Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm 

Judy K wrote:
The "gang" did a fine job -- it's the bandleader that can't play! :roll:

I was hopng Kitty hadn't posted this yet. My ears must be stuffed up. What I heard through my earphones on Audacity isn't exactly what I'm hearing through Media Player. Think it would have been better without the flute harmony.

Oh well ... 'tis a learning experience .... right? :?

Judy, I would trust my sound editor much more than I would Windows Media Player for accurate sound reproduction. WMP, since it plays so many different file types, by necessity can't play any of them too accurately, or else the codecs alone would take up a huge amount of disc space. Apparently the space savings are gained by sacrificing bass response, resulting in loud, screechy trebles. Also, WMP has no EQ feature that I'm aware of.

The true test is to burn your results to a CD-R and play it on your home stereo.

Besides, I liked your track. 8)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Judy, this is AWESOME!! Don't take out the flute harmonies! Don't take out anything!! Wait'll I play this for Josh. That's some fine work there, young lady. As a whole package, it's your best yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:59 pm 

Oh Judy, Judy Judy you are not helping me to be patient. Don't take anything out. I love it the way it is.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I am WAY behind of responding to the recent clips - hope I don't forget anyone.

Keith - I like how you changed up each verse a little, and your playing does seem more relaxed on this than in other clips I've heard. Nice going.

I have an idea for you, if you happen to have a couple spare hours to spend. :)

You know how the 3rd verse had a little reverb added? I was thinking it would be neat to try and create the effect of two whistle players getting farther away and/or calling to one another as they go. So perhaps you'd set the 1st PHRASE of verse 1 panned almost all the way over to the left, with just a tad of reverb. The 2nd PHRASE (answering whistler) would be panned almost all the way over to the right. And so on.

Then for the 2nd and 3rd verses, just add more reverb to make them "farther away." Would that be cool?

I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to make a duplicate of your track, then pan one left and the other right, then delete the parts which the "other whistler" is supposed to be playing.

If you don't want to mess with it, perhaps I could give it a shot.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk - You are improving quite a bit, my friend! Getting smoother. :thumbsup:

However, if you're ready to have yet ANOTHER thing to think about while you're playing, :D the phrasing seems a bit off to me. (and this is entirely subjective since this tune has so many different versions and words)

To explain, the breaks for taking a breath or whatever seem to come in odd places, making the phrasing seem a tad disjointed. Now maybe it just seems this way to me because I know the song and I hear the words being sung in my head as I listen to the tune.

I would suggest for the future (or maybe re-do this one) that you try learning to sing the song first when possible, and then as you practice playing it, you'll really be "singing" it in your head, making the phrasing more natural.

Just my opinion.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Kristos - Beautiful, as always. :)

I really like the sound of your homemade copper whistle. You sent one to a friend of mine so I've actually played one. The sound which comes out of it is such a contrast to the rough look, it's a delightful surprise. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright - I think Judy said it nicely; you play with reverence. :)

You're improving too! But we need to get you a little help in getting more volume on your recordings. The signal is so low that when I turn it up enough to hear it, all the background noise also gets turned up.

There is always a bit of noise inherent in recording (hiss, equipment noise, or background noise) so you aim to reduce the noise and get more of whatever you're trying to record. (By the way, this is called the "signal-to-noise ratio") So when the listener turns up the volume, they get more of the sound without also amplifying a lot of the noise.

Maybe we could start another thread on how to do that, or I am also planning on including it in the Beginner Recording instructions.

Nice playing though. :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Judy - Give it up, girl, we love your rendition! Don't you dare take out the harmony flute.

Again, I think your accompaniment is overpowering the featured instrument just a bit. Try taking the piano track a little more to the background for this one; I wouldn't EQ the flutes brighter, I like the mellowness.

Nice job on the stereo panning to create a sense of sitting with the band around me. :)

Also there are a few out-of-tune spots to watch out for, but if you have a cold, then no wonder.

I think you have found a real niche here with creating your own midi-band. Very nice. Keep 'em coming. :)

Oh, one more thing. Are you playing with a click-track? Because I'd like to hear the beginning of the 2nd verse be a bit more precise in the timing.

