Praise Whistlers Abroad
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/

Whistle friendly Christian songs
http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=336
Page 3 of 6

Author:  Blackhawk [ Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:08 am ]
Post subject: 

KittyR wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Nuther thing--has anyone seen the movie Trip To Bountiful? The soundtrack has Softly and Tenderly done with recorder, I believe, as well as a touching vocal track by Cynthia Clawson. I highly recommend that movie, if just to hear that song weaving its way through the tale.


Hey Connie,

I thought the movie was interesting, but the soundtrack was spectacular. :)

Cynthia Clawson has been one of my long-time favorites.

Kitty


Looks like I have to buy a new CD. :)

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: songs

Blackhawk wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
I am not going to go back and read all but here are my favorites.

How Great Are You Lord
Sanctuary
Soon and Very Soon
Jesus - What a Beautiful Name
Jesus Name Above All Names
Glorify Thy Name
Oh, How I love Jesus
We Bring The Sacrifice of Praise
I'll Fly Away
Lamb of God
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Only Trust Him
Seek Ye First
I have Decided to Follow Jesus
Holy Ground
Holy Spirit Come
Softly and Tenderlly
Glory to His Name
Lord I'm Coming Home
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Come and See
How Great Are You Lord
More Precious than Silver

These all work and are easy to play ... and then most of the old hymns are as well .... I only know a few from memory but if I have the music ... can usually play the new ones ... sooner or later.

Jim


Man, hard as it may be to believe, I only know 2 out of all of those, except for the ones I mentioned in my first post. I can't believe there are so many I haven't heard of. I think I need to come go to church with you for a few months and learn these!


I've learned a lot since I posted this in March. Now I know six of these. I recently bought Alan Jackson's new Christian CD with a lot of the old ones from my childhood and many of them are whistle friendly. Also I got Randy Travis's CD of old time Christian songs (along with some new ones on it), and Ernie Ford's CDs. So now my reportoire is larger. :)

Author:  shadoes [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:23 am ]
Post subject: 

No one has mentioned

As The Deer


written in D and fits perfectly on the D whistle both low and high.

Author:  khl [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:35 am ]
Post subject: 

There's also this one: http://www.ccel.org/s/southern_harmony/ ... dence.html

You'll have to transpose for D whistle, but it's a nice tune. Play it maybe just a tad more quickly than the midi and it really sings on the whistle.

I first heard this song on this CD where I can play along prefectly with a D whistle (track 11 Confidence): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... oding=UTF8

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:08 am ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
No one has mentioned

As The Deer


written in D and fits perfectly on the D whistle both low and high.


You sent me a nice version of you playing it on whistle, but can you recommend a good representative version of someone singing it, so I can learn it that way? And thanks!

Ooops, never mind. I just saw your PM. :)

Author:  Jim Wright [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:10 am ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
No one has mentioned

As The Deer


written in D and fits perfectly on the D whistle both low and high.


I play it ... but am wondering what you do with the 4 high Ds in a row... down a bit in the song?

Jim

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 am ]
Post subject: 

khl wrote:
There's also this one: http://www.ccel.org/s/southern_harmony/ ... dence.html

You'll have to transpose for D whistle, but it's a nice tune. Play it maybe just a tad more quickly than the midi and it really sings on the whistle.

I first heard this song on this CD where I can play along prefectly with a D whistle (track 11 Confidence): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... oding=UTF8

Thanks, Keith, I'll order that CD today. I love that kind of music anyway, and so much of it is playable on whistle.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Jim Wright wrote:
shadoes wrote:
No one has mentioned

As The Deer


written in D and fits perfectly on the D whistle both low and high.


I play it ... but am wondering what you do with the 4 high Ds in a row... down a bit in the song?

Jim

As with any repeated note, you can either tongue them to articulate the sylables, or in Irish fashion, you can cut between them. Or you can just hold the note as the singers sing through that part.

Author:  preacher [ Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Any song that is basically diatonic will work with up to 1 accidental # or b. (Thnk of accidentals as notes borrowed from keys outside the one you are playing in) This would include most of the contents of any average hymnbook plus many standard praise songs as we have seen.
Minor keys can become a problem due to the variety of scales that are possible but melodic minor or minor based modes like Dorian, Phrygian and Mixolydian which are diatonic in nature work well . In fact much Celtic music is based on these.

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Blackhawk wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
shadoes wrote:
No one has mentioned

As The Deer


written in D and fits perfectly on the D whistle both low and high.


