Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Dixon - or others, and playing in public
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:02 pm 

Hi whistlers!!

I'm a Dixon enthusiast. Or, I think, why buy something else when you know Dixon is good?

I need another C whistle, one G and A whistle (I think), and one Eb for next summer. I've asked Dixon and they'll have G and A whistles ready soon.

Or, should I buy something else? Don't remember if it was here I asked, or at Chiff and fipple.
I have some criteria that have to be met. The whistle has to have a bright, clear sound, not the breathy sound of the Clarke. It has to be easy to play, as easy as Dixon. It has to be easy to reach the second octave. And I don't want to pay more than 300 SEK (30 euro).

What is the difference between all the different materials they (like, Dixon) makes whistles by? Does it give differences in sound and playability?

Are there other whistles that are as good as Dixon, in the areas that I mentioned?

This weekend I whistled officially for the first time. We had a gig Saturday night, with quite a lot of Irish tunes where I played the whistle.
First of all, I really suck at whistling when I play for an audience!! Second, it was REALLY cold and I could barely move my fingers. And I hadn't practiced very much. Bad thing. Next time I may play the bouzouki instead. At least on the G tunes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 pm 

The Susato Eb is one of their best IMHO. It plays like a dream, is very responsive, perfectly in tune and the tone is clear and bright. The G and A Susatos are OK but nothing to write home about.

The Gen Eb is one of the best Generations along with the Bb. It is not breathy but it does have some chiff.

Well done for having your whistle debut. I think most people mess up a bit on their first performance or two. Practice is the real key. I hope you keep at it as the whistle adds so much to Irish music.

Do you have another Irish gig any time soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:45 pm 

I have a G Dixon and I like it a lot. I like the Gen Eb and the O'Briain improved. In playing the latest Hymn, Softly and Tenderly, the G Dixon was one of the few whistles that had a good "C natural" oxxooo. I tried playing it with some of my standard whistles and there was almost no difference in the oooooo and the oxxooo.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:05 pm 

In my opinion, you're best off sticking with Dixon. I have a Susato E. It's got a good sound, but I'm just not a big fan of Susatos in general. They do have some quallities that really shine out on some songs.