Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Can you tell which whistle? "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:02 pm 

Here's a clip of "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" (it has other titles and texts it goes with).

I've played twice through, with two low G whistles. Can you tell which is the Abell and which is the O'Riordan?
Attachment:
ComethoulongexpectedJesus_khl.mp3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by khl on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Can you tell which whistle? "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Wow .... those are really close. :shock:

Guessing (have no O'Riordan experience, y'know) .... the O'Riordan was first and the Abell was second. The second one seemed to me to be just a hair smoother and brighter.

Great playing, Keith! \:D/

:-k .... I'll either be a 100% wrong or 100% right ..... :laughing:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:43 am 

Wow...actually I can't tell any difference between the two. They both sound very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know the mezzo sounds as well, but if you'd have been playing D's I'd have guessed O'Riordan on the first and Abell on the second.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 pm 

I'd guess the Abell is the second one. You are playing it with a lot more control than the first one so it obviously loves you and you love it so therefore it must be the Abell. Oh, and the second one has the nicer tone IMO :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm 

I've got just a minute to answer. Judy, Connie, and Adrian: GOOD GUESSES =D> =D> =D> =D> but wrong.

It's interesting that I can hear a subtle difference because I actually played them, but in a year (were I to forget the order) I'd be hard pressed to tell which was which. Adrian, I actually felt slightly less in control with the O'Riordan (still getting used to it, but it plays wonderfully). I probably should have given myself a little more get re-acquainted time with the Abell. I'd been playing the O' for a stretch, then got the Abell out for comparison with only a little warm up time. But it is what it is.

Thanks for playing the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 am 

Good game Keith!

Yikes, the O'Riordan sounds better than the Abell! Susan... (aka Miss Moneypenny), ...where are you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:25 am 
Site Admin

:joker: Well, knew I would be 100% something ... wrong is okay. :lol:

Guess this explains the O'Riordan mystique. But at the current prices for them, I expect to remain O'Riordanless. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 am 

I like both whistles very much. They are similar in many respects, though each has a little something the other doesn't.

The Abell A and the O'Riordan A are also very similar, but with those two there are (to my ear) clearer distinctions. I'll try to post a clip in the next few weeks, so be watching. (Maybe I'll even throw in WW A and the Burke A.) Should be fun. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian, last I checked the O'Riordan market was grossly inflated.

My Greenwood D, I'm told, was made with the same pattern as the O'Riordan, but at a fraction of the cost. I'm quite satisfied with it. Like many things, it's at the high end of what I'm willing to pay. I used it to do the "Unfinished Canon."

Of course, if an O'Riordan were to present itself at a reasonable price, I'd be first in line.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 pm 

Connie,

The Greenwood is indeed modeled after the O'Riordan blackwood. But there are the anodized aluminum O'Riordans also and the low G I have is aluminum. The Abell is wood and maybe that accounts in part for why you heard the wood whistle as closer to the high O'Riordans you are used to.

The O'Riordans do cost much though not because of the maker charging high prices. Those he makes for folks on his (closed) list are sold to them at very reasonable prices. But with so many wanting them, people will sell and buy for lots of money. I got the O'Riordan high D through ebay, but only by a stroke of good fortune. Very early I had bid a high amount (but not much beyond what one would pay for an Abell or a Copeland). People bid up and bit by bit (as it got near closing time) the numbers neared my bid. The next guy then bid $200 more than I had, and no one bid over that. But then the bidder (because the seller didn't contact him before the bid ended) withdrew his bid. As the last highest bidder, ebay awarded the auction to me. When I found out, I laughed in surprise and disbelief that I actually won.

I used the D as partial trade for the G/A combo. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

I guess I implied that the maker was inflating the prices. Not at all. It's a market-driven bit of ridiculousness, which happened, I heard, because his list was closed.

Keith, I'm glad you have that O'Riordan from the clip. And I'd certainly snatch up any O'Riordan I could find if the price were reasonable--although my Greenwood keeps me VERY happy for a wooden high D.

