Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Sound-proofing tips/suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:18 pm 

I've looked through this section and didn't notice any posts on this subject so thought I'd put it up to you folks. Living in an apartment about the only time I can really "let loose" on a whistle - or any of my instruments for that matter, is when my neighbors are out which isn't too often.
I was wondering if there's any fairly inexpensive way I might be able to sound-proof say my bedroom enough that I wouldn't have to be too concerned with disturbing the neighbors? With all the knowledge on this board I thought someone may have an idea or two.

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Sound-proofing tips/suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:10 pm 

I used a whistle mute before I got my Every Whistle for Christmas. Try a search on this bbs and the Chiff and Fipple forum bbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:22 pm 

Thanks, fancy. I got myself an Every Whistle which I use often, but there are times when I just want to let loose and wail - if you know what I mean. That's why I would like to find some way to sound-proof my room!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Do a search here and on the Chiff board for 'whistle mute'. You'll find some things that may help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 am 

Thanks, Jim, I'll give it a try.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 am 

Soundproofing isn't cheap. Check out Musician's Friend for soundproofing materials.

That is what my son used when building his home studio and I could hear nothing outside when it was cranked up inside.

I could only hear outside noises at one window and it was a strain to hear it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am 

:shock: Thanks for the tip to check out Musicians Friend. Guess I'll just have to make do with my Every Whistle and some "quick-fix" mutes for my other whistles, and play my guitars real quietly!!!

________________________-

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

There are some... ahem.. cheaper alternatives to some of the commercially available products. Now none work as well but they do work. I have a friend who uses big thick moving blankets on the walls of his studio. Even when the drums are banging hard you cannot hear a lot outside of the room. Also you can get eggcrate foam from a lot of sources, pillows, mattress pads, etc that you can put up on the walls to help absorb sound.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Larry, here's some ideas:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... istle+mute

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:39 pm 

shadoes wrote:
There are some... ahem.. cheaper alternatives to some of the commercially available products. Now none work as well but they do work. I have a friend who uses big thick moving blankets on the walls of his studio. Even when the drums are banging hard you cannot hear a lot outside of the room. Also you can get eggcrate foam from a lot of sources, pillows, mattress pads, etc that you can put up on the walls to help absorb sound.

jrc wrote:

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'd forgotten about a couple of those ideas on C&F. And the moving blankets and eggcrate foam never crossed my mind, either... but sound like they'd be a "frugally" good alternative!!!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:18 pm 

Even opening your wardrobe doors and playing into it will absorb a lot of sound (what is wardrobe that in American English someone?). I can let rip with a a sax and the sound is greatly reduced compared to playing in the middle of the room.

It has already been said that blankets on walls and thick carpets also go a long way towards sound proofing your practice room. This does work well as hard surfaces are your big enemy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
(what is wardrobe that in American English someone?)

Oh, I know! I know!

Anyone who's read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (over here) knows that a wardrobe is a free-standing piece of furniture that holds hanging clothing. In the States it's usually a small room built off of each bedroom, and it's called a "closet." It would have to be a closet built on a wall away from the wall that separates you from your neighbor. Even then I don't know if it would work the same. It depends on the quality of the lumber used in construction, I'm guessing. Just guessing.