Kitty

(Sorry, am I giving too much advice?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Connie, have you shared our comments with Josh yet?

I'd seriously take Jim up on that offer of trying to integrate the message board with some kind of software solution so that Josh can read and respond whenever he likes. We want him come out and play with us! :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:18 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Ok, I am WAY behind of responding to the recent clips - hope I don't forget anyone.

Keith - I like how you changed up each verse a little, and your playing does seem more relaxed on this than in other clips I've heard. Nice going.

I have an idea for you, if you happen to have a couple spare hours to spend. :)

You know how the 3rd verse had a little reverb added? I was thinking it would be neat to try and create the effect of two whistle players getting farther away and/or calling to one another as they go. So perhaps you'd set the 1st PHRASE of verse 1 panned almost all the way over to the left, with just a tad of reverb. The 2nd PHRASE (answering whistler) would be panned almost all the way over to the right. And so on.

Then for the 2nd and 3rd verses, just add more reverb to make them "farther away." Would that be cool?

I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to make a duplicate of your track, then pan one left and the other right, then delete the parts which the "other whistler" is supposed to be playing.

If you don't want to mess with it, perhaps I could give it a shot.

Kitty

I think you must be responding here to my version of "All Hail the Power" that you kindly posted for me yesterday (on the other thread, of course). Still, I appreciate the comments. I don't have time right now, or the know how, to fix up the clip in the way you suggest. But it sounds really interesting and if you'd like, please feel free to play around with it. I won't mind at all. (When I got through listening to my clip after I'd posted it, I thought it almost sounds like a parade passing, getting very close (with the Kerry Low Eb) and then getting further away.)

Cheers.

Last edited by khl on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Oh yes, I guess that was All Hail the Power. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I just got off the phone with Josh, reading some of the comments. He was pretty touched by the response. Says, Blackhawk, he's really blown away that the song had such an effect on your wife.

He also explained that his family hasn't had internet service for some time. :( While it would be fun having him online and playing along, at least we can pound out a few comments during our sessions, and he's enthused about learning some of the tunes we've already done. He already has done Amazing Grace in church, so maybe we'll get a recording of that this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:08 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Judy - Give it up, girl, we love your rendition! Don't you dare take out the harmony flute.

OK! OK! Sheesh ....

Quote:
Again, I think your accompaniment is overpowering the featured instrument just a bit. Try taking the piano track a little more to the background for this one; I wouldn't EQ the flutes brighter, I like the mellowness.

Somehow, I never get that to work right .... sigh ....

Quote:
Nice job on the stereo panning to create a sense of sitting with the band around me. :)

Well ... thanks ... I don't know how that happened (or exactly what that is ...) . Blind luck, I think. ;)

Quote:
Also there are a few out-of-tune spots to watch out for, but if you have a cold, then no wonder.

That was one of the things I didn't like on playback thru WMP. But, it's the cold .... really! :mrgreen:

Quote:
I think you have found a real niche here with creating your own midi-band. Very nice. Keep 'em coming. :)

Oh, one more thing. Are you playing with a click-track? Because I'd like to hear the beginning of the 2nd verse be a bit more precise in the timing.

Man ... you're getting so strict. Now you want the timing right? Picky, picky ... :laughing:

Quote:
(Sorry, am I giving too much advice?)

Nope! But you sure must have had a lot of free time yesterday. I appreciate the advice and gladly take all the help I can get. Thanks, Kitty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Keith, Connie ... Thanks!

Ron ... it will come soon. The hardest thing will be the 'break-in' time, when you want to play it longer than 15 minutes, simply because you can. And thanks!

Jim E. (aka Ren-Tin-10 & TAFKABB) -- So that's why what comes out of my car stereo sounds better than WMP? Wow! I would never have guessed it could make that much difference. Thank you, kind sir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 am 

Judy K wrote:
Jim E. (aka Ren-Tin-10 & TAFKABB) -- So that's why what comes out of my car stereo sounds better than WMP? Wow! I would never have guessed it could make that much difference. Thank you, kind sir!

