Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: When sorrows encompass me round
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:22 am 

I was inspired to sing that hymn Kevin told us about, and while looking for it I came to think of an oldtime gospel song I used to sing a lot last year but for some reason have forgotten about. In this particular time when I'm feeling very low, I can so relate to it, and there's such hope in it. I'm glad I got the inspiration to sing it today, and realize it's just the same situation as when I recorded What a friend. Why do I forget what a comfort there is in singing Christian songs and playing the guitar???

I must say that this is the video I'm most happy with since months back.... even with a broken voice (been coughing a few weeks).

And Kevin - thanks for inspiring me to sing that hymn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVdToHFjKkI

And Kitty, if you want to hear one of my old multitrack recordings, I have this song on my Fiddle Hangout page - http://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/music.asp?id=846. Not sure if you can access it without being a member, let me know if you can't and if you would like to hear it. I think my playing sounds quite good here, but realize my singing has improved LOTS since 2007. Also, when I listen to the fiddle tunes I have uploaded there, I realize I was getting good at playing the fiddle! It's way about time to drag out that fiddle again!! I'm planning to take it to the oldtime event in Denmark in September.

Post subject: Re: When sorrows encompass me round
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:41 am 

Well sung and played even with a broken voice. Super song that was completely unknown to me before hearing you sing it. I agree with you that there is great comfort in singing and in playing instruments. Naturally it is songs with powerful lyrics like this one that can bring the deepest healing. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 pm 

Thank you for sharing that heartfelt song. As with Adrian, I was totally unaware of its existence prior to this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 pm 

No doubt about it, . . . that's the finest Swedish bluegrass gospel I've ever heard!

It's interesting, cuz your singing reminded me of a great uncle of mine. He would play the fiddle and sing soulful old "Tennessee hills gospel" songs. (his name for them) He would often quit playing and just sing the last half of the verse "sans fiddle." I remember occasions when there would be tears in his eyes and his voice would crack. Nobody ever had anything unkind to say about his performances, cuz he sang from his heart. I do remember when they'd be having a family jam session at a reunion or something, and he'd make a big "oopsie" (to use your terminology :)) and he'd say, "well, I'll be hanged" and everybody would laugh. I never quite knew what was funny about that, but I laughed because everybody else did. When I was 11 or 12 he packed up his dufflebag and strapped it to his motorcycle and told us he was heading off to visit Uncle Shorty in California. That was the last anyone ever saw of him. They never found a trace of him or his motorcycle. Strange, huh? But I'll always remember his fiddling and singing.

Well, that was a rabbit trail! Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep on singing.

-kevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:58 am 

Kevın
Interestıng story. Thanks for sharing. Sorry you lost your uncle. It's good you have happy memories of him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm 

Yes, sad that he disappeared, but all the memories of him were fond. At reunions someone would always say, "Well it looks like Owen isn't going to make it this year" and we'd share in a sad laugh. Not knowing what happened was hardest for grandpa, and the great aunts and uncles, but at least the memories were good.

-kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am 

Thanks guys! This song is a quite well known oldtime gospel song, it's been recorded by some great oldtimers such as Dirk Powell and Tom, Brad & Alice, and probably heaps more. Cool to read about your fiddling uncle, Kevin!!
Last night I played some fiddle again. It didn't go too bad!!!