I play it ... but am wondering what you do with the 4 high Ds in a row... down a bit in the song?

Jim

As with any repeated note, you can either tongue them to articulate the sylables, or in Irish fashion, you can cut between them. Or you can just hold the note as the singers sing through that part.


Oh I understand your question now....and on my mp3 track where the words would be 'You Alone are my strength my shield'.. I am tongueing those notes. I tried cuts for each one but it didn't sound as clean as just tongueing them to resound the notes. Is that what you needed to know? hehe I guess since a couple folks have heard that track now I should clean it up and post or just post a link to the work track... here.. this is a track in progress :) http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/asthedeer.mp3

Remember track in progress so the mix is not perfect among other things hehe :)

Author:  Blackhawk [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:21 am ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
As with any repeated note, you can either tongue them to articulate the sylables, or in Irish fashion, you can cut between them. Or you can just hold the note as the singers sing through that part.


Oh I understand your question now....and on my mp3 track where the words would be 'You Alone are my strength my shield'.. I am tongueing those notes. I tried cuts for each one but it didn't sound as clean as just tongueing them to resound the notes. Is that what you needed to know? hehe I guess since a couple folks have heard that track now I should clean it up and post or just post a link to the work track... here.. this is a track in progress :) http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/asthedeer.mp3

Remember track in progress so the mix is not perfect among other things hehe :)


Sometimes I'll tongue one note and cut or tap the next one, then tongue again, just to break up the 3 in a row. Or the other way, cut-tongue-cut, etc. Just don't cut your tongue. :mrgreen:

Author:  Kristos [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cool music, shadoes. I do programming too.

What whistle is that? It's beautiful.

Here's a recording I did with a homemade Low D and my camera: http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd9/211620/As_The_Deer-CopperLowD.mp3

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

the low whistle is my kerry low d and the high whistles are my freeman tweaked brass generation

Author:  Jim Wright [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
the low whistle is my kerry low d and the high whistles are my freeman tweaked brass generation


Ok ... I finally figured out that you are playing "Grandma Got Run Over By A Raindeer" ... :laughing:

Sounds good .. will remember it at Christmas!!!

Author:  Kristos [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Mr. Freeman did a good job. And so did you.

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jim Wright wrote:
shadoes wrote:
the low whistle is my kerry low d and the high whistles are my freeman tweaked brass generation


Ok ... I finally figured out that you are playing "Grandma Got Run Over By A Raindeer" ... :laughing:

Sounds good .. will remember it at Christmas!!!


what in the name of Babe the big blue ox are you talking about?

Author:  shadoes [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kristos wrote:
Mr. Freeman did a good job. And so did you.


He does do an excellent job. I also have a Freeman tweaked Sweettone that is quite nice.

Author:  Jim Wright [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

shadoes wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
shadoes wrote:
the low whistle is my kerry low d and the high whistles are my freeman tweaked brass generation


Ok ... I finally figured out that you are playing "Grandma Got Run Over By A Raindeer" ... :laughing:

Sounds good .. will remember it at Christmas!!!


what in the name of Babe the big blue ox are you talking about?

just kidding a bit ... ... perhaps I had been out in the sun too long! I have to "do serious" all day long ... and now and then ... I rebel! :D

Author:  Fred Bechtoldt [ Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Greetings,
Been following this wonderful thread awhile, its been so helpful.
Ive been on a quest to find music to play at our church and just listened to the sound track to "As a Deer", really well done.
Anyone have the music? :D

Thanks,
Freddo

Author:  shadoes [ Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:27 am ]
Post subject: 

Fred Bechtoldt wrote:
Greetings,
Been following this wonderful thread awhile, its been so helpful.
Ive been on a quest to find music to play at our church and just listened to the sound track to "As a Deer", really well done.
Anyone have the music? :D

Thanks,
Freddo


I beleive my sheet music is in the red cover Maranatha Chorus book. Big spial bound thick book.. they change the cover color with each addition so not sure which one is out now. :) Although is you google As the deer sheet music quite a few links come up.