***tail wagging happily***

Do I get a Milk-Bone for that? Make that a chocolate-covered Milk-Bone! :mrgreen:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Admin

a MILK-chocolate-covered Milk-Bone! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:02 am 

ConnieS wrote:
I just got off the phone with Josh, reading some of the comments. He was pretty touched by the response. Says, Blackhawk, he's really blown away that the song had such an effect on your wife.
Yeah, that was really touching. He really hit a chord in her heart. I'm betting he did that with more than just us. I'm looking forward to him posting more and more. He's such an inspiration to me (and us).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:07 am 

KittyR wrote:
Blackhawk - You are improving quite a bit, my friend! Getting smoother. :thumbsup:

However, if you're ready to have yet ANOTHER thing to think about while you're playing, :D the phrasing seems a bit off to me. (and this is entirely subjective since this tune has so many different versions and words)

To explain, the breaks for taking a breath or whatever seem to come in odd places, making the phrasing seem a tad disjointed. Now maybe it just seems this way to me because I know the song and I hear the words being sung in my head as I listen to the tune.

I would suggest for the future (or maybe re-do this one) that you try learning to sing the song first when possible, and then as you practice playing it, you'll really be "singing" it in your head, making the phrasing more natural.

Just my opinion.

Kitty
You make good sense, Kitty, and thanks. And one of the points you make is one I thought of posting when we began this enterprise. Amazing Grace of course we all know. But most of these since, I have never heard sung, and I can't really get a feel for unless I DO hear them sung. I gave thought to asking if anyone would volunteer to post themselves singing these songs so I could get a feel for it. But I didn't post that thought because I figured no one would volunteer.

I'll see if I can find a CD with someone singing this, and then re-record it. Although it might be after we get back from Israel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:51 am 

KittyR wrote:
Here's a clip from Kristos:

This clip is played on a homemade copper D whistle with a hardwood block. Reverb added with Audacity. Not to much different from the usual playing, but this is how I play it. Enjoy!

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ristos.mp3
Wow, Kris, that's excellent!! Do you make many whistles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Well, Blackhawk, I'm not a soprano, so it's really pretty seldom that a song works in the key of D (or G). But if you don't mind these songs being sung in Bb or A or C, I can sing 'em. I'm not a great singer like Kitty, but I can carry a tune and I collect old hymnals and such, so I usually have the songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

I bet Ed will sing 'em for you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:58 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
I bet Ed will sing 'em for you too.

HA!!... hehe... sheesh..lets see... find em..transpose em...post a pdf...midi.. and now sing em to?

Or are we talking about a different Ed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:49 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Well, Blackhawk, I'm not a soprano, so it's really pretty seldom that a song works in the key of D (or G). But if you don't mind these songs being sung in Bb or A or C, I can sing 'em. I'm not a great singer like Kitty, but I can carry a tune and I collect old hymnals and such, so I usually have the songs.
That works for me, Connie. I've learned to play Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, I Come to the Garden, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, etc, by ear from Alan Jackson's CD, and I have no idea what key he sings those in, but if I can sing them, and if there isn't a ton of half holing, I can play them. So that would help a lot, Connie, especially on this Be Thou/Vision, because my churches didn't sing it when I was growing up (like the ones on Alan Jackson's CD).

Thanks, Connie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I can't believe I agreed to this!!!! I forgot how much I dislike my voice on solos, so---I recorded a bunch of tracks so I could blend in. It's quickly done and the harmony is uncertain, but for the sake of the Praise Exchange...

And Blackhawk, I WAS tapping my foot, but I recorded so many tracks of myself that the computer hesitated and threw off the timing at the end. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:03 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Oh, I can't believe I agreed to this!!!! I forgot how much I dislike my voice on solos, so---I recorded a bunch of tracks so I could blend in. It's quickly done and the harmony is uncertain, but for the sake of the Praise Exchange...

And Blackhawk, I WAS tapping my foot, but I recorded so many tracks of myself that the computer hesitated and threw off the timing at the end. :?

A true trooper ... and I will believe that bit about the computer ... it sounds possible ... and may use it myself .. given the need!! :laughing:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next