Nice work on both of those whistles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:08 pm 

It seems to me (possibly because of the effects of my cheap speakers or differences in recording mics) that once you get into quality whistles, the differences in quality of sounds are slim. Each whistle has its own characteristics, of course, but I think it takes a very good set of ears (which I don't have) to pick out the differences. Here's me playing one of my low G's on the same tune as above. Whistling ability aside, the whistles themselves don't seem to be that far apart, to me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:08 pm 

Very nice Darvis. Susato?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Very nice Darvis. Susato?
Nope. But thanks for the kind words. I was only trying to show how similar whistles can sound, but I'm curious as to how this whistle sounds to you. If Keith has played this whistle as one of his examples and said it was either an O'Riordan or Abell, would you have thought "Wow, they must have really gone downhill in the last year or two."?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk,

Were you playing with a wooden whistle? It's too full and round to be a metal. Although, if I understand correctly, Keith's O'Riordan is aluminum, which surprised me. The fullness of the sound could be where you're getting the similarity--but I think the whistle you played, Blackhawk, is more mellow than the other two. Perhaps it has a wood mouthpiece?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:53 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Blackhawk,

Were you playing with a wooden whistle? It's too full and round to be a metal. Although, if I understand correctly, Keith's O'Riordan is aluminum, which surprised me. The fullness of the sound could be where you're getting the similarity--but I think the whistle you played, Blackhawk, is more mellow than the other two. Perhaps it has a wood mouthpiece?

:mrgreen: Nope. But good guess. It's a Delrin fippled Humphrey low G. It's almost impossible to tell from clips which whistle is which, or at least I think so. They may sound different in person, I know.

I'm curious, Connie, in describing whistle characteristics, I know it's all subjective, but is "mellow" the same as "pure tone"? And would the opposite of mellow be "complex"? I know "pure" and "chiffy" are thought to be opposites. I've heard of mellow and complex a lot and wonder where they all fit in.

I've often wondered if the popularity of O'Riordan is due to pure tone, or complex, or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:08 pm 

Sounds just like my Susato G which has a rich mellow sound and is one of the nicest G's I have heard. Interesting that the Humphrey G sounds so similar. Very nice both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 am 
Site Admin

When I speak of Mellow I generally am referring to a whistle that's less crisp on the ornaments. Sometimes you want that for a haunting air or something.

A native American flute is mellow. A trumpet is not mellow. A French horn is more mellow than a trumpet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:23 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
When I speak of Mellow I generally am referring to a whistle that's less crisp on the ornaments. Sometimes you want that for a haunting air or something.

A native American flute is mellow. A trumpet is not mellow. A French horn is more mellow than a trumpet.

I'd say the same. For example, I'd say a Burke is bright in tone and an Abell more mellow and smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:46 pm 

Adrian wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

I'd say the same. For example, I'd say a Burke is bright in tone and an Abell more mellow and smooth.

Good observations, all. I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:32 pm 

I've been away and hadn't seen Blackhawk's addition to the thread. Interesting. I like the sound of the Reyburn G.

An interesting thing to consider here: To my ears both the Reyburn and the O'Riordan have a little bit of a woody/breathy sound that seems to make people think a wooden whistle is being played. Both of the ones used here have Delrin Fipples (or at least part of it is Delrin). Hmmm.... :-k Doesn't Judy have a Reyburn G with a wood fipple (or am I remembering wrong)? It would be interesting to compare. Anybody have a Chieftain or Overton Low G?

Of course, I think Blackhawk's right that some differences may or may not be noticeable depending on the recording equipment or on the speakers. Other times the whistles are similar enough that it's hard even in person. Some of my neighbors can tell (listening in the same room) the difference from one whistle to another (even in the same key) while others can't. My wife is able to name some of the whistles I'm playing listening from our room while I play in the living-room (the room is a loft that sits over the the room so it's like being just a short bit away, but in the same room). She can pick out Burke whistles pretty quickly, O'Brien, some of the Abell's, the Resonance Low D.

Fun stuff. I really will try to get some recordings of four A whistles. I think there will be some noticeable differences, but who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:58 pm 

Keith
Look forward to the 'A' whistle comparisons as that is a favourite key of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 pm 

khl wrote:
Fun stuff.
It is indeed fun stuff. It's all a learning experience.

Quote:
I really will try to get some recordings of four A whistles. I think there will be some noticeable differences, but who knows.

Do you mean your own four A whistles or are you asking for contributions? I have three nice A whistles if you mean the latter. In any case, it'll be fun to compare. Maybe you can post them and let folks guess as to which is which again. That was fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
Hmmm.... :-k Doesn't Judy have a Reyburn G with a wood fipple (or am I remembering wrong)? It would be interesting to compare.

Yessir, I do indeed have a Reyburn low G with the maple top .... which Blackhawk coulda told ya since it used to be his. ;)

If I can find a bit of quiet time sometime soon, I'll try to record "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" and add it to the mix.