Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Chord question ... "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

I found the music for "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted" in a stack on my desk. I must have downloaded it sometime, but not sure when or why. (Old-timers has kicked in!) I started picking it out on the dulcimer ... interesting tune. One sharp, so I guess it's key of G, but the chords listed give it a minor-ish sound. (Yes, I am totally ignorant in music theory and happy that way, as long as I can ask more intelligent friends dumb questions. :D ) The version I have is from Igrace music. <Link here> The one on Cyberhymnal is a bit different in notes, timing, and chords. ( :-k Maybe I should just work on that version?)

My problem with this is the B chord in the second full measure. Why a B chord? Doesn't it conflict with the A note? Plus, finding a B chord on the dulcimer is almost impossible (to my knowledge) unless there is a 1+ fret ... and the A chord sounds cool in place of the B chord.

Am I totally screwing up the song with an A chord in place of the B chord? Any one know the song and have any suggestions or brilliant insights to offer?

Post subject: Re: Chord question ... "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:11 am 
Site Admin

The tune is actually in Em - the relative minor of G major. The A in a B major chord is termed a dominant - a leading tone, if you will, making the tune feel like it wants to go back to the Em.

I have only one rule - no rules. If you like it, and you think it sounds good, nail it.

Oh ... and post a clip... please!

Edit - that's 'no rules' in a strict musical sense ... I'm not a total barbarian ... 75-80%, but not total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:03 am 
Site Admin

I reread what I posted and there's some misleading stuff there.

The D# in a B is actually the 'leading tone' - the A the dominant 7th. The function is still the same though, to get you back to Em.

Without hearing it, it's difficult to say with certainty, but I'd try substituting a D major for the B. The tune looks like it would lend itself nicely to a more modal approach, IMO. The B looks out of context to me, but likely it's in the style of the period. YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:07 am 
Site Admin

How 'bout using this tune for the Praise Exchange song? Any seconds to the nomination of the floor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Jim. I can handle the "if it sounds good" part real well. Did think about posting it as a rough clip ... just hadn't recorded it yet.

Would work well as a TPE tune .... and I don't mind the hijack. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

they speak the truth at the end of the day if you like the sound of one chord over another use the one that sounds good to your ear. Ask others to which one they think sounds better.

I would also put in a vote for using a D in place of the B just looking at the music. because B= barre chord and with my wrist I am not exactly getting along with barre's at the moment. \:D/