Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: My Beginner Music
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 pm 

Well, here is the start of my learning process. I just got the Low D, and have a LONG way to go. Thanks for listening.

Megan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My Beginner Music
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:53 am 
Site Admin

Sounds good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:57 am 

Man, good job, Megan! Usually it takes a lot longer to master a low D. Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:13 am 

:thumbsup: Sounding good, Megan. As Darvis said, it usually takes some time to get as good as you sound on a low D. I can't wait to hear you once you've been playing it for a while! I've forgotten, though, what low D do you have?

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 pm 

I got the Sweetheart Wooden Laminate Low D. I wanted the Burke Viper, but wasn't sure about the finger spread. I am doing okay on the Sweetheart- not as good as I would like, but I always expect more of myself than is realistic :P I actually had some bad sounds at first and we discovered that the plug that went in to form the mouthpiece had some air leaks. All better now, though! Thanks for listening, and I will keep practicing.

Megan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Nice, Megan! :D

These are not sounding beginner-ish to me! You've even got ornaments in there ... something I sure couldn't handle after 2 weeks on a low D. (Probably why all my low D's are gone now.) He Leadeth Me only partially downloaded for me ... but I blame my ISP and dial-up. (I'll try again later.)

The Sweets are very good about fixing any of their whistles. Contact them about the problem and see what they say.

------------

Ahhh .... got to hear all of "He Leadeth Me" ... =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Super job! Well played and well recorded ... sounds like you got the hardware stuff sorted out :thumbsup: . Really nice considering it's a low D. Sweet whistle ... no pun intended.

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:12 pm 

Nice job, Megan, especially for such a short time on the low D. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 pm 

Very nice! Good playing, and man I love that whistle tone!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:16 pm 

Thanks for all of the comments. I will try to post more as I learn. I have been to two practice sessions with the Worship Band and played once in church. This next Sunday I have a duet with the pastor on guitar to 'How Deep the Father's Love'. It is a beautiful song and I have been humming it all week. I also recently got the Sweetheart 'C' whistle. After comparing them all to my Burke F and other cheaper whistles, I am decidely attached to the tone of the wood instruments- probably because my beginnings were with clarinet. I just LOVE the tone that comes out of those Sweethearts. I'll try to post the above song on the Low 'D' and perhaps the 'C' with 'As the Deer'. Thanks for listening! You are all right, recording does allow for more learning and better self-critique.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:51 pm 

Okay, well, unfortunately, I wanted to record some new songs, and it took me so long to figure it out again that they don't sound like I would like (I got tired!). But as I was listening, I noticed that they DO sound better than last time I recorded songs. I still have a long way to go, but for the first time, I got the whole benefit of recording. I could hear things I liked, and didn't like, and now I can work on changing them. Anyway, still feeling beginnerish, but I can tell there is improvement, and it is fun! Thanks for listening!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Nice tunes, Megan. I think recording really does help. The first tune I recorded was Amazing Grace for the Praise Exchange. Boy, was that one bad ( :-$ -- and it has been removed permanently and stored about 6 feet under a concrete bunker now ... 8-[ ) All the squeaks and squawks you really don't notice when playing are blatant in a recording.

I think you're doing really well. Your ornaments are very cool ... and much better than any I've attempted.

"As the Deer" is my favorite of the two. :) :thumbsup: