Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: I need advice as well! (Giveaway Whistles)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:07 pm 

What whistle do you use when you are teaching the whistle?

I normally give away Walton Mellow Ds as they only cost £2.99 and sound a lot sweeter than many of the cheap Ds. BUT the last four people I introduced the whistle to this year all struggled to find enough puff to play the second octave easily. Of course they will all be able to eventually but often I have littel time to get people started. I was wondering what is easier to play and perhaps less loud to give to beginners?
They must be cheapies as I normally give whistles away.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:19 pm 

I think that the MEG's might be a good option for you. I have played a few and they seem a little easier to blow than my Walton's LBW. They are also inexpensive and will handle a few tweaks which we all seem to do after we have played for a little while (you know what I mean, by the 3rd or 4th day :mrgreen: ".

I gave out quite a few MEG's after Katrina and they were all well received. Yes it does seem that it takes a little bit of time for people to really start getting into the second octave, but I think we all experienced that. I have played a little over a year now and it still gives me troubles on a few of my whistles. Like Jim I was told that I have to learn to "push" more air through the tube. I also will admit that when I first play around others I hold back because of the "stage-fright" thing.

Good luck on your choice and no matter what you decide to do, the important thing is that you are sharing the gift of music. Go to Mark Bell's website and print out some hymns and let the spirit do the rest. If they are meant to be whistle players they will have the best start you could give them and I am sure your gift will be appreciated.

Peace,
Micheal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:28 pm 

I've also given away Clares after putting a little putty in the fipple. After the tweak, they do pretty well with a new player.

Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:34 pm 

I usually give away Megs.

Mark

Whistle and Squeak: Folk, Traditional, Hymns, and Carols with Pennywhistle Tablature and Sound Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Add me to the "Meg" list, too. I actually give whatever may be on hand whenever anyone expresses the slightest interest in whistles -- including a brass Dixon. The Dixon was a mistake. The 'newbie' couldn't handle that one at all and happily traded for a Sweetone. The tone quality of the Sweetones & Megs aren't 'up to snuff' when compared with an Abell or Burke; but the ease with which one can play those whistles is irreplaceable. I try to keep Megs(~$3 USD) on hand, along with the Mel Bay Irish Tin Whistle Music Pocketbook (~$1 USD), a nifty 32 page book that does fit in the pocket and has notes & whistle tabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 am 

Ok we'll get a box of Megs. That book sounds good so thanks Judy. I have a couple of Sweetones kicking around but I don't think I have ever owned a Meg. Are they similar in tone to a Sweetone?

Thanks for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Adrian, the Megs are almost identical to the Sweetones, just made a little more cheaply. It may be cheaper labor, plus the back seam is a bit rougher. Both Sweetones & Megs probably aren't exactly in tune with other whistles, but they are 'in tune' with themselves. (Does that make sense? It looks a tad odd. :? )

The book (5" x 3.5") is very handy for the price. It has 10 pages of rudimentary "how-to" play whistle, read music, etc -- and 22 pages of tunes. Some of the tunes are : Cockles & Mussels, Londonderry Air, The Foggy Dew, Haste to the Wedding, and Drowsy Maggie (still a challenge for me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:55 pm 

Judy K wrote:
Adrian, the Megs are almost identical to the Sweetones, just made a little more cheaply. It may be cheaper labor, plus the back seam is a bit rougher. Both Sweetones & Megs probably aren't exactly in tune with other whistles, but they are 'in tune' with themselves. (Does that make sense? It looks a tad odd. :? )

The book (5" x 3.5") is very handy for the price. It has 10 pages of rudimentary "how-to" play whistle, read music, etc -- and 22 pages of tunes. Some of the tunes are : Cockles & Mussels, Londonderry Air, The Foggy Dew, Haste to the Wedding, and Drowsy Maggie (still a challenge for me).

Okee dokee! Thanks. I'll order some as soon as we are back from Bulgaria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:32 pm 

Sounds like a good time to ask:

Sweetones.

Is it pronounced "Sweet tones" or Sweet ones"?

allen :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:51 pm 

allen wrote:

Sweetones.

Yes, it is pronounced ''Sweet tones'' or ''Sweetones''.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:55 pm 

Tommy wrote:
allen wrote:

Sweetones.

Yes, it is pronounced ''Sweet tones'' or ''Sweetones''.

Well, that clears that up!!

allen :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:00 am 

I use my Susatos when playing for church, partly because they are tunable, partly because I could get them in different keys. But my favorite to play is the Sweetone. I've tried the Meg. It's a lot like a Sweetone but the tuning is truer with the Sweetone.

My currency calculator -- http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html -- says that in American currency the difference is 96 cents ($4.56 vs. $5.52.) I would say yes, it's worth the extra money. Growing up, I had a piano that had an excellent tone and good action, not a Steinway, but a good instrument. I don't think I'd have kept up with the piano if it had been of lesser quality or out of tune.

I think a student musician is encouraged with a good, in-tune, instrument.

My two pence worth! :)

allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:50 am 

allen wrote:
My two pence worth! :)

allen

Two pence or 4 megs worth.

We learnt to say 'two pence' when I was at school in the 70s when everything changed. Up til then Brits said 'tupence'. 1 1/2 pence was 'penny hapenny'. Yikes! we has 240 pence to the pound!

Susato - My prefered instrument for worship as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Megs cost $3 USD at The Whistle shop and $3.27 at Whistle & Drum, which should be ~ 1.58-1.72 GBP. Would the shipping charges make buying in the US cost prohibitive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:21 am 

Judy K wrote:
Megs cost $3 USD at The Whistle shop and $3.27 at Whistle & Drum, which should be ~ 1.58-1.72 GBP. Would the shipping charges make buying in the US cost prohibitive?

:shock: Isn't the Clark factory in the UK?

I have just noticed that Hobgoblin has put up the prices for the Sweetone. I'll contact the Clark firm and see what they can offer. If they can't give a better price then we'll be trading with the US. ;)

I just looked at the Clark site and it confirms the Meg theory (being half a penny).

Thanks Judy