Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: low D for small hands?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:47 pm 

I'm still looking for a really good low D that I can play easily. I have somewhat smaller hands for a man. I sold my Howard, just impossible to play quickly. Currently I'm playing a Shaw low D and a Dixon low D. Both are decent, the Shaw being the easiest to finger. But I'm wondering if there's another low D that is really easy to finger, and has a good strong tone and volume. Has anyone played a Copeland low D? I'm wondering if it's worth it to save and search for one. I need good volume and a strong bottom note. So, any suggestions or ideas? Wadda y'all think?

Post subject: Re: low D for small hands?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm 

I don't have anything different from what you have been playing. However Colin Goldie will make you a low D for small hands and anything else you would like. If you don't like it he will probably take it back but you can always sell a Goldie low D.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:18 pm 

Michael Burke makes a whistle that's supposed to be easy to reach for small hands. Your Shaw is easier to finger because it's conical, as would be a Copeland. As I understand it, Copelands can be quite variable whistle to whistle. The easiest to reach low D would probably be a closed-hole Boehm flute. :D (Of course, tone production is not quite as easy.)

Assuming here that you've already tried piper's grip with the whistles you've had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 pm 

Yes, I've tried piper's grip. Unfortunately, I also have somewhat thin fingers. I could never get a good seal with piper's grip. I used to play clarinet and sax, contralto and bass clarinet, and tenor sax. None of those would give me the problems I've had with some low whistles. I've thought about the Burke. I used to own one of the very early composite low C Burkes. I sold it to Vinny a few years ago. It played well, and I don't remember having much trouble closing the holes. Maybe I'll look into it. I've thought about a Reyburn, too. He can offset the holes, as many other makers can. But I'm pretty finicky about sound. I like a a solid low sound, something that just speaks and growls.

I've got some time to think it over. I'm going to need to save up for this purchase. I've spent all my budget this year already. But that's why I'm asking the questions now. This way I'll know how to save and what to be ready to buy.

I spoke with Jerry Freeman on the phone one evening and he helped me to tweak my Shaw low D. It plays nice now, I like it a lot. I guess I'm just too picky, looking for that elusive combination of great tone, strong volume and playability. I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Maybe... :-k