Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: I Came for the Friendship-- and the Chocolate
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Admin

So, I've missed you all. It's been 8 years, I'm thinking. Long enough to build up some good story.

Two years ago I severed a tendon in a finger. My fingertip was bent at a 90 degree angle. There was some question as to whether I would play whistle again, so it had to be treated.

While a brace kept on for 6-8 weeks was an option, my odds of playing again were somewhat increased if I opted for surgery. So I opted for surgery. Eight weeks later a pin was removed and therapy began. When the time came, I pulled out my beloved Mellow Dog and played a tune. Ah, blessed relief! And then....I just didn't pull out the old whistle bag any more. Can't tell you why. Just out of the habit, I guess.

Fast forward to the last 6 months. Three people dear to me have passed away during this season, and some other things have happened as well. I found I needed to play a lament from time to time. So the whistles are back!

Then I got to thinking about you all over here, and especially about Mack, and Judy, and wondered how everyone is.

While FB has kind of muscled in as the social thing now, there's something about the public nature of it that makes it not quite safe over there. So...that's my story. A little battered by the last few months, thankful for a safe place.

And thankful for whistles! And for chocolate!

Y'all still love chocolate?

Post subject: Re: I Came for the Friendship-- and the Chocolate
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 pm 

In that eight years I have had a shoulder replaced, a brain tumor removed, and cataracts removed. I took up the uke and tried to go back to my beloved Martin D28. Unfortunately the guitar didn't like me.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Chocolate makes the world a better place ... and teasing the chocoholic (me, for one) makes good times for all! :mrgreen:

Eight years, Connie? Wow. In the last eight years, I lost my dad plus 3 other close relatives and my best friend, had cancer, surgery for that and a one shoulder replaced and the doctor wants to replace the other ( [-( ). On the good side, there are 2 more great-nieces and 1 honorary great-nephew in the family ... and 3 new dulcimers, one of which is chromatic. Oops -- and very soon, a bass ukulele (yea, Mack!).

I agree with you on FaceBook, Connie. It doesn't give a feeling of community. It gives the feeling that everyone and their cousin in Siberia is listening to the conversation.

Speaking of FB, Adrian hasn't posted there since March. Has anyone heard from him?

Great to see you, Ron! How is Ms. Ella?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

It's good to hear some bits from your lives. Although I've never met anyone here face to face, I do feel that I know you, at least to some degree.

Lots going on here, too. God willing, I'm within three years of retirement; if my body holds up, that will mean a cutting back of work hours, which will be most welcome.

Some time back, my oldest daughter began communicating with a young man she met through a cell phone game. He is a native of Poland who lives / works in Great Britain. She took a few trips over to Poland to meet him (and his parents.) This past fall, they were married, in Poland. They are both living in Great Britain. (I've never been outside of North America.)

A little more than a year ago, my PSA level was up; a biopsy showed a small amount of low grade prostate cancer. Subsequent PSA levels are down; it's a watch and wait situation.

I'll likely be undergoing surgery on my left eye (retina) for a problem which causes blurred vision. (Epiretinal membrane.)

Still enjoying gardening and music, and still playing with my church worship team.

i will be most glad if PWA is able to continue, and will contribute as I am able.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Somebody say 'chocolate'?

SO nice to see all these peeps back and active here - we have already made some fairly substantial progress in the maintenance aspect of the board and will continue to do whatever we can to keep it around.

You'll notice the 'birthdays' have thinned, as has the number of active members. Beyond that, the bulk of what was done won't be visible to the general membership - we hope! 8-[ :mrgreen: If all goes as planned it will appear much as a swimming duck: completely calm in the visible, but under the surface things are moving furiously.

If someone had a tune to two to post, that would be 'ducky' as well ... :oops: :joker:

\:D/ :wave:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 pm 

Connie, we have something in common. In 2014 I severed a tendon in my left hand and had three surgeries (plus a lot of physical therapy) to repair the injury. It did not return to normal and I now have limited use of the ring finger and and small finger on the left hand. It slows down my playing but I still get by. Since I am limited to slower music, my attention has been focused on hymns rather than reels and hornpipes. I'm having a good time playing hymns on my penny whistle and have no complaints.

By the way, chocolate is proof that God loves us. Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Dan wrote:
By the way, chocolate is proof that God loves us. Dan

Dan, you fit right in! :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Admin

I've damaged tendons on both hands at one time or another - I thought that at least one was severed but apparently not. I didn't have near the issues you guys did. Got that "numb", hanging kind of injury on the last knuckle. The worst was when I was on the road as a keyboard player and tore the one on the middle finger of my left hand playing basketball. Went to a doc-in-a-box for x-rays - he said the bone was ok but the finger would never be straight again. Had to play (did it for a living), so kept it taped literally for months (I did clean and re-tape frequently, btw, lol). Straight and fully functional after about a year (so hey doc... :P ) the others kept taped for a while - wasn't quite as patient with those. A couple are still a little crooked but they all function fine. The acid test for me was making a tight fist. Took a while though...

Glad you guys recovered, and are playing. Another win for our side! =D> :thumbsup: :angel2:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:36 am 
Site Admin

We've all been through some serious stuff!

Judy, my heart goes out to you. All the time we've known each other on Facebook and the real stuff of friendship just never got through all the chatter. ](*,)

Dan, wow! It seems like the outcome is almost never quite as good as they say going into surgery, but one hopes for at least good functionality. It's the reason I chose surgery over a splint.

Jim, I remember having that conversation with you over that wimpy splint that gave me in the emergency room. Useless little thing. I'm glad your finger came out well with taping. I regularly wished I had gone your route instead of mine. Last summer I came to realize it would not have worked with me. I broke a small bone in my foot and taped. Not reachable via cast, I had had enough of surgery. Turns out I am allergic to the adhesive in medical tape. After a day or two I was beside myself with miserable itch. So....

Anyway, Dan, yes. Chocolate remedies it all, and you do indeed fit right in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Ron, I am sorry about your Martin. I know how much they mean to you Martin players.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Jimwasson-- that's a pretty sweet love story about your daughter. :love:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

Love this thread!

I think I've shared most of this already but to keep the thread going, here's our story:

The last eight years has been something for us as well - but especially the last year.....Our newest granddaughter was born a year ago May and she has caused all kinds of transitions. : )

We decided we wanted no regrets so we opted to move to Oregon to be close to her (and her parents, I guess). We're still in the process of the transition. Kathy starts her job in Portland this coming September. I've been serving as an Interim Pastor since Feb. We move into our house, which is only 5 min from Elsie (our granddaughter) on July 5th.

So we're starting a new season . . . seems like most of our peers are retiring and downsizing, but that's still down the road a bit. The good news is we both have a chance of making new friends, finding new careers and starting over. New can be good.

No more Arizona summers . . . Hello rain!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
Judy, my heart goes out to you. All the time we've known each other on Facebook and the real stuff of friendship just never got through all the chatter. ](*,)

I never post personal things on Facebook, Connie. When my dad died three people posted it on FB before we got all the family called. It completely blew my mind and hurt. Two of the 3 posters (wasn't related to the 3rd) were told to never, EVER do it again. Dire threats were also strongly mentioned ... :roll: 8)

Randy wrote:
No more Arizona summers . . . Hello rain!

Cooler temps and a grandbaby sounds like a win-win all around, Randy!