Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Got a new one, low D, that is!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm 

I think I've found my ultimate low D. After working much overtime and selling a couple whistles, I convinced my wife I needed a low D for my small hands. So, I bought a Walt Sweet Onyx low D. Yes, it's everything they say it is. Oddly enough, I no longer have to look for another low D. I don't know how to deal with that, except to sit back and play, play, play. This thing has great volume, wonderful sound and a very easy reach. It's a three piece whistle, the left hand and right hand sections can rotate, has offset holes and a conical bore to boot. It's thick walled, and has some heft to it. I can find all sorts of notes I've had trouble with before, such as G# in two octaves, with no half-holing. Anyhow, I have low D bliss. Just thought I'd share.

Post subject: Re: Got a new one, low D, that is!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Need a piper's grip?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:57 pm 

Nope, no need for a piper's grip and no hand cramps with it. I have smallish hands for a man and I can play this one comfortably. I never could get the hang of a piper's grip since my fingers just didn't seem to seal the holes enough. The 3rd and 6th hole on this are small and offset, plus it's in three pieces so you can rotate the sections to fit your hands. The only other low D that I could play comfortably was a Shaw, but then there's the breath needed for that. This has easy breath, loud volume, wonderful tone and fits my hands like no other low D. It makes me actually not want another low D, except maybe a Copeland ;) but I don't need one. I just really am satisfied with this whistle, and that's a tough statement to make from someone acquires instruments as a hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:55 pm 

Congrats to you! Finding the whistle just makes you happy doesn't it. The quest can finally be over...yeah! \:D/