Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Song 7 - Be Thou My Vision
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Ok everyone, Song 7 is Be Thou My Vision. Personally, I thought - that's one has already been done a lot, why are we going there?

Well this morning I found out why. Connie sent this PM:

I don't know if this is allowed, but there's this kid who used to be my student. He graduated from my school (into high school) and continued to take whistle lessons. Well, he's better than me now, so we still get together, but I don't charge for a lesson--it's just a session. His mom is a very good friend, and a big whistle fan, so we get together once a week or so.

Anyhow--here's the "Is this allowed?" part. Since he was a little tyke, Josh's favorite song has been "Be Thou My Vision." So ever since he's been a pennywhistler, he's been playing that song.

He's also registered on the board as "Whistlerboy," but--he's totally blind, and he has trouble getting his software to interface with message boards. SO...he's followed the PWA escapades as I've taken the time to read them to him. He's a big fan of the Praise Exchange, and Judy even sent him a Dixon to play once. (He'd been playing a Meg.)

So he wants to submit "Be Thou My Vision," so I recorded him playing it and put it in the upload folder. I hope that's all right.

If so--It's recorded on a Bb Susato. I've never heard the ornament he uses toward the end of the piece--the roll into a slide. So around here we call that the "Andrews roll/slide."

Is it allowed? Josh, we're all delighted to have you join in! What took you (and Connie) so long?!!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... n_josh.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:21 am 
Site Admin

By the way, if anyone needs the music or sound file, these are from Mark Bell's site:

music:
http://www.geocities.com/whistleandsque ... Vision.pdf

midi:
http://www.geocities.com/whistleandsque ... Vision.mid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 pm 

Wow .. Josh ... that was great. I am going back to the drawing board ... try to figure out what you were doing. I have wanted to be able to play it like that ... but was just going to do it straight as written. You gave me a new level to shoot for.

Sure am glad you decided to post and if Connie will tell me what software you are using ...may be able to help you on the boards. I have a friend .. her name is Kathy and she is blind. She gets on boards so think it can be done. She plays the keyboard and plays in her church as the regular piano/keyboard person. She is very cool and I play with her whenever I can. She can make that keyboard sing.

Again, glad to have you on .. keep sending up clips ... you have a lot of God given talent.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Jim. I think this is a great rendition. But it's not because you're playing certain notes; it's because you're using certain notes to say what you feel.

This struck me as a recording from a musician who knows his material well enough to not have to think about the notes, and allow the tune the freedom to express his heart while playing it. Those are always the best songs, regardless of arrangement or fancy recording gear.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:50 pm 

that had soul to it. thanks. do another song.

Post subject: Thanx Josh!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 pm 

Since I am working with music approx 24/7 I get a bit spoiled playing with and listening to great musicians. Your performance here is moving. It has soul, personallity and charachter. You have a great tone, your choice of notes to play is excelent and the phrasing is spot on. I really dig this

Ludwig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:57 pm 

I happened across it earlier today when I dropped Song #6 on the FTP site. I clicked it up on my computer so Mrs. Brasso could hear it as well. She loves it, too. 8)

Awesome! :mrgreen:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject: khl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Here is Keith's version. He writes: "This is a slight variation on the melody, played on an Abell Bb."

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... on_khl.mp3

Post subject: Re: Song 7 - Be Thou My Vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 am 

KittyR wrote:

Is it allowed? Josh, we're all delighted to have you join in! What took you (and Connie) so long?!!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... n_josh.mp3

Josh, you're awesome, man! My wife was actually in tears. She wants to see a pic of Josh with his whistle. So how about it, Connie? Can you post a pic on the Fellowship forum under the thread about the many faces of PWA?

I hope someday I can play as well as you do, Josh. How about posting some more tunes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Josh .... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Fantastic! I think that God led Connie to using whistles instead of recorders in her class simply to get the right instrument in your hands. What a talent you have. :thumbsup:

Next time anyone disparges the sound of a Susato, I'm referring them to this clip.

Keith, you're a brave soul to follow Josh's rendition so quickly. 8) It's great, as usual! Love the sound of that Abell -- now I want to replace the one I sold .... :?

It's interesting that both versions are played on Bb whistles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:25 am 

That was great both Josh and Keith. It sets a high standard to shoot for. I can tell you now my version won't be a Bb. For some reason I have trouble with Bb whistles.

