran AVG and it caught 4 items the other program didn't catch. My Avast updates automatically.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:53 pm 

The free AVG anti-spyware program is available at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-fr ... e/us/frt/0

I've been using Spybot, Adaware, and AVG for a while; they all will update on request.

Also use AVG free anti-virus. Haven't noted any difficulties for quite a while. (Switched to this from a commercial version when still running Windows 95 and the commercial program stopped supporting it.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:45 pm 

I already use AVG free antivirus and like it a lot. I have noticed that its scans slow down my computer a lot. I disabled the automatic updates feature and plan to manually scan and update every day to save time. I tried their spyware program and had problems with it. I almost wonder if it might have corrupted AVG antivirus, because I started noticing some things with it. I ended up getting rid of AVG Spyware, and reinstaling the virus program. Do any of you know of a good free program that does a good job all the way around?