Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Asking for some sound help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 pm 

Hi everybody,
I am playing in a church situation using that uses a soundboard and personal monitor for each musician, singer. When I play the high whistles I don't have much of a problem with sound according to my hubby who hears it from the floor but I just got some low whistles from Ethnic Wind so am experiencing some difficulties with volume. I love the tone of the Ethnic Wind whistles but having played low Susatos before am just not being able to reach the volume I want. I am playing sitting down with a boom mic stand using an older mic. My channel on the board is up as high as it will go so I can't get help there. I wanted to get away from the keyed Susatos because the keys interfere with expressive playing to some degree and I find there sound a little harsh. So...do you think a new mic (can't be really expensive) or something else would help in this situation? I position my whistle fipple directly into the mic and when I grab a high whistle I just try to pull back from it some as to not overwhelm the song. I get no help from the sound person
as they don't even understand what there job is supposed to be or what effect we are trying to achieve but bless their hearts anyway. Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.
Rosemary

Post subject: Re: Asking for some sound help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe. Can you tell us the model of the mic they have on you now?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Get Kitty to come give your sound team a seminar. We did that and have been getting better mixes ever since.

I'm serious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:22 pm 

Thanks for the replies,

Kitty I am not sure what kind of mic it is but it is just old. Do you think a new one would help even a little?

I think it would be great for Kitty to come but my church would never pay for it! We are small with a tight budget but awhile back my pastor did put in personal monitors. Those are very nice.
Our sound people though are pretty much untrained but I love them anyway. The drums were so loud that a few people actually left the church because of it. Our drummer though now is working Sundays but I wish they would just spring for an electronic set so they could turn them down. He was in a partial plexi glass walled cubical and that did not help too much either and besides that is one of those drummers who only drum hard. You could say we have a few sound issues!
:laughing:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

rosehebrew wrote:
Do you think a new one would help even a little?

It's possible, but if the mic they're using for you now is a quality model, then a new one might make very little difference.

For drummers who only play LOUD, these can help:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend ... sku=443400

They're called Hot Rods, and rather than being a solid stick of wood, it's a bundle of small wood pieces. The drummer can still hit hard, but the drums don't resonate as much.

If a drummer refuses to use them, then I wouldn't have much use for a drummer with that attitude on a worship team. :-({|=

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm 

KittyR wrote:
If a drummer refuses to use them, then I wouldn't have much use for a drummer with that attitude on a worship team. :-({|=

Amen. It sounds as if an ego is getting in the way of the worship.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am 

yeah it is true that he doesn't want to use them. It is disturbing to me but you know I swallow my annoyance and do my job, what else can you do. I don't know why it seems to be a drummer issue maybe there is something to that joke, "What do drummers and musicians have in common?...Nothing at all". He seems to be a nice guy though but just doesn't "Get It"

Last year though in a different church we had a pro drummer and wow he was great. He added to things instead of taking over and would get downright distressed if he did not think it was up to par. At first he was struggling a bit with the slow worship as he had been a rock drummer but when he caught on it was really great but unfortunately he was not consistent in showing up. What is it about the drummers anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What is it about the drummers anyway?

Been playing with the same drummer and bass player in worship teams for going on 12 years, 7 of which I was the team leader. He played a Roland V-Drum kit in 2 churches - sounded great every time. Always in tune, miced perfectly, and completely under control. He's used a pair of Sony MDR headphones of mine for the past 7 years. AND ... he's a BEAST player. I am BLESSED! Also have a second drummer that has really embraced the Roland kit and headphones. doubly BLESSED!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm 

jrc wrote:
Quote:
What is it about the drummers anyway?

Been playing with the same drummer and bass player in worship teams for going on 12 years, 7 of which I was the team leader. He played a Roland V-Drum kit in 2 churches - sounded great every time. Always in tune, miced perfectly, and completely under control. He's used a pair of Sony MDR headphones of mine for the past 7 years. AND ... he's a BEAST player. I am BLESSED! Also have a second drummer that has really embraced the Roland kit and headphones. doubly BLESSED!!!

Jrc. you are super doubly blessed! I hope my church works this stuff out someday but I am at this point just trying to be patient. I have to admit that once in a while I get in rant or two with my poor hubby but I get over it move on. :-({|=

I think the electronic drums are great but the drummer said he would ONLY play a Roland kit. Don't you think though that drums not as high a quality would be better than the trouble we are up against because it has really caused problems with most of the congregation. Maybe praising the Lord with humility on an inferior setup would be more of an acceptable sacrifice than getting into to the costly stuff and focusing on enjoying yourself (it is great if it is available because we want to give our best). I understand it is great and all but we all have limitations in just about everything we embark on and through that character can be built?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder what his reasons are? I used to play on a Roland set that had those rubber heads, and it hurt my hands every time even though I wore biking gloves. But then the church sprang for a set of V-drums with the mesh heads, and it was like playing on a dream... SO much more comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Don't you think though that drums not as high a quality would be better than the trouble we are up against because it has really caused problems with most of the congregation.

If the sound is the issue, no - an inferior kit sounds inferior. If the fact that there are drums involved at all, it isn't going to matter what kit you put up there.

Also, the heads on some of the Roland kits are mesh and behave like real drum heads. That offers two benefits; they rebound well, and don't put as much stress on drummer's hands and arms.

EDITORIAL COMMENT!!!!!:

Worship should be fun. I have a blast. It blesses me to sing to my Dad, and it blesses Him. It's the purpose for which I was created and I LOVE it. Granted there are times it may be more pensive or contemplative, but on the whole it's a joy. Having said all that, I agree you have to work within the limits of budget and space, and your drummer needs to get a grip on that. I won't have guitar amps on our platform - everyone runs through the monitors so we can be certain the mix is even (as much as possible) across the room. I say all that to explain that I understand there are sacrifices that have to be made for the sake of the ministry. Your worship leader needs to be up front with the drummer. If he wants to play - here it is, we'd love to have you, but on our terms and we will carry on without you if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
I won't have guitar amps on our platform - everyone runs through the monitors so we can be certain the mix is even

Oh Jim, you're just hurting your guitar players with this. Poor guys or girls!

Most guitar players consider their amp to be half of their instrument because of the certain tone they get with it, and effects too.

Compromise can go several ways.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
jrc wrote:
I won't have guitar amps on our platform - everyone runs through the monitors so we can be certain the mix is even

Oh Jim, you're just hurting your guitar players with this. Poor guys or girls!

Nope - no problem with effects - I use them. But we're(the teams) located at the end of a long room. An amp would saturate one end and not be heard on the other. Then you have to do the monitors vs amps volume dance ... no thanks. We can share monitors and get everyone in the house mix. That's a much better solution for our room. In a different place I might feel differently, but they won't work where we are now. there's too many good amp simulators and line-in options available that won't kill the team sound.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

most decent guitar amps have a line out these days