Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Donnybrook Fair
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I posted a new song on the ezfolk site below. It was done in a rush, and there are some glitches, but some feedback on the whistle sound would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm getting too much air in the tone, but I really don't know what it's supposed to sound like .... maybe it's me, maybe the whistle ... I don't know.

Thanks much to all of you.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I think it sounds great myself! Although if you want the sound to be smoother rather than have this much chiff, maybe you'd have to use a different whistle.

Some questions:
What whistle is it?
What mic did you use?
How did you place the mic for recording?

Really, I think it's very nice as is. Beautiful flow in the arrangement too. Well done.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Kitty -

It's a Cheiftain low d (tunable) through a Rode NT1A condenser.

I moved all over the place trying different positions - I think this was close-miced near the fipple. It just kept getting chiffier.

I'm ok with it if that's what Cheiftains are supposed to sound like - I really like it, but I didn't want to have to unlearn any bad habits. I just don't have the experience of a lot of the folks here in that genre.

thanks for the feedback.

Blessings

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
It's a Cheiftain low d (tunable) through a Rode NT1A condenser.

Whoa... that's a pretty chunk of microphone you got there! I think I would try it from the side up near the fipple. I'm sure you tried that one already, but here's a diagram anyway looking down from overhead. The pickup pattern is in red.

Obviously Jim was my model. You can tell by the sunburn on top.

I know a lot about mics but I am no expert on whistles so maybe someone else will see this and either confirm or correct it. But I don't think a whistle is more or less chiffy depending on how you play it. I think the chiff it has is the chiff it has.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Near as I recall, that's about where I got the best result. That's whats on the recording, but then I leaned into the mic/note and got that hideous clip near the end of the tune.

I have a couple more mics in use at church - I use a Beta 87 condenser for my vocal and Ihave a Beta 57 that I use for cello. I'm going to give those a shot too and see what I get. I'm betting the 57 will be a better choice than the Rode for whistle. But I had the Rode at home so....

Thanks for your help. It means a great del that you took the time to do all that. And also, many thanks to Jim. I'm sure it was no fun modeling :lol: !

In His Service

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Well I use a Beta 58 because that's all I have, and I'm really quite pleased with it. But if I had a sweet condenser like yours, I'd be giving that one a try!

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:29 pm 

Great piece, Jim!

I really enjoyed it. God's given you a wonderful gift.

Jorg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

you might also try double mic'ing the whistle. One at the fipple end and one at the end. Some folks do that. Most of the whistle players I see live place the mic at the fipple end. Which is what I do when I play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 pm 

Nice. I've been working on this tune, trying to learn a few faster tempo reels and jigs, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear it played the way you did. I like it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Thanks very much for the encouragement. It means a lot, especially coming from this group.

Quote:
I've been working on this tune, trying to learn a few faster tempo reels and jigs, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear it played the way you did. I like it very much.

Thanks khl, but for the record it is a 'reel' and would typically be faster, yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 am 

Beautiful!! I'm very impressed.

The whistle sounds just like a Chieftain low D should to me. It is the chiff that adds to the beauty of the Chieftain whistles. A good choice of whistle for this piece.

Very well played!
=D> =D>=D>=D>=D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks brother - it needs some work, but I really wanted opinions on the whistle, so I rushed to get it posted. Thanks again for your feedback. I was concerned about the chiff in the Chief'!

I think I'm done with traditional now for a bit. I felt a brooding about recording that song - to make a long story short, I quit playing altogether for about 3 years. I didn't even listen to music, and God gave it all back to me and brought me to a place I could use my efforts for Him. I've been working on 'Come Thou Fount' and 'O Come O Come Emmauel'. I also have another worship song in the works that may turn out ok.

Grace and Peace to all -

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm 

jrc wrote:
Thanks khl, but for the record it is a 'reel' and would typically be faster, yes?

Yes, which is why this was interesting and enjoyable slowed down. Kind of like when Niel Sedaka sang "Breaking up is Hard to do" (normally fast) slowed down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
jrc wrote:

Yes, which is why this was interesting and enjoyable slowed down. Kind of like when Niel Sedaka sang "Breaking up is Hard to do" (normally fast) slowed down.

Gotcha! :) :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

SWEET!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:42 pm 

That was really good brother. The site I found that teaches this song is played much faster... I like this version better. You are really good. I have been learning to play only since Jan 9 and I have not got that song down yet. I may try it at your speed and see what happens.

g

May the road rise to meet you... may the wind be always at your back... May the sun shine warm upon your face... May the rain fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may the LORD hold you in the palm of His hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:44 pm 

I meant I like your version better. The above post did not come out right.

:)
g

May the road rise to meet you... may the wind be always at your back... May the sun shine warm upon your face... May the rain fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may the LORD hold you in the palm of His hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

gregoryturner wrote:
That was really good brother. The site I found that teaches this song is played much faster... I like this version better. You are really good. I have been learning to play only since Jan 9 and I have not got that song down yet. I may try it at your speed and see what happens.

g

I think it came out fine - no worries!

thanks for your reply - may you be richly blessed in your whistling :D !

Now ... that aside ... where are you on the chocolate thing? We goota know before we go any further.

Peace

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:01 pm 

Chocolate thing? I don't follow... lol

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hey welcome to the board, Gregory!

gregoryturner wrote:
Chocolate thing? I don't follow... lol

g

Well... it would seem that many people on this board are totally obsessed with chocolate, and jrc is just bringing it up now so we can know where you stand on the subject. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 pm 

I see... I personally do not eat sweets.. Well maybe once every six months or so...

Is this a good or bad thing on this forum?

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:36 pm 

Mr jrc, I tried to play along with your version (the best I've neard so far) and my homemade low D came pretty close with the music that I have for the song. I am going to try and take a picture of my homemade against my Clarke orig D so you all can get an idea if I did any good at making it or not...

g

Post subject: My homemade low D out of 3/4" cpvc pipe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:50 pm 

Please remember that I am a beginner. It is not pretty but it plays well. When I get used to the piper's grip I will be playing right along...

I hope this photo posting works. I'm not sure if this is the same way I did it last time.

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:52 pm 

I also still have to sand the letters and paint the entire thing in a fusion krylon spray paint. Not sure what color yet... Let me know what you think Mr Jrc...

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Gregory that looks pretty sweet ... can you (or have you?) posted a song so we can hear it? I guess you'll probably want to sand it well before you spend a lot of time with it though... hmmm... plastic bits in the lip would be no fun at all.

If you like, I'll see if I can snatch the .wav file for the backing track to Donnybrook, so you can play along with it. It will most likely be this weekend sometime. I have services Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday so time is limited.

Let me know, and thanks so much for the kind message. I did write Desperate Cry.

blessing brother-

jrc