Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Keith has a Low C, tell us about it
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 pm 

Keith, you played your Reviol Low C beautifully over on C&F. Very beautiful. Please tell us over here about your experience with the size, the feel, the playing dynamics. Did you get it for specific hymns or to harmonize with a high C? Since Im going to try building one I am interested, plus I went to the Reviol site and was impressed with the look of the whistle and the makers experience. Thanks when you get time.
Any others with low Cs that have something to say as well?

Don in AZ

Post subject: Re: Keith has a Low C, tell us about it
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:21 am 

DonHen wrote:
Keith, you played your Reviol Low C beautifully over on C&F. Very beautiful. Please tell us over here about your experience with the size, the feel, the playing dynamics. Did you get it for specific hymns or to harmonize with a high C? Since Im going to try building one I am interested, plus I went to the Reviol site and was impressed with the look of the whistle and the makers experience. Thanks when you get time.
Any others with low Cs that have something to say as well?

The tune "Abide With Me" that you heard on C&F is actually on #22 of the Praise exchange also (added recently).

It's actually something to see the C standing about two inches higher than the Low D next to it. I have medium (but probably on the smaller side of medium) hands, though my fingers aren't thin. This means that the stretch of Low C takes a little more from me than the Low D. I don't think I'll be able to reach (at least without pain) anything lower (such as a Bass Bb or A). The Reviol is similar in weight to my Reyburn low d. This means it's a bit heavy and now and then my hand get tired. The Reviol also has a unique surface (at least the black one does) that's just a bit gritty and so it helps in keeping a grip on it. The sound, the strength, and the feel of playing this reminds me more of the Overton and Chieftain camp than it does the Howard or Burke kind of sound. It's solid, rich, and has a bit of chiff and a bit of the breathy sound. It takes medium/medium low air as far as Low whistles go.

I bought the Low C because I wanted a sold, reliable C with a strong voice, and hopefully in a brand I didn't happen to have -- whether to play at home, or in another situations where a C is needed (granted, not too much with Irish music, but with hymns and folk tunes, there are plenty of opportunities). This fit the bill perfectly. I've got a low C tube (do it yourself) that Tommy sent along with the Howard Low D I bought from him. Given that Low C isn't used often, I don't need another, though I have to admit I'd like to hear (down the road sometime) what a Burke Low C is like.