Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Shadoes! Did I miss the "Just Married" post? Congratulations!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:23 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

I am speechless ... for the most part.... congratulations .. glad you have joined the ranks of the ... hmmm .... blessed (my wife was too near to say otherwise :D ) It is a great life if you survive!!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Keith, that Abell plays like a dream! Beautiful tone. And I do like the alternative tune.

Blackhawk--another nice submission. I like the Syn whistle on that. Josh plays a Syn set. I never liked that set until I traded it to him to get the Judy Eb he was hoarding, and voila! Josh and the Syn set make a great combination. I like the lilt at the end of your tune. Both verses.

Jim--nice, slow and to be savored. And I do have a soft spot for the Mellow Dog. :D How did you set your reverb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:20 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Keith, that Abell plays like a dream! Beautiful tone. And I do like the alternative tune.

Blackhawk--another nice submission. I like the Syn whistle on that. Josh plays a Syn set. I never liked that set until I traded it to him to get the Judy Eb he was hoarding, and voila! Josh and the Syn set make a great combination. I like the lilt at the end of your tune. Both verses.

Jim--nice, slow and to be savored. And I do have a soft spot for the Mellow Dog. :D How did you set your reverb?

Used audacity and think it was about 6 ... I have no idea what I am doing ... just mess with it until it sounds ok .... wish I did understand it LOL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:

actually it was in the 'Gone For a few days post I made last week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:55 pm 

dear folks: shadoes had a good point on why songs are posted on TPE. i hadn't thought of this perspective. maybe when the "library" gets built up, we'll get to hear the less common songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:46 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Having just returned home from my honeymoon some of the comments on this thread are really disheartening.
If you take my sense of humor seriously, you'll get disheartened a lot. Or my wife's sense of humor, for that matter. Better to laugh with me and applaud good versions of this song, like Josh's, as I was doing, and all the rest, of course.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:51 am 

Thanks for the comments on the tune and for the various renditions. I agree wholeheartedly with the reminders that this isn't competition, but simply sharing and learning. I really do learn alot from hearing what others do, and I can't tell you how much recording and listening to what I play helps me learn about playing.

Just a quick response to a few comments/questions:

Judy and Ron: I played this in Bb mostly because the versions that I see in hymnals start on an Eb (with the lowest note being a Bb) and so I wanted to record that way without changing that. Of course, it sounds great in other keys as well.

Judy and Connie: The Abell really is a nice whistle. Of course, the various keys/whistles are different, each with its own personality. Overall, the Abells I have are my favorites mostly because they sort of fit the kind of music I most like to play and the way I like to play it.

The tune for Be Thou My Vision is Slane. I first heard and sang this to the words for "Take Time to Be Holy" and that is the version I followed here (with only the slight variations) and which I feel most at home with.

One of the things I like about Jim and Blackhawk's versions are that the metal whistles they use sound a little more traditional and therefore fitting for this traditional Irish tune. Somebody out there ought to give this a go on a Clarke original or a Sindt or a Feadog or a Little Black Whistle. The contrasts would be interesting. But whether that happens or not, the main thing is please record and post. It's intimidating in many ways, but it really is lots of fun--for you and for others to hear you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 am 

The great value to me of this exchange is the motivation I get to learn something new. I have sat around saying I should learn Be Thou My Vision for a long time and never got around to it.

I like to hear how others play things and the variety of whistles we play. I often hear a whistle and say I really want that. So far the only one I have acted on is Judy's Folk Flute number. I have been considering a flute for a long time. I wasn't sure what I wanted. Judy's number just hit the spot and her PM to me about the availability from Casey brought instant action.

BTW Keith I will probably record with a Feadog.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Can I tell you guys a little story?

I'll pretend you all said "yes."

When my oldest daughter was 12, her piano teacher entered her into a competitive sonatina festival for the first time.

So she got a pretty hard sonatina, and practiced and practiced. She was doing pretty well, but when the competition day approached, she began to cry and freak out, thinking she wasn't good enough.

I said, "honey, you seem to think that the reason we entered you into this competition was so that you'd win." She looked at me with this kind of "well yeah" look on her face. I said "sweetie, the reason you enter a competition is so that you'll get BETTER, not so you'll win. Winning is a nice side-effect for one lucky person, but the POINT is to get better. When you first got this piece of music, you couldn't even PLAY it; now look at you, you just zip right through it from memory. That's why we entered you; it forced you to get better. So you've already accomplished your goal. Now just go out there and show the judges how well you've done!"

That took all the pressure off her and she had a wonderful time performing.

Same here. We're all getting a little better, because we're having to learn and prepare something for others to hear. Isn't that cool? Otherwise, most of us would be lazy and not improve so much.

