Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: WAV or MP3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:48 am 

I've just got Audacity and found it really easy to use, thank goodness as I'm really techno challenged. Only problem is the converting from WAV to MP3. We have a MAC and don't seem to able to use LAME. Does anyone have any ideas that could help? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:09 am 
Site Admin

I purchased a version of this:

http://www.download.com/Cakewalk-Pyro/3000-2646_4-10230318.html

It works very simply - the 'Plus" version was about 40.00 US and has some more stuff.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Allyson, the Audacity FAQ has a set of instructions for downloading and using the LAME MP3 encoder with the MAC OS 9 or X. Don't know whether this will help or not ... hope so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Also, Zoukie seems to have discovered in this post that Wavosaur (another free program!) does not require an MP3 plug-in. I'm not sure if the program runs on Mac or not.

Kitty

Post subject: Re: WAV or MP3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 am 

Man, oh, man. I should have just started a new topic, I suppose. It would have been titled "tired of technology"! So, it was Larry, I think, that suggested I put a song on here so you can here me play ](*,) After many days and hours, I am a little bit closer. I downloaded Wavosaur. Then tried the LAME encoder, then ended up getting into all sorts of other computer messes and finally am trying to the LAME front end. Wavosaur still won't seem to export MP3. ANyway, but that is just the beginning! My husband has a nice, high quality microphone, but we seem to have lost the cord that goes into the amp. So that will be an order online, since we can't buy that in Nome. EEK! Making me crazy! So when I finally get a song on here, even if it isn't any good, you'll have to applaud me for even getting it to you! I always thought i was fairly computer savvy. but all this DLL stuff, encoder stuff, etc, makes me want to run away!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:57 am 
Site Admin

I've found that if something says .dll, the best thing to do is to back out quickly. If it looks suspicious, google it.

I don't know about Mac, but recent versions of Windows will find the decoders you need if you're online.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
My husband has a nice, high quality microphone, but we seem to have lost the cord that goes into the amp

I'm confused ... amp? Don't run anything 'powered' (output from a power amp) into your computer. It'll fry your soundboard, at the very least. The mic should go into your sound card. Maybe through some interface, but not amplified. How are you routing the mic into your computer? What kind of mic are your using?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 pm 

Well, he has a Cardiod Neodymium Dynamic Mic? It is made by Audio-Technica. I have no idea, but he says it is a really good recording mic. He was planning to plug the microphone into his amplifier, and then into my computer from that. Sounds like that is a bad idea? So should we just buy a USB to microphone cord? Hmmm. Glad we didn't have the cord now, we might have made some trouble. Well, I made a recording anyway just using the computer mic. It had tons of fuzz, but it was okay to get an idea how to edit, etc. I'll probably wait to post a song until we figure out this other mic. I can't afford the sound box thing- $150.00 is a little pricey right now, maybe later. ANyway, thanks for the advice. Let me know about the amp/microphone thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Can't really say from what you've told me ... if he'd planned to run the AT into an amp and then into the computer, he'd need a preamp out. But then he'd also need a USB port or some sort of analog/digital converter in the amp, and I don't know of any such animal. BUT, that also doesn't mean they don't exist. I just can't say with the limited info we have here.

My first choice would be even a cheap USB mic, but honestly some of the interfaces are way less that 150.00 and given you've already born the expense of a good mic I think I'd look for a reasonable audio interface for the AT mic. I'll look around and see if I can find anything applicable. If I do I'll put up a link for you. Just be careful with the amp to computer connection; there's potential for damage there. You husband may well be totally aware of what he's doing. I just don't want you to burn up something for lack of discussion about it.

blessings - jrc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Megan it's looking like the most cost effective option is a cheap USB mic. There's some nice recordings here done with a very minimum of equipment. A useable interface is going to run about 100-150 dollars. BUT... depending on what type of inputs are available on your soundcard, there are some cheap mixers that allow you to go from XLR - the 3 pin connector - to RCA plugs.

XLR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xlr-connectors.jpg
RCA: http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shoppe ... add=action

Given you can make the connections, something like this would work:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXENTX502

Hope this helps -

jrc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Wait a minute, hold the phone...

First I'd try just adapting that puppy to 1/8" and plugging it right into the computer sound card. It's only a few bucks for adapters and hey, it might work. If you have a so-so sound card, you probably won't be completely satisfied but give it a try.

I have a Shure Beta and I run it right into my computer via a series of adapters. The end result is fine with me.

Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Wait a minute, hold the phone...

First I'd try just adapting that puppy to 1/8" and plugging it right into the computer sound card. It's only a few bucks for adapters and hey, it might work. If you have a so-so sound card, you probably won't be completely satisfied but give it a try.

I have a Shure Beta and I run it right into my computer via a series of adapters. The end result is fine with me.

Kitty

I'm not a fan of frankensteining adapters like that but hey, if it works on a Beta it shoudl work on a regular AT as well, no? So Megan - how far are you from a Radio Shack :mrgreen: ?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Here's another option:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... G&ZYXSEM=0

If you have two inputs on your sound card you could Y it into both jacks, or just use it like it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Just be sure you end up with the right connector on the other end. Mine is a 1/8" phone jack , not RCA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 pm 

Well, gosh, thanks for all the help and replies! We ended up doing something completely different and FREE!! Dave had a SONY Mini-Disk player. We put a cheapy microphone into that and I recorded directly into the Mini-Disk Player, then ran that as a Line In and recorded it on Wavosaur. It sounds pretty good with no feedback or computer noise! I'll probably just use that method until I need to get more technical. I'll try to post some songs and you can let me know how they sound! Thanks everyone!

Megan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 am 

Allyson,

Did you get your LAME problem sorted out?

Shalom,
Ian :mrgreen: