jimwasson

More adventures in home ownership

On Monday, my daughter noticed a hole open up (about softball size) in our driveway, which is topped with limestone. That hole has since enlarged to volleyball size, and is larger beneath the surface. Seems that there is an old septic tank located there, and the lid has collapsed. (The city says that the sewer connection happened in 1948.) The tank needs to be collapsed and filled, and we have contacted a company about this. Kind of interesting, as this problem was not even remotely on our radar.

I have a picture, but can't really figure out how to share here.
Susanne
Site Admin

Re: More adventures in home ownership

When I read about the hole being larger below the surface, the first thing I thought was “oh no, not a sinkhole!”. A septic tank sounds much better!

To share photos here, you need to have the photo stored somewhere (Flickr or the likes) that allows you to embed or link to it., then click the image icon in the editor here, and insert the url. Maybe it’s not as easy to find places for that kind of photo sharing anymore as it used to be. I decided to disable uploads here for security/storage reasons but maybe with so few members I could see what options there are.
Judy K

Glad the problem was found before anyone was hurt, Jim.
jimwasson

Yes, very thankful there were no injuries. Now if we can just find someone to take care of crushing and filling the tank, we'll be in business.
jimwasson

Had 2 companies come out and give estimates; one was going to excavate over the top, break in and remove the top, fill with sand, and recover with limestone (which we have.) The second company was going to remove the tank / haul it away, then fill with road gravel and re-cover with the limestone. The quote from each was $2500.

We did a little digging and knocked in the portion of top which had fallen in. Looks like, instead of a septic tank, it was a cement block enclosure with cement paving blocks covering it and a pipe going into the ground, likely as a well pipe. We have a well company coming out to look at it on Monday, but I'm guessing not much will need to be done to it. The enclosure is 32" x 32" x about 36" deep. Glad we did not agree to either bid yet.
Judy K

Jim, could it have been a drainage or entrapment area for roof drains run-off?

Seems like you've found a mystery inside a conundrum.

Return to “Mingle and chat”