Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Shaw low D tweaks? Anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:01 pm 

I recently acquired a Shaw low D. I had one years ago that I tweaked myself and loved it, but sold it. I have forgotten, however, what I did to make that one so good. I know Jerry Freeman tweaked soprano Shaws, but he stays away from lower keyed Shaws. I'm not afraid to do the work, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any success tweaking a Shaw low D. I may just dive in and do what I can, but I'd like to know what others have done first. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Shaw low D tweaks? Anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:54 pm 
PWA Founder

Hi Scott,
Dive in and if it doesn't work send it to me. I've had some success reconstructing a seriously damaged Shaw low D. I also have a recipe for an insert that will calm the beast and can be removed so he can honk when you want that.

Mack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:41 am 

Thank you, Mack. I appreciate it. I was able to speak to Jerry Freeman last night, very nice guy. He gave me his recipe for the Shaw low D, and what to look for specifically. The nice thing about them is they do bend somewhat easily, so changes can be undone if they are not too drastic.
I also thought about an insert. I have a small clip that looks like a piece of folded over plastic, very thin. Cut to size it should fit over the end of the ceiling of the windway, and help decrease the air requirement. It would do the same thing as the piece of plastic Jerry laminates into the windway of the soprano Shaws he does. The sop. Shaw D I have that he tweaked is as loud as any whistle I own, takes no more breath than any except in the upper octave, and has a nice sweet tone. It's quite a nice whistle, I use it as much as I use my expensive whistles.
The other thing I do to them is shape the under side of the fipple block on my belt sander to give is a curve, de-burr the metal and apply a food safe wood finish to the block. I used water based poly in the past, but now use either pure tung oil or a warm mixture of 1 part beeswax and 4 parts mineral oil.
Folks may think I'm crazy, but as much as I like the sound of a sweet and pure whistle, I just think nothing compares to the very celtic sound of an adjusted or tweaked Shaw. If only they were tunable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 am 
Site Admin

hmm makes one wonder if you could split the tube and create a tuning slide....without completely ruining the intonation.