Plus, it's just plain fun (and often inspiring) to hear everyone's recordings. :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 pm 

Good point, Kitty. 8)

I feel as if my techniques, especially in the areas or arranging and recording, have improved greatly since "Amazing Grace". It seems like every time I record something, there's a new studio trick to try out. ;)

Shadoes, the original idea of starting with something very simple, then getting progressively more complex, is a good one. That way we can all not only enjoy other people's contributions, but also see how far we've come individually as musicians. 8)

khl wrote:
Somebody out there ought to give this a go on a Clarke original.

I will! I will! :mrgreen:

(I've become so attached to the Clarke, it looks like I may have to change my alias. Does anyone mind if I re-register with my WhistleThis alias?) :P

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:13 pm 

"brassblower":
Quote:
Shadoes, the original idea of starting with something very simple, then getting progressively more complex, is a good one. That way we can all not only enjoy other people's contributions, but also see how far we've come individually as musicians. 8)

Maybe we should keep a mix of simple and complex so those who are new to the board or new to the whistle have something they can play and record. (Of course there's always the old tunes as well that can still be recorded.)

I look forward, by the way, to hearing what Brassblower does with the Clarke and 'Be Thou My Vision.'

I also agree with Ron that one of the main helps that the Exchange gives is that it forces me to learn the tune. It also teaches me something as I try to figure out how I'll interpret it, what I want to 'say', etc.

Looking forward to more clips from all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Can I tell you guys a little story?

Plus, it's just plain fun (and often inspiring) to hear everyone's recordings. :)

Kitty
Oh sure, sour grapes. :mrgreen: I know it must be hard for all of you to post after hearing me play, but please folks, not everyone can play at my level. Just do the best you can and let's all learn from each other. It's a heavy burden to bear, having musical talent on my level, but I try to stay humble. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

brassblower wrote:
Does anyone mind if I re-register with my WhistleThis alias?)

You need not re-register. I can arrange for a userID change with the same account.

Unless you WANT to re-register.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a clip from Kristos:

This clip is played on a homemade copper D whistle with a hardwood block. Reverb added with Audacity. Not to much different from the usual playing, but this is how I play it. Enjoy!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ristos.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:36 pm 

Nice job, Kristos. So did you make this whistle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Ditto, Kristos! I too want to know who made that whistle. It's really nice.

Kristos, your style of playing is exactly something I've always wanted to hear a tinwhistle do. It makes me think of a movie with a rainforest in it...maybe some rope walkways through the trees to a labyrinth of treehouses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 pm 

KittyR wrote:
brassblower wrote:

You need not re-register. I can arrange for a userID change with the same account.

Hello, it's still me! ;)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:03 am 
Site Admin

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
KittyR wrote:
brassblower wrote:

Hello, it's still me! ;)

Cool name & avatar ... but you're gonna have to explain all the "Brass" & "Brasso" references, if anyone asks .... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Jim, the reverence you put in your music has always awed me. No doubt Who you play to.

Kris .. I like the sound of that whistle, too. Your music (and I wish you'd make longer clips!) always seems to say "I LOVE music!!" -- it's played with such ... vibrance.

(Edited twice ... I should never post without a dose of chocolate .... 8))

Last edited by Judy K on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:05 am 
Site Admin

which reminds I wanted to reccomend to everyone that you do at least two verses of any given song :) in the past we have had clips with only one verse and I always go..hmm.. maybe I didn't get the whole thing hehehe. TWO verses at least :) Let us actually get a chance to hear you :)

Post subject: JudyK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Here's one from Judy:

played the melody & harmony on my favorite, the Casey Burns folk flute with a Finale midi of piano, guitars & cello. The guitars & cello actually started life as a 4 part harmony for saxophones (soprano, alto, tenor & baritone). I do have a cold, so my breath control is worse than usual on this clip -- but it's hard to find enough time to record period, let alone do so over & over.

Learning experiences ... finally figuring out how to made the midis do what I want ... almost. Woohoo! -- it's fun! I'm driving the family nuts with it. 8) :mrgreen:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _JudyK.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:49 am 

nice job ... I haven't figured out the playing yet and you got the whole "gang" playing! =D> :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 am 
Site Admin

The "gang" did a fine job -- it's the bandleader that can't play! :roll:

I was hopng Kitty hadn't posted this yet. My ears must be stuffed up. What I heard through my earphones on Audacity isn't exactly what I'm hearing through Media Player. Think it would have been better without the flute harmony.

Oh well ... 'tis a learning experience .... right? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 pm 

Judy K wrote:
The "gang" did a fine job -- it's the bandleader that can't play! :roll:

I was hopng Kitty hadn't posted this yet. My ears must be stuffed up. What I heard through my earphones on Audacity isn't exactly what I'm hearing through Media Player. Think it would have been better without the flute harmony.

Oh well ... 'tis a learning experience .... right? :?

What? This is really nice. I can't say what you hear on Audacity that we aren't hearing, but it sounds good to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next