We expect Josh to be a regular poster now.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:13 am 

keith's version is good for meditate days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:33 pm 

That's wow! I agree, it sounds like playing from inside. I'd like to see some posts from Josh. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:34 pm 

Am thinking I need to take up underwater basket weaving .... have never heard this song until now and after listening to Keith and Josh ... me thinks I should record mine under water. :shock: :-k :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:50 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Am thinking I need to take up underwater basket weaving .... have never heard this song until now and after listening to Keith and Josh ... me thinks I should record mine under water. :shock: :-k :D
Yeah, after hearing Josh's version, my wife told me, "There's no need for YOU to post this song, honey." My biggest fan, she is. :shock: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

[ahem] I remind everyone that the purpose of The Praise Exchange is not so much for comparing our talents, but to share our many diferent versions of tunes and encourage one another in learning to play (and record) better.

I can understand being blown away by Josh's rendition for it's wonderful. But I bet he would be just as pleased to hear all of our recordings as well. I know I would.

Let the fun resume!

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:07 pm 

KittyR wrote:
[ahem] I remind everyone that the purpose of The Praise Exchange is not so much for comparing our talents, but to share our many diferent versions of tunes and encourage one another in learning to play (and record) better.
And I AM inspired. But I'm going to pay tribute where it has been warranted, too. :)

Quote:
I can understand being blown away by Josh's rendition for it's wonderful. But I bet he would be just as pleased to hear all of our recordings as well. I know I would.
Mine is there now. It's played on a Syn C. I tried it on the Chieftain Bb but it seemed to be so loud that it screeched on the recording (at the point where the notes go up high). I tried a second time, further away from the mike, but no better. So I went for the quieter whistle this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:26 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
Yeah, after hearing Josh's version, my wife told me, "There's no need for YOU to post this song, honey." My biggest fan, she is. :shock: :mrgreen:

Oh yeah mine too. I went to play at a big artist gathering in Sweden last year. As soon as I walked in the door, I had all the artists except one asking me to sit in with them on this 4 hr concert ( i played for 3 hrs 43 mins of that) In the car on our way back to the hotel my wife said, it was all good, but i like this one artist the best, it sounded soooo professional.... who do you think it was? the only one I wasn't playing with :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
Mine is there now. It's played on a Syn C. I tried it on the Chieftain Bb but it seemed to be so loud that it screeched on the recording (at the point where the notes go up high). I tried a second time, further away from the mike, but no better. So I went for the quieter whistle this time.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ckhawk.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:32 pm 

Sounded good to me .... inspiration ... works for you!!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:44 pm 

TheViking wrote:
who do you think it was? the only one I wasn't playing with :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:11 am 
Site Admin

:-k ........ Sounds fine, Blackhawk. :D

You have your own nifty ornaments, your own style. That's why TPE is so cool. No one hears the song the same way in their heart -- all levels of talent accepted ... even me. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:20 am 

Judy K wrote:
:-k ........ Sounds fine, Blackhawk. :D

You have your own nifty ornaments, your own style. That's why TPE is so cool. No one hears the song the same way in their heart -- all levels of talent accepted ... even me. ;)

Was there any truth to the rumor that you had to give Kitty chocolate to let you on the board? :-k :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

None whatsoever. I only talk about chocolate here to make JUDY feel at home.

Here's is Jim's clip:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... Wright.mp3

This was the first time I have had to play anything above the high E ... and it forced me to really concentrate on my breathing. Used the Walton Mellow Dog in D ...that Tommy Tweaked ... it was the easiest to go up to the higher notes. Didn't know this song at all and it was a real learning process.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Having just returned home from my honeymoon some of the comments on this thread are really disheartening. TPE was not started to compare skills it was started for everyone to share their own thoughts and renditions on the songs chosen.

And on that note. I do not choose a song for TPE based on where it lies on the spectrum of having been done a lot or not. I chose them bases on if I think everyone here has a good shot at being able to play the tune. I feel I am in the middle of the road as far as talent goes around here so if I can squeak out a rendition then it is a good candidate. Has nothing to do with how many times a song has already been recording. Heck our first tune was Amazing Grace. Arguably 'done' more than any other spiritual song.

So.. please recall why we started this thing and post your own renditions of the songs even if you feel they are not as good as others that have been posted. By sharing we all grow.

If I am up to it I will finish listening to the rest of the already posted clips after dinner. Or since I have been on the road all day..maybe I will just go to bed :)