Author:  kelly [ Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:43 am ]
Post subject: 

I got in on this thread late, but I love it!
When I first got a whistle in D, the pianist in our church was kind enough to copy off quite a few praise choruses in D, including "As the Deer," and others. It was so kind of her.
I practiced many of them, and began listening in church for more choruses that my "whistling instincts" would sound good on a whistle. I think these include songs that jump from low to high notes, and the oldest hymns, which on a whistle sound almost like they are being played in a monastery or Middle Ages fair!
I asked our music people to order me a Maranatha red praise chorus book, so that if I hear a good one, I can get the dots right away.
Also, the Holy Spirit gives me songs. Once I was playing and knew I should try "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty the God of Creation," a song I would have never dreamed of playing. It sounded GREAT!
I have noticed, in the Christian bookstores, that there are now books of hymns with the stories of their authors beside them, including the music for each hymn. These would be the most famous, oldest hymns, which I believe would sound best. The one I have before me now is titled, "Then Sings My Soul; 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns." by Robert J. Morgan.
"Knowing You," the beautiful Promise Keepers song, is GREAT on whistle. Sela has a song out, titled "You Raise Me Up," which got on the Celtic Women soundtrack. It's beautiful on whistle.
I like to play worship music. And you don't have to be an expert on whistle to play it. And you can avoid high A's!
My Syn C sounds really great with worship. I got a compliment playing on it before prayer meeting Wednesday night.

Author:  Adrian [ Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Well I have come VERY late to this thread. Personally I think there are few hymns and worship songs that cannot be arranged to be made 'whistle friendly'. Of course this is assuming that the flutist is open to using a wide variety of styles and not just Irish or British folk.

Like everyone I have lot of whistle favorites but no time now to list them.

Author:  Blackhawk [ Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Adrian wrote:
Well I have come VERY late to this thread. Personally I think there are few hymns and worship songs that cannot be arranged to be made 'whistle friendly'. Of course this is assuming that the flutist is open to using a wide variety of styles and not just Irish or British folk.

Like everyone I have lot of whistle favorites but no time now to list them.


By whistle friendly, I just meant no half holing and only 2 octaves or less.

And WELCOME BACK, ADRIAN! We missed you!

Author:  Blackhawk [ Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

kelly wrote:
I got in on this thread late, but I love it!
When I first got a whistle in D, the pianist in our church was kind enough to copy off quite a few praise choruses in D, including "As the Deer," and others. It was so kind of her.
I practiced many of them, and began listening in church for more choruses that my "whistling instincts" would sound good on a whistle. I think these include songs that jump from low to high notes, and the oldest hymns, which on a whistle sound almost like they are being played in a monastery or Middle Ages fair!

Way cool, Kelly! I wish we lived close enough for me to come hear you play in church.


Quote:
I asked our music people to order me a Maranatha red praise chorus book, so that if I hear a good one, I can get the dots right away.
Also, the Holy Spirit gives me songs.

That's a rare gift, brother.


Quote:
Once I was playing and knew I should try "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty the God of Creation," a song I would have never dreamed of playing. It sounded GREAT!
I have noticed, in the Christian bookstores, that there are now books of hymns with the stories of their authors beside them, including the music for each hymn. These would be the most famous, oldest hymns, which I believe would sound best. The one I have before me now is titled, "Then Sings My Soul; 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns." by Robert J. Morgan.
"Knowing You," the beautiful Promise Keepers song, is GREAT on whistle. Sela has a song out, titled "You Raise Me Up," which got on the Celtic Women soundtrack. It's beautiful on whistle.
I like to play worship music. And you don't have to be an expert on whistle to play it. And you can avoid high A's!
My Syn C sounds really great with worship. I got a compliment playing on it before prayer meeting Wednesday night.

Isn't that rewarding!! It's cool to find folks who have a love for the whistle in worship like we do.

Kelly, which is better, "Then Sings My Soul; 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns." by Robert J. Morgan or the Maranatha red praise chorus book (and is that the title?)

Author:  kelly [ Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Way cool, Kelly! I wish we lived close enough for me to come hear you play in church.

Blackhawk, and everyone, you owe it to yourselves to get into your church when it's empty and play some tunes. Get to know the janitor!! The older the church, the better. Our church sanctuary sounds beautiful with whistle, but I have to bring a quieter whistle, because the sound really bounces around. But the effect is...I want to say, "haunting," but that doesn't quite fit with church!



Kelly, which is better, "Then Sings My Soul; 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns." by Robert J. Morgan or the Maranatha red praise chorus book (and is that the title?)[/quote]

Blackhawk, it depends on whether you prefer praise choruses or hymns. If you're like me (and I suspect you are) you like praise choruses and hymns of praise. The only hymns I don't enjoy are hymns that teach instead of praise. I personally don't prefer them. So, if you like hymns better, the "Then Sings My Soul" book is the one for you. If you prefer choruses, get the red Maranatha book. If you're like me you'll have to buy both!!

Page 3 of 6 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/