Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Stripping vocals off of music
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 am
Posts: 664
Location: Central Texas
Can audacity be used to strip vocals off of a song and use the remainder as an accompaniment tape? If not .. is there something out there that will work.

If we covered this before .. I have slept since then and don't recall.

_________________
We are not perfect .... just forgiven!


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 491
I have seen some things advertised that claim to do it but not sure how well they work


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 59
Location: kanawha county, wv
could someone please find the answer to this? i know a very dear person who would like the answer to this. she sings like nobody's business too. this aspect of music doesn't interest me in the least.

i would also like to know when musical equipment sound systems are going to go wireless. i would very much like to quit stepping on that wire coming out of my guitar. this doesn't make for much spirituality in church.

_________________
don't believe everything you think.


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 491
guitar and microphone rigs have had wireless capability for quite some time


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:14 pm
Posts: 59
Location: kanawha county, wv
then why it that wire still there and why does that wire keep getting in the way? i am completely electronically illiterate and prefer to remain that way. could you post a link to a website that sells this kind of stuff?

_________________
don't believe everything you think.


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1263
Wireless mics are more expensive. Start by going to ebay and search for wireless guitar pickups or amps. Then, when you see something you think you might like, google it to learn more about it.

As far as Audacity doing that, I've heard it could do that on some songs. I've tried it exactly the way it's supposed to work, but I guess I don't have any of the right songs. Or...it doesn't work. But there are expensive pieces of equipment out there that really do work.


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:52 pm
Posts: 633
Location: Colorado, USA
It is my understanding that the way software does this is by taking out whatever is "right in the middle" of the mix.

For instance, when I mix a song, I might pan the guitar a little off-center to one side (over to the left speaker) and the whistle a little off-center to the other side (right speaker). But I will leave my vocal right in the center.

There are programs and devices which can strip out what is exactly center and leave everything else. So your success kind of depends on how the song was originally mixed. For the most part, it works fairly well with only leaving a bit of a "ghost" of the original vocal in the background. But if anything else was in the center, it will be removed as well.

I have a program called The Amazing Slow Downer which has a "Karaoke" setting that supposedly does this, but I've never tested it.

Kitty

_________________
"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things."
Isaiah 45:7 NIV


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 am
Posts: 232
It is raining here again.


Last edited by Tommy on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:43 pm
Posts: 141
Location: Sparta. NC USA
IIRC Winamp has a plugin for Karaoke.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Norway
.... but here goes.

Vocal elimination is an incredibly tricky process if you want it done properly. If you’re just going to use it around the house there are a lot of cheap or even free plug-in that work fairly well. With these plug-ins you get a 50-75% elimination rate. There will still be some vocals left on tracks made with these kinds of programs and plug-in. The semi pro and pro versions will eliminate up to approx 90%, but we’re talking some serious smackaroonies for those programs. Even with the tools of the professionals 100% vocal elimination is basically impossible.
With the cheaper methods you’re often left with a dull sounding recording since it cancels not only what is dead center in the mix, but also the frequencies of the human voice and that will affect guitars, keys, woodwinds and so on. ¨

If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.

_________________
Oh no, the vikings are comming ;o)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:52 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! =D>


Last edited by Adrian on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Norway
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha

_________________
Oh no, the vikings are comming ;o)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 am
Posts: 664
Location: Central Texas
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:

_________________
We are not perfect .... just forgiven!


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Norway
Jim Wright wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:


On a scale from one to ten? haha, according to himself he looks like a mix between a furball and a teletubby bless his heart. Hehe no he is quite a handsome fellow

_________________
Oh no, the vikings are comming ;o)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:50 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
TheViking wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:


On a scale from one to ten? haha, according to himself he looks like a mix between a furball and a teletubby bless his heart. Hehe no he is quite a handsome fellow


We need pix!


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 am
Posts: 664
Location: Central Texas
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:


On a scale from one to ten? haha, according to himself he looks like a mix between a furball and a teletubby bless his heart. Hehe no he is quite a handsome fellow


We need pix!


True .. My mother told me ...you could never trust Vikings!!! :D

_________________
We are not perfect .... just forgiven!


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Rhode Island
Hi all - Haven't done much posting lately - I really need to simplify my schedule! I know you asked about software and this is hardware - but if it works it might save some time and effort. Alesis makes a CD player which can be change tempo and pitch. Its called a Playmate Vocalist. It also claims to remove most or all lead vocals but I have never used this feature.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
Jim Wright wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:


On a scale from one to ten? haha, according to himself he looks like a mix between a furball and a teletubby bless his heart. Hehe no he is quite a handsome fellow


We need pix!


True .. My mother told me ...you could never trust Vikings!!! :D


Jim
Did your mother have a bad experience with Vikings?


 Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
The Vikings were not all bad. Remember that the earliest whistles found in Ireland were Viking ones. ;)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ok, I might bore you with this....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 am
Posts: 664
Location: Central Texas
Adrian wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Adrian wrote:
TheViking wrote:
If you can’t find the music without vocals, or can’t afford it even tho you find it, I suggest the following. Look for the midi files for these songs. There are a lot of websites with enormous amounts of free downloadable midi files. These files usually sound crappola and a half when you play them on your comp. However if you have a friend with a decent synth, you can get those files to sound awesome with minimal tweaking and record them to your computer, your minidisc or any other media you choose.


What a good idea! [-o<


haha thanx
As one of my co workers say.... "ludwig you're not as stupid as I look" haha


Hmmmm .... how bad does he look ????? :-k :laughing: :laughing:


On a scale from one to ten? haha, according to himself he looks like a mix between a furball and a teletubby bless his heart. Hehe no he is quite a handsome fellow


We need pix!


True .. My mother told me ...you could never trust Vikings!!! :D


Jim
Did your mother have a bad experience with Vikings?

Not sure how that came about .... we didn't have alot of them in Texas .... :laughing:

_________________
We are not perfect .... just forgiven!


 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group