Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Re: Which whistle? II (My Shepherd Will Supply My Need)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:56 am 

OK, I was convinced that the first one was my old Burke comp A. Then I was convinced number 2 was the Burke. Then...okay you probably get the idea. I thought surely I'd recognize the sound, since I played it so much. This is really funny.

On Monday I should have my WW A back and another A also, so I can post my four clips. I'm really curious to see if all four will sound identical.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:06 am 

Here is the order for the long clip : O'Riordan, Burke, Water Weasel, Abell.

On the short "mix" clip: Water Weasel, O'Riordan, Abell, Burke.

Now go back and give them a listen again. Does it make a difference? Can you more clearly hear aspects that you can identify as one whistle or another? Does listening with earphones make a difference?

With all of these, it is, I think, important to remember that this is also a one time run through with each playing and a particular playing of mine may have not always brought out the best of the whistle at one moment. And of course, there's always personal preferences and reactions.

Fun, fun, fun. I look forward to Blackhawk's clips.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:06 pm 

OK, I've listened and listened, and honestly, they all sound identical to me. This is very interesting. I think there may be subtle differences, but I think they are so subtle as to be microscopic. Very interesting. Now I just wonder if they'd sound the same in person. Keith, can you tell a difference as you play them, not in playing characteristics (backpressure, etc) but in actual sound?

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll have mine back and can do something similar in the key of A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
OK, I've listened and listened, and honestly, they all sound identical to me. This is very interesting. I think there may be subtle differences, but I think they are so subtle as to be microscopic. Very interesting. Now I just wonder if they'd sound the same in person. Keith, can you tell a difference as you play them, not in playing characteristics (backpressure, etc) but in actual sound?

Yes, I can hear differences in sound 'live' and also (to a lesser degree) on the recorded clips. My wife can hear a difference live as well. Listen to the short mix clip. Turn up the volume. When it hits 14 seconds or so ( when it switches whistles) see if you can hear/sense a change.

Looking forward to your clips.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 am 

Okay so I struck out this time, but I do enjoy these listening exercises. I can hear quite a few differences which I hope to be characateristics of the whistle itself and not the player. I was a bit surprised to find the one I liked so much was a Water Weasel . It's the mellowness of the tone and the way certain notes flow together that pleases my ear.
This group has already given me a lot of "ear" exercise and quite a few new tunes, so cheers and thanks to all.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 pm 

OK, I'm ready with my clip (thanks to Lyn for technical advice on how to do this all in one clip...I was getting ready to post four separate clips). The whistles, in mixed up order, are Water Weasel A, Tommy's new production A, Overton A and Humphrey A. One note: I didn't make any effort to get them all in tune with each other. Wherever the tuning slide happened to be, I left it there and just played it, so you'll hear them being at slightly different pitches from each other. That would be fixed if I were playing in a group of other musicians, except for the Overton, which isn't tunable, but since I'm not...this is what you get. But all four whistles sound great by themselves.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 pm 

O.K. Blackhawk, here's my guess:

1- Water Weasel
2- Tommy's
3- Humphrey
4- Overton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 pm 

Difficult to say with certainty.

1. Humphrey
2. Tommy's
3. Water Weasel
4. Overton

Thanks for posting these Blackhawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:58 am 

Well, I guess no one else is going to take a guess, so Keith...you NAILED it. :shock: Man, you have really blown my mind here. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:01 am 
Site Admin

\:D/

Keith, you da man!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:08 am 

=D> =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way to go, Keith!!!

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:56 am 

I didn't post on this one but wrote down 4 choices on my desk at work and ..... I was 0 for 4 on this one as well. :oops: Fwiw, I liked #2 (Tommy's) better than the others.
Maybe I need to try out more whistles. The A that I own is ren-fair $5 bamboo job but I am really fond of it.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Well, I guess no one else is going to take a guess, so Keith...you NAILED it. :shock: Man, you have really blown my mind here. =D>

LOL! I'm glad (and surprised) to have guessed these right. I was very sure of the Overton, fairly sure of the WW, and there was something about the first that reminded me of the Humphrey's I've played and heard played by Blackhawk. I've heard Tommy's whistles because I have a couple of his tweaked Gen/Feadog/Waltons, but not the wood ones. There was still something "Tommyish" about the sound. Still I got lucky because I could easily have switched my guesses between 1 & 2 and maybe between 3 and 4, but the sound/tone/volume of the Water Weasel and Overton and made me pretty certain they were 3 and 4.

I can't promise when, but I will try to get something up -- new tunes and new whistles -- in the next week or so.

Adrian, if you're reading, please feel free to use some of your whistles for a test too. It would add to the fun. (Of course, anyone who wants to play and record is welcome. It's just that Adrian has a thousand and one whistles we could guess from. ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm 

khl wrote:

I can't promise when, but I will try to get something up -- new tunes and new whistles -- in the next week or so.

I've thought of doing Bb also, since I have so many, but I don't want to bore everyone. But Keith, even if no one but you, Lyn and I play, it'll be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
khl wrote:

I've thought of doing Bb also, since I have so many, but I don't want to bore everyone. But Keith, even if no one but you, Lyn and I play, it'll be fun.

Bb would be great.

And if the others don't like us, we can just take our whistles and go home. :wave: :wave: :wave: :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:01 am 

Now Keith... ;)

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
khl wrote:

Bb would be great.

And if the others don't like us, we can just take our whistles and go home. :wave: :wave: :wave: :)

by all means, please continue. We're all lurking in the background, watching, listening.

Maybe we could start a pool ... my money's on Keith... wait ... Darvis ...wait .. Adrians' playing?... I'll take Adrian... Lyn???..... I'm so confused. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:02 am 

jrc wrote:
khl wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
khl wrote:

Bb would be great.

by all means, please continue. We're all lurking in the background, watching, listening.

Maybe we could start a pool ... my money's on Keith... wait ... Darvis ...wait .. Adrians' playing?... I'll take Adrian... Lyn???..... I'm so confused. :P

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm 

I'm surprised to discover that the Water Weasel has a nicer tone to my ear than an Abell! Well, saves a lot of money. I'll keep the rest of my Water Weasels then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:01 pm 

Adrian wrote:
I'm surprised to discover that the Water Weasel has a nicer tone to my ear than an Abell! Well, saves a lot of money. I'll keep the rest of my Water Weasels then.

That's a very good idea. I've been shocked at how good the WW is. And Tommy's CPVC whistles, too.

Even though I don't play my WW A/Bb set very much, I love them and would not part with them.