Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: What Wonderous Love - Akai EWI Wind Synth
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

He's the new Akai on a tune. The range of the instrument is huge - 8 octaves, but this is just a taste. Pardon the slips - I'm still learning the axe :oops: .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: What Wonderous Love - Akai EWI Wind Synth
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:15 pm 

Very nice! Thank you for keeping up my interest on the EWI.

I'm still convinced that this would be a great instrument for Darvis to play at home with headphones!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:35 am 

That was wonderful.
Now I'm gonna have to find out exactly what an EWI is!

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 am 

I would just love to have one of those! But the price along with the fact that I know nothing about saxophone fingerings means it will just be a fantasy for me.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

EWI = Electronic Wind Instrument

Thanks guys - the learning curve is pretty steep. You edit the sounds by computer midi connection and I'm having issues with my PC midi connection. There is some flexibility in real time, but you can't program it like a synth.

The fingerings can be set a couple of different ways - there's even an option for EVI fingering (electronic valve instrument) if you play trumpet/horn. The sax fingering is my choice. It's pretty slick; there's a push for 'silent stages' in the technical world of worship, and this rather follows in that direction.

Thanks for the encouragement.

jrc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:24 pm 

Jim, just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to learn saxophone fingering? Mind you, other than the whistle I have no other ind instrument experience.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

larrym wrote:
Jim, just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to learn saxophone fingering? Mind you, other than the whistle I have no other ind instrument experience.

Larry

To learn a few songs - wouldn't be too hard. It's different than whistle in that it's a chromatic instrument, but if you approach it just to learn a few tunes in specific keys I wouldn't think it was overwhelming. The embouchure and mouthpiece setup would take some tweaking. I've been playing since I was 11. It's such a part of me that often I don't even have to think about what I'm doing so much as what I want to hear. To be able to do that, in any key, is a ton of work. Hours and Hours of scales and arpeggios, and sight reading. I was a sax major in college as well, but just to play some hymns or simple songs should be doable. You're not going to sound like Parker or Coltrane, but neither do I, and we already have had one of each - we don't need another. Bring what you have to it, just like whistling.

If you decide to do so, I'd recommend getting someone to teach you, at least at first. You'll need help making sure the horn is set up right and checking your embouchure and things that you really can't judge for yourself at the onset. It would be very discouraging to get a poor horn and have to constantly fight it and not realize the issue wasn't you, but the horn. They can leak (at the pads) and that gets unmanageable, unless you can recognize it and fix it, or have it fixed. Whistles are much more low maintenance. and a good teacher can keep you from forming habits that you may need to unlearn later, like biting the mouthpiece.

All that said - have at it. You can do it, if you so choose. I have confidence in you :thumbsup: .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 pm 

Sounds like a whole lot of involvement that I'm not sure I can make room for right now, so I think I'll pass.......for the time being at least!!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 pm 

jrc wrote:
larrym wrote:

Larry

To learn a few songs - wouldn't be too hard. It's different than whistle in that it's a chromatic instrument, but if you approach it just to learn a few tunes in specific keys I wouldn't think it was overwhelming. The embouchure and mouthpiece setup would take some tweaking. I've been playing since I was 11. It's such a part of me that often I don't even have to think about what I'm doing so much as what I want to hear. To be able to do that, in any key, is a ton of work. Hours and Hours of scales and arpeggios, and sight reading. I was a sax major in college as well, but just to play some hymns or simple songs should be doable. You're not going to sound like Parker or Coltrane, but neither do I, and we already have had one of each - we don't need another. Bring what you have to it, just like whistling.

If you decide to do so, I'd recommend getting someone to teach you, at least at first. You'll need help making sure the horn is set up right and checking your embouchure and things that you really can't judge for yourself at the onset. It would be very discouraging to get a poor horn and have to constantly fight it and not realize the issue wasn't you, but the horn. They can leak (at the pads) and that gets unmanageable, unless you can recognize it and fix it, or have it fixed. Whistles are much more low maintenance. and a good teacher can keep you from forming habits that you may need to unlearn later, like biting the mouthpiece.

All that said - have at it. You can do it, if you so choose. I have confidence in you :thumbsup: .

I think Larry's question might be with the EWI in mind rather than a sax. If so then he would not have to learn endless scales and arpeggios to play most tunes as your EWI transposes. Also no leaky pads, dodgy reeds or long hours perfecting the embouchure. Am I right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I think Larry's question might be with the EWI in mind rather than a sax. If so then he would not have to learn endless scales and arpeggios to play most tunes as your EWI transposes. Also no leaky pads, dodgy reeds or long hours perfecting the embouchure. Am I right?

To an extent; you are correct about the pads/reed thing for sure.. just like a digital piano. Having said that, it's so touchy that it requires near perfect technique. the slightest glitch in timing or release gets a 'burp', like over the break between D and C. It's far less forgiving than any of my whistles or saxes.

It's much like learning guitar (guitar teachers should weigh in here); I think you should get your technique on acoustic, then play electric. You tendency to pull the guitar out of tune will be less evident having the muscle memory of an acoustic. The same is true for the EWI - it would be terribly frustrating if not totally overwhelming to have to deal with this beast as a first instrument (IMO). It's hard to describe ... it's just SUPER sensitive and you can adjust it to a degree, but too much and you lose all the expression of the instrument. BUT ... if you're just playing simple songs or hymns, it might work for you. I'd definitely try it before purchasing it.

That's my take on it now ... I reserve the right to completely change my mind at anytime :D . and what works or doesn't for me may not apply to everyone ... lilke Kitty says ... your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:12 pm 

jrc wrote:
Quote:

To an extent; you are correct about the pads/reed thing for sure.. just like a digital piano. Having said that, it's so touchy that it requires near perfect technique. the slightest glitch in timing or release gets a 'burp', like over the break between D and C. It's far less forgiving than any of my whistles or saxes.

It's much like learning guitar (guitar teachers should weigh in here); I think you should get your technique on acoustic, then play electric. You tendency to pull the guitar out of tune will be less evident having the muscle memory of an acoustic. The same is true for the EWI - it would be terribly frustrating if not totally overwhelming to have to deal with this beast as a first instrument (IMO). It's hard to describe ... it's just SUPER sensitive and you can adjust it to a degree, but too much and you lose all the expression of the instrument. BUT ... if you're just playing simple songs or hymns, it might work for you. I'd definitely try it before purchasing it.

That's my take on it now ... I reserve the right to completely change my mind at anytime :D . and what works or doesn't for me may not apply to everyone ... lilke Kitty says ... your mileage may vary.

O.K., not a beginners instrument then. There is a shop that specializes in them in London so I'll go and try them out later in the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 am 

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
Quote:

O.K., not a beginners instrument then. There is a shop that specializes in them in London so I'll go and try them out later in the year.

And after you've bought one you can bring it by here and let me play around with it some!!! :laughing:

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 am 

Adrian wrote:

I'm still convinced that this would be a great instrument for Darvis to play at home with headphones!

You're probably right, Adrian, but then I'd have to start learning a new instrument all over again, in my limited spare time. I think I'll just keep making slow forward progress on the whistle as I have time and privacy to practice. But this is a great concept!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:26 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Adrian wrote:

You're probably right, Adrian, but then I'd have to start learning a new instrument all over again, in my limited spare time. I think I'll just keep making slow forward progress on the whistle as I have time and privacy to practice. But this is a great concept!

You could play with headphones while you are staring at screens at work so your boss couldn't hear you! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Adrian wrote:

You could play with headphones while you are staring at screens at work so your boss couldn't hear you! ;)

And if he asks, you could tell him you're running oxygen/carbon dioxide comparison tests for OSHA. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:52 pm 

jrc wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Adrian wrote:

And if he asks, you could tell him you're running oxygen/carbon dioxide comparison tests for OSHA. :mrgreen:

You are GOOD, Jim! Or I could tell him I'm analyzing the BRT (that means "big round thing") :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
jrc wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Adrian wrote:

You are GOOD, Jim! Or I could tell him I'm analyzing the BRT (that means "big round thing") :mrgreen:

see .. we can work this out. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

can you not change the fingerings on this one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
can you not change the fingerings on this one?

Yes, you can choose the standard EWI fingering (rather clarinet-like), sax, or EVI which approximates a